GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Yeah - that kind of a hit will do significant damage. Unlike hitting another car, you basically hit a stationary object that could not absorb any of the physical energy from your vehicle.

Hope you and your passengers are okay.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
1.7 ton vehicle moving at 30km/h hitting immovable object.. I'd expect damage since the force is about 60KJ (or about 5 shots with Barrett .50 rifle).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wife was driving and she was alone in the car. She is OK. definitely not 30 MPH, she was trying to squeeze by between a car turning left and this curb. She says she was doing 5, maybe 10 MHP at most.

The entire trim under doors came off, as all the the wheel well cover, I am not even sure where the whole thing started.

·
Administrator
20,786 Posts
Ugh, sorry the inside lap maneuver did not turn out as expected. Have you gotten a repair estimate yet?

On a lighter side, she's ready for the big leagues...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Wife was driving and she was alone in the car. She is OK. definitely not 30 MPH, she was trying to squeeze by between a car turning left and this curb. She says she was doing 5, maybe 10 MHP at most.

The entire trim under doors came off, as all the the wheel well cover, I am not even sure where the whole thing started.
30km/h is just 18mph. Doing 30mph (48km/h) would triple the energy. Due to velorcity to energy being exponential running at 10mph would only cause hit of 16KJ so I do believe that the speed was considerably more than just 10mph and more inline to 15-20mph.

Looking at the damage I'd say that the side hit the drain iron bar, pulled it out a bit and wheel hit the iron from the corner (there seems to be no damage to side weld which is lower than the blocks top). Wheel went up with enough force to top the shock and the metal bar fractured from bottom and teared off over the top afterwards (you can see the fracture at bottom and tearing on top from pic 4). After that the wheel collapsed and spring fell off. Shock is probably near the impact point. Just too much force for the square pipe.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Dash Cam video
Surprisingly low speed compared to damage. You can clearly see that the drain iron block is already protruding before the hit. From the sound there's two separate hits, assume side + wheel. And looking it at slow motion confirms that it first hits the iron block on the plastics (sound 1) and then the wheel hits it (sound 2, bump up first and then "drag turn") unable to go over it. Car is still accelerating at the moment of impact.

Any change that you've had similar hit earlier which could have cracked the beam and this impact just opened it (not likely as the fracture surface looks metallic)?

Possible case for road maintenance?

Material defect?

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I would think that the municipality or whichever entity is responsible for the road is at fault and should be required to cover the repair. If the car insurance has comprehensive coverage, then putting in a claim to the insurance company might be the way to go.

·
Administrator
20,786 Posts
I would think that the municipality or whichever entity is responsible for the road is at fault and should be required to cover the repair. If the car insurance has comprehensive coverage, then putting in a claim to the insurance company might be the way to go.
Yes, that block of cast iron was sticking out and in a spot the driver would not normally notice as they are looking at traffic, not low down at the curb. I imagine it was a pleasant day until then. I feel sorry for your wife. She feels awful I'm sure.

·
Registered
511 Posts
After watching the damage , it is time for a Hummer EV which probably would not have suffered any trouble with the protuding obstacle. Good luck with the repairs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. Driver's are expected to encounter and deal with these issues, not blindly squeeze by traffic then blame the municipality. There's no way this was 10 mph at the most. It ripped the side skirt off, ripped the unibody, completely ripped off the rear spindle and sent the spring into the grass. Nothing is built that weak.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier Citron Green
60 Posts
More like she did not stop at the first sign that something was wrong. With front wheel drive, the front pulled the rest of the vehicle over the protruding cast iron curbing.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Ugh what did the insurance man say?

·
Administrator
20,786 Posts
The dash cam video showed a fairly slow pull-out from the exit and in about a second, the big oh-oh moment. Not anything she could have done other than not being so close to the curb to begin with.

I wonder if the Cruize self-driving cars would have avoided it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts