GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IMG_2548.JPG

Bought a new 2017 Volt Friday, Monday in the shop because main display stopped working. Now I'm being told "the H.I.M. module which controls the programming of each button in your car must be replaced". There are no parts available, looking like a minimum of 2 weeks before the part can be taken off the assembly line and shipped to the dealer. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Photo shows what display showed after coming back on.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
You are the first as far as I know. Buy a lottery ticket!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had my display stop working and go black on the way home after picking up my 2017 volt at the dealer three weeks ago. Since the dealers repair shop was already closed I checked the fuse box to see if it fuse was blown, it wasn't, when I put the fuse back in the central display started working and everything has been fine since. I now have 800 miles on it. I don't know if the fuse was just loose or if pulling it allowed something to reset. I wonder if that might have worked for you, also.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
I've had mine fail 3 times. First time they reprogrammed it. Second time they replaced the module. Third time they replaced the actual LCD screen. Been fine for a couple of months.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?237730-Console-LCD-screen-dead
Yeah I'm in the club too... had mine replaced after 4 months, then 2 months later the screen went out again, but I'm not sure if the HMI was replaced again (didn't understand the part # & description on the RO) or just the video cable.

Has been fine for 3 months except for last week the screen went out with nothing plugged into the USB, I cussed it out and 10 seconds later it came back on and has been fine since then.

So yep as noted in the other thread referenced above, the OP is not the first. But I passed 30k miles a couple days ago and this has been the only issue so I'm happy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I am now being told that on the 2017 Volts this module is encoded with the VIN number and there are no parts available that can be reprogrammed with my cars VIN number. So they are having to have one designed... At least the dealer stepped up and provided me with a "loaner" Volt until there is a final decision on whether this vehicle can be repaired or bought back.

·
Registered
568 Posts
So I am now being told that on the 2017 Volts this module is encoded with the VIN number and there are no parts available that can be reprogrammed with my cars VIN number. So they are having to have one designed... At least the dealer stepped up and provided me with a "loaner" Volt until there is a final decision on whether this vehicle can be repaired or bought back.
You are lucky you got a loaner volt -- my 2017 has been in the shop for 2 weeks now over the AC not working. Replaced compressor, didn't fix it, had to order some special fuse that's on national back order. All I got for a lonaner is a Cruz. (requested a volt said they don't have any avail)

If i had a volt loaner (even a 1st gen) I'd be pretty happy as it would take a big chunk away from gas I buy to commute. (70 miles a day) The past 2 weeks I've basically been paying for a car I can't use, and throwing money out the window in the form of Gasoline I would otherwise not be buying if my brand new car actually worked.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
So I am now being told that on the 2017 Volts this module is encoded with the VIN number and there are no parts available that can be reprogrammed with my cars VIN number. So they are having to have one designed...

Infotainment System Programming: USB or SPS

When programming the HMI, it will not allow the installation of the same software version on a USB flash drive. If the same software is detected, the installation process will not start.

TIP: HMI damage may a result if the incorrect software is installed using USB programming. Be sure to select Human Machine Interface Control Module – USB Copy/USB File Transfer for each specific VIN be programmed. TIS2Web will check the software currently loaded on the USB flash drive. If the files are incorrect for the vehicle, the files will be deleted and the correct files will be loaded to the USB. When the USB flash drive is loaded with the correct files, a warranty code will be provided.

While I doubt GM is busy creating an unique HMI 'designed' for your Gen2, there very well could be a shortage of these parts that could then be programmed by your GM service dept for your Volt although I could be wrong...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Mine was damaged during the Android Auto update performed by the dealership tech, so they had to replace mine. It took about a week for it to get shipped then fixed.

Hopefully yours gets taken cafe of sooner then later. Maybe a volt advisor can help you expedite the process if there is a delay that the dealership is unable to resolve. You can contact them at 877-486-5846. They may be able to provide some supplemental information. Good luck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Are all of these occurrences on Gen 2 or are there also cases reported for Gen 1? Can you still drive the Volt with this screen bad and operate the physical controls?

I wonder if Gen 1 will allow the use of the buttons in the center dash when screen is bad.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Are all of these occurrences on Gen 2 or are there also cases reported for Gen 1? Can you still drive the Volt with this screen bad and operate the physical controls?

I wonder if Gen 1 will allow the use of the buttons in the center dash when screen is bad.
With my G2, i drove the car while they ordered the part. However, I pulled 2 fuses becuase i didn't want the screen to burn in the image that the OP displayed. So one fuse was for the screen to go out and a 2nd fuse was for a noise that was coming through the speakers. After i pulled the two then i was ok. However, no radio or media was available through the drivers display although i tried many different ways to get it to work. I can remember if i was able to play my phone through aux or not. My gut says no.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I had been thinking of springing for a 2017 at the end of the year when deals are likely to be around. After this thread and other posts about Gen 2s "grounded" for parts unavailability, waiting for a Gen 2.1 might be a better strategy!

·
Registered
4 Posts
So my panel would simply go black and occasionally display "Loading maps" before going black again. Got my Volt on July 7, and this happened on July 22. Was told that I needed a new HMI and have been waiting for 30 days as of today to get this fixed. As of today I'm still waiting for the HMI to be available and off backorder. Seriously considering calling it a lemon (I'm in Ohio and 30 days in the shop is one of requirements) because it took less time to get my car custom ordered and delivered to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm seriously thinking that GM has put 100% of manufacturing capacity to getting the Gen 2 rolled out across the country and left nothing for any kind of parts inventory. My car now qualifies legally as a lemon because it has been in the shop so long while the dealer waits for the part I need.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts