GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Volts, is there a way to tell which engine/motor was used for the amount of miles on a car? For example, there is a 2011 Volt for sale near me with 100K miles. I'm not really interested in buying it, but is there a way to determine if those miles were on the electric motor or with the generator going and differentiate between the two? Just curious.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Not directly with a 2011, unless the current owner has onstar set up, in which case you can get those stats from the onstar web page or the phone app.

You can also make a guess from the total mpg, which can be displayed in the car - if it's close to 40 you can guess that it wasn't charged often or at all and only the ICE has been used. Higher numbers will mean more electric miles vs. gas miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not directly with a 2011, unless the current owner has onstar set up, in which case you can get those stats from the onstar web page or the phone app.

You can also make a guess from the total mpg, which can be displayed in the car - if it's close to 40 you can guess that it wasn't charged often or at all and only the ICE has been used. Higher numbers will mean more electric miles vs. gas miles.
Ah OK, thanks.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The 2011 Volt’s center screen usage display will show the Volt’s lifetime MPG reading.

Odometer reading / lifetime MPG = lifetime gallons of gas used.

My 2012 Volt’s window sticker rated it at 37 mpg when gas was used, so multiplying the lifetime gallons of gas used by 37 gives an approximate number of lifetime gas miles. Subtracting that from the odometer reading gives you the lifetime electric miles.

Don’t forget that most of the gas burned in the Volt is used to run a gas generator, which generates electricity for the electric motor to use as propulsion fuel, i.e., the electric motor continues to push the car down the road even when the ICE is running. "Electric Miles" is an indication of how far the Volt travels on the grid electricity stored in the battery that was put there when the car was recharged. "Gas Miles" could be viewed as how far the Volt travels when it is fueled by gas-generated electricity (ignoring, of course, certain conditions when the gas motor is geared in to help provide torque to turn the wheels).

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ideally, get financing on a Certified Used Volt with a couple of years to allow someone else to absorb a big chunk of depreciation and lower your insurance payments. A few hundred dollars per month for transportation with a reliable Volt should provide good lifetime cost returns. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?stkTypId=28881&stkTyp=U&tracktype=usedcc&cpoId=28444&cpo=Y&mkId=20053&AmbMkId=20053&AmbMkNm=Chevrolet&make=Chevrolet&AmbMdId=35025&AmbMdNm=Volt&model=Volt&mdId=35025&rd=250&zc=77098&searchSource=QUICK_FORM

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
You can also see if that car has been registered on VoltStats by looking up the last 6 digits of the VIN. But aside from just knowing how many miles were on the ICE or off the battery there is no down side to one or the other.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ideally, get financing on a Certified Used Volt with a couple of years to allow someone else to absorb a big chunk of depreciation and lower your insurance payments. A few hundred dollars per month for transportation with a reliable Volt should provide good lifetime cost returns. https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?stkTypId=28881&stkTyp=U&tracktype=usedcc&cpoId=28444&cpo=Y&mkId=20053&AmbMkId=20053&AmbMkNm=Chevrolet&make=Chevrolet&AmbMdId=35025&AmbMdNm=Volt&model=Volt&mdId=35025&rd=250&zc=77098&searchSource=QUICK_FORM
There are two that I have found that I *may* be able to work a deal on given my situation. The one that I really like only has 48K miles on it and is certified, so it gets a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty on top of the remaining factory (2013 model). I may go by this week to look at it - I'm still on the fence about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There is some correlation between MPG displayed on the Center Console and ICE usage. If you look at voltstats.net and sort by EV% you can see that 95% EV could be 230 to 700 MPG, at 75% it drops to 140 to 170 MPG. My EV% is around 63 and MPG is 103. These numbers are dependent on driving styles which gives the various ranges within an EV%.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The previous owner of my car left the trip odometer "A" as the total for the car. Mine has 32k battery, 7k engine, 200 gallons of gas. Guess I will need to write it down one day before I change the 12v battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts