GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit a Deer this morning with the passenger front headlight area of my 2012 Volt. I noticed coolant leaking and opened the hood and noticed the Engine Coolant tank was emptying but the Battery Coolant side was full. It was a cold morning and the traction battery was fully charged so I thought I could drive a few miles to the Collision Shop.

My 2012 Volt with 150,000 started to slow down to about 35mph and I noticed that it would intermittently lose propulsion for a second or two every 10 seconds or so. It started to slow further and as I was slowing through 15mph I pulled over and had it towed.

I had the Check Engine Light on but no other messages.

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
623 Posts
The onboard charger resides below the passenger headlight assembly. How bad was the impact damage?

If you compromised the cooling system for the ICE, there is likely a coolant level sensor that triggered the Reduced propulsion mode to protect things from further damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,17 volt
1,036 Posts
I hit a Deer this morning with the passenger front headlight area of my 2012 Volt. I noticed coolant leaking and opened the hood and noticed the Engine Coolant tank was emptying but the Battery Coolant side was full. It was a cold morning and the traction battery was fully charged so I thought I could drive a few miles to the Collision Shop.

My 2012 Volt with 150,000 started to slow down to about 35mph and I noticed that it would intermittently lose propulsion for a second or two every 10 seconds or so. It started to slow further and as I was slowing through 15mph I pulled over and had it towed.

I had the Check Engine Light on but no other messages.

Any Ideas?
intermittently lose propulsion- sounds like you hit a buck:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main damage is below the passenger headlight, with some metal protruding through the bumper. Thx for the location of the charger. I just am curious as to why the propulsion started cutting in and out without a message pertaining to the check engine light being on. It's at the collision shop now. Hoping they do not total it. This forum has been great in giving accurate information on other issues I have had.

I currently do most of my own maintenance on the Volt and can run diagnostics and module reprogramming etc. but did not have an opportunity to get it home this time.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
If you compromised the cooling system for the ICE, there is likely a coolant level sensor that triggered the Reduced propulsion mode to protect things from further damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is not. I had a leak in my radiator hose for the ICE coolant and I drove it for almost a week with virtually no coolant in it. Ran at full power with no issues, I just had no heat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts