GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I configured my '16 Volt to charge at 12 amps when I'm at home (location-based charging). As far as I remember, this has worked fine for the first 1.5 years I owned the Volt. Recently, however, I notice that whenever I leave for a short trip (say, 20 minutes) and then return home, the car doesn't recognize that it's back home. It tells me it's Away and sets the charging parameters accordingly (8 amps, immediate).

Is this normal? The difference between now and the last 1.5 years is that I now have the charge mode set to departure time, rather than immediate, which I'd been using almost exclusively previously.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Others have experienced having to periodically, i.e. every 6 months, reset the home location.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Others have experienced having to periodically, i.e. every 6 months, reset the home location.
This is a totally different issue. It happens multiple times within a period much shorter than 6 months (e.g., 2 weeks).

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Maybe poor GPS reception. If you park inside a garage is the garage door open or closed when you begin charging expecting the home location to be recognized and the 12 amp charge setting?

·
Registered
675 Posts
could be a 12v battery connection problem too. My 2017 volt was also forgetting that my preferred display was modern enhanced, and forgetting my home location fairly often. I later discovered there was a lose cable on my 12v battery, discovered independent of this problem, though I think the two problems may have been related.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unlikely to be poor GPS reception as it worked fine for 1.5 years. No new buildings or anything nearby. And I park outside.

I just tightened the 12v battery cables myself a couple of weeks ago, so loose canles are possible but unlikely.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Unlikely to be poor GPS reception as it worked fine for 1.5 years. No new buildings or anything nearby. And I park outside.

I just tightened the 12v battery cables myself a couple of weeks ago, so loose canles are possible but unlikely.
You do realize there are scheduled GPS Satellite Outages in the system during the year...:)

You can follow these events on sites such as these...

http://navigationservices.agi.com/SatelliteOutageCalendar/SOFCalendar.aspx

https://www.gps.gov/support/user/

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts