GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I have been enjoying my 2012 Volt for the past year and added 15,000 miles and just had the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message appear. I'm not sure if the previous owner ever had the coolant purged of air and topped off. I noticed the battery coolant was low and was going to top it off however there is a metal lock on the cap. I could cut it off but was wondering if possibly this was added by the Chevy service department after it was serviced for the same problem previously. Has anyone ever noticed this and if so how do you remove the locking mechanism? Thank you in advance.
Rod

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
It's held on by a 10MM bolt under the front cowling. Its meant to keep people from putting the wrong fluid in. Some people think that you can just top-off with tap water, soda pop, distilled water, etc.

Once the low level alert is triggered I think you need to take it in to have the dealer reset. There is also a service bulletin on 2012's that instructs the dealer to purge, refill, pressure test to make sure you don't have a leak.

·
Registered
266 Posts
MY2012 did the same thing last year and was just low on fluid. I guess after so long it burns off, evaporates or whatever. You can remove the locking collar and add THE CORRECT FLUID, but like Sterverino said above, the dealer will most likely purge, refill and leak test it to be sure there is not an underlying problem. Mine was done for free; however, I purchased if from this dealer and they have not charged me for anything they have done yet.

I now keep an eye and track the levels and if they do slowly go down over a long period of time, I would probably add the fluid myself. If the levels drop within a month or two, I would have the dealer check it out.

3,600 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have been enjoying my 2012 Volt for the past year and added 15,000 miles and just had the "Service High Voltage Charging System" message appear. I'm not sure if the previous owner ever had the coolant purged of air and topped off. I noticed the battery coolant was low and was going to top it off however there is a metal lock on the cap. I could cut it off but was wondering if possibly this was added by the Chevy service department after it was serviced for the same problem previously. Has anyone ever noticed this and if so how do you remove the locking mechanism? Thank you in advance.
Rod
Hey rab123456,

As previously stated by Steverino and Rusty06770, your best option is to have your Volt-certified dealership look at the battery coolant level. They are best equipped and trained to properly service your vehicle, and work performed at a GM dealership typically will come with a Replacement Parts Warranty coverage if any extensive repairs are necessary.

If you want, I can certainly contact your dealership on your behalf to get you scheduled for an appointment and do some additional research on my end. Please send a private message with your VIN, contact information, current mileage and the name of your dealership, if you would like my help in this way.

Best,

Amber G.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 4 of 4 Posts