GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Volt has to be parked on the right side of my garage, putting the charge connector in the middle of the garage. I needed a creative solution and here it is on You Tube: https://youtu.be/gy8bWIdxnto

The total cost was about $1,000 ($250 electrician, $200 for MyLifter and $550 for ChargePoint unit). Since I got a very reduced price on my Volt (end of year incentives), I consider $1,000 for the home station to still be a value.

Let me know if you want more specifics.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Interesting solution. I have the same layout in my garage and I was thinking of something similar, but my idea was to mount the charger on the wall and just run the cable up to the ceiling and lower the cable end somehow. And rather than use a smart phone to activate it I was thinking of using an ultrasonic proximity sensor to detect when the car was occupying the space to trigger the cable to be lowered and raised automatically. Or perhaps to just have a switch hanging from the ceiling that I could reach up and press instead of having to deal with turning on the smart phone and opening up an app.

Grandiose plans! But I just got my Chevy Bolt and haven't gotten a charger yet - so I'm still using the EVSE that came with the car, and I'm finding that having the cable run across the floor when it's plugged in is really not all that bad. So I may just shelve my scheme.

Good to know about the lifting device, though. I'll have to file that little bit of knowledge away in case I need it some day.

Thanks for the post!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts