GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love my brand new 2014 Volt Premier (yes...new in July 2016, with a heck of a dealer discount), even with the occasional electronics problems [backup camera that wouldn't stay on in reverse one night, battery warning icon twice in the first 1,400 miles, different XM station on restarting the car, same miles but different gas used on A (6.2 gals) and B (6.4 gals) tripmeter] and a defroster that fogs the windshield in extremely hot and humid weather. But, I'm just over 6 feet tall and there is no way to get in without hitting, scraping or brushing my head on the door frame. I guess I can lower the seat, but I'd look like a 90 year old grandmother in a Crown Vic and I won't be able to judge front distances when parking and in bumper-to-bumper traffic. If the car had electric memory seats, it wouldn't be an issue, but I don't feel like raising my seat every time I drive and lowering it before exiting; it's hard enough to remember to change to 12A charging before shutting down for the evening. Note: I have plenty of headroom, once I'm in the seat. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Love my brand new 2014 Volt Premier (yes...new in July 2016, with a heck of a dealer discount), even with the occasional electronics problems [backup camera that wouldn't stay on in reverse one night, battery warning icon twice in the first 1,400 miles, different XM station on restarting the car, same miles but different gas used on A (6.2 gals) and B (6.4 gals) tripmeter].....
If you haven't done it yet, take it in for 2014-15 Volt Bulletin# 15-NA-081 software update. (link)

I'm 6', have bumped my head a couple of times, but seem to manage otherwise. My problem is scraping on the B-pillar getting in and out. Makes me wish for a 2-door.

·
Registered
208 Posts
my drivers seat sits on a platform attached to the floor, and my passenger seat is about a foot lower.
I have to dip my head if I am first at the traffic lite so I can see the signal
I have hit my head a few time either getting in or getting out of my car

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I'm around 5'11", and I don't have your problem. I bend over enough not to hit my head.

But you really can't just give height. There's a question of proportions.
My wife has the same inseam as me, but I'm several inches taller. I have a long torso and my wife has a short torso.

It is a low car so I can understand that taller people could hit their head.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello 6 feet 1 inch. There is a technique. Butt first, and keep your head low and swing it in.
I will also often brush the hair on the door door frame. After I hit the head two or three times I stop doing that. That was many years ago

·
Registered
249 Posts
At 6' 1" and a long torso, it's definitely about butt first and how far back. I actually have a harder time getting in the passenger side for some reason, although don't have headroom problem on either side once in.

The other compromise I've made for the car involves the ability to see traffic lights easily. This prismatic lens works great for those who need it -- no more crooked neck trying to get your head forward enough to see the lights. http://lightinsight.com/

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
I'm just over 6 feet tall and there is no way to get in without hitting, scraping or brushing my head on the door frame.
I'm 6'2" and never hit, scrape or brush my head on the door frame.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I have banged my head a few times. 5'10

I developed the habit of bending my head down on the way in and butt first like others have mentioned.

·
Registered
197 Posts
5'11 and no issue with hitting head.

Don't ignore that battery warning. Many of us have experienced a failure of the 12V battery, which ends up bricking the car. Sometimes it's just a loose connection (such as in my case), but if the battery is old (possible since your car is at least 2 years old), make sure to have it replaced.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
6'4" and no trouble entering or exiting the car, but, I will note that the Volt does ride a few inches lower than a comparable sedan would due to the effort to reduce the CdA. My other car until recently was a 350Z so the Volt seems big to me. I would try moving the seat down just a touch, still maintaining the relatively high driving position but giving you a seat that is just a bit lower.
One of my problems with the Volt cured itself, and I would bet your entry issues with the Volt will cure itself in a similar way. When I pull up to an intersection with pedestrians and bicyclists at a 45 degree angle to the front right and front left of me, sometimes the A Pillar will completely cover them up. If they start to move or if I forget they are there, I can turn into them and only see them when the car moves and unmasks them or they move far enough to come out from behind the Pillar.
I have noticed that when I stop at a Stop Light now, I tend to tip my head to the side to unmask the area behind the Pillar before I get the green light. I didn't even notice I was doing it, but it happens every time now. I would bet that you will find yourself comfortably getting into your Volt in a very slightly different way in a week or two and laugh about how it is now second nature. Lowering the seat a bit could be half the battle.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
6', never hit.
Guess it's all in the technique. I didn't do anything special, was how I always get into cars, so can't really comment further.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Dude just lower your seat, no reason not to unless you have some kind of medical condition making it difficult to exit/enter.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
554 Posts
6'7", I've bonked my head a few times getting into my wife's car. I'm rarely in that car, so it's usually been just long enough to remember to duck. If it was my daily, I'd remember.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts