GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a large gap/ hole in the fabric that is located around the back left rear tire? It seems that rain, snow, etc can easy get inside this area. I picked up my first Volt last night ( '16 Premiere Volt) and noticed the gap after I got home. I saw 3 other '16's on the dealership lot and they all had this same gap. Any ideas? It seems like a piece is missing.

I have attached photos. In one of the photos I put a flashlight inside the hole so you have a better visual how large of a gap I am referring to.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Does anyone else have a large gap/ hole in the fabric that is located around the back left rear tire? It seems that rain, snow, etc can easy get inside this area. I picked up my first Volt last night ( '16 Premiere Volt) and noticed the gap after I got home. I saw 3 other '16's on the dealership lot and they all had this same gap. Any ideas? It seems like a piece is missing.

I have attached photos. In one of the photos I put a flashlight inside the hole so you have a better visual how large of a gap I am referring to.
I just checked, and my Volt has the same gap. It looks like the partition in that location does not fit propoerly, or maybe that's the way it was intended. There is a hole on the bottom which may be for drainage.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You took delivery with those horrible scatches and/or spots in the paint just after the wheel?

·
Registered
473 Posts
You took delivery with those horrible scatches and/or spots in the paint just after the wheel?
They are reflections of his fingers and sunlight on the ground.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you Volerado for being the observant one :) You are correct. No scratches, it was the reflection of the sun. I didn't catch that, I was concentrating on the gap in the wheel well and trying to bring this matter to the attention of the group.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Holy crap. That gap looks terrible. Chevy should be ashamed for letting that go to market.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
They are reflections of his fingers and sunlight on the ground.
Good point. Took a zoomed in look at the pic and one can see fingers holding the phone. I guess that it Samsung Galaxy S2. Looks like you are wearing black cap also.

Ok. My bad :) Gz on the new car.

And that gap looks bad. I guess that Gen2 did not get the plastic inner part and that gap is legt there due to poor match on the opposite parts. On northern areas (road salt) I would prolly take it for sealing/rust proofing.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The pics are kinda small. Maybe we can get some bigger ones.

Daylight showing through looks bad, as do the ragged edges. Hard to tell.......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mister Dave (and others),

It seems that this an issue with the 2016's. Are the interior wheel wells of the other model years fabric material (like the '16) or are they harder plastic with no large gaps for the snow, salt, rain, and to go into? I have a '14 Chevy Camaro and the interior wheel wells are all hard plastic lined.

Mister Dave I'll work on trying to post a larger picture but it seems I'm limited by the file size I can upload to the site.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just to be clear, i've done some poking around with it, and it is a finished hole, the edges aren't ragged (at least on mine) and it's present on both sides of the car, not just the Driver's. I'm not certain why it's there, but it definitely looks intentional.

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
Just to be clear, i've done some poking around with it, and it is a finished hole, the edges aren't ragged (at least on mine) and it's present on both sides of the car, not just the Driver's. I'm not certain why it's there, but it definitely looks intentional.
Looks to me based on the ledge/indentation that there is/was supposed to be another piece there. The passenger side shows that muffler.

[I'm not in one of the approved states so I may wait for you guys to take the lead and get this fixed. If GM doesn't do it I may pop-rivet something there]

Image: http://i.imgur.com/adf12OF.png

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
More and more vehicles are using the organic material as opposed to using plastic.

·
Registered
473 Posts
More and more vehicles are using the organic material as opposed to using plastic.
Organic? I believe it's still plastic, just woven and formed instead of molded. Lighter weight and sound deadening are the supposed benefits.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
674 Posts
Just checked mine, has same openings as in the photos. Seems a bit strange but I'm sure someone will report back on this issue.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts