GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gas prices here in Northwestern Oregon are well over $3.00 / gallon for 87 octane regular. The lowest price is at Warrenton Oregon Costco @ $3.149 for 87 octane (regular).

Now, currently our 2016 Volt Premier, my wife's daily driver, has been averaging over 60 miles per charge and well over 50 mpg when running just on good ole regular 87 octane gas.

On a typical fishing trip down to many of the Tillamook Oregon rivers, 126-136 mile round trip, my wife, and I, our
90 lb + black lab, all our fishing gear, and all here camera gear loaded in our Volt.

When we return home our electric usage for a full charge is 65 miles or so with 14+ KWH used. The rest on gas has been averaging 55 - 60 mpg, just on gas, commonly referred to CS Mode.

With current gas prices our Volt for our fishing trip cost less per mile than even our 2010 Prius which gets about the same mpg on gas as our Volt. Our trip is via Highway 101, Oregon Coast Highway, a scenic view as well with speeds ranging from 55-60 MPH to 25 MPH when going through a few small towns.

A full electric charge with all cost and charging losses included is $1.85, of course gas at $3.15 / gallon.

I don't know of any vehicle the size and weight of the Volt that could do that....

J

·
0 Posts
Wow, that's awesome! Everybody down here seems to be complaining about higher gas prices. I tell them it doesn't bother me, I'm not buying any! You know, I almost feel guilty driving around and not buying gasoline. It feels like I'm cheating somehow. :)

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
So the cycle is repeating itself. In the first part of this decade gas prices went up and all those SUV drivers whined. I didn't care since my Cruze was getting over 42 MPG. Now I don't mind because my Volt gets 40 to 50 MPG when running on gas. Of course when running on electric I'm not using gas.

Reactions: mack621962

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Just hit $3/per gal here in southern Illinois for 87 octane, premium sells for $3.37 per gal. I don't use much gas year in year out.

I also have EGO battery powered lawn gear, so I do pay much attention to gas prices.

·
Registered
43 Posts
In Vancouver it is $162.9 a liter.
or $739.6 an imperial gallon.
this calculates to in US dollars for a US gallon (3.78 liters) or $4.70 for a US gallon.

Glad I live in Canada ????

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've noticed gas prices in my general area (just outside/North of Austin) have almost all gone to the $3.10-30 for premium, with the exception of good ol' Cotsco who is still 2.99.
Thankfully my daily driving is well within my '14's battery range, so I usually go weeks in-between using gas.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even though crude oil has dropped a few dollars per barrel, 42 gal's / barrel, gas prices have continued to rise. Costco in Warrenton Oregon is $3.169 / gallon for 87 octane regular, the least expensive in the entire area.

Our 2016 Volt is now approaching 40,000 miles with over 12,000 miles just on gas. From new purchase to now our CS mpg per voltstats.net is 47.6 mpg, last fillup our mpg just on gas, based on miles divided by gal's used (87 octane Costco Reg.) Total gas only miles, 304.7, gal's pumped at fill up, 5.285 gal's. = 57.653 mpg.

I have noticed when in Hold Mode that voltstats.net does not record gas mpg's when you climb a mountain on gas and at the top switch over to electric on the way down. Now the dash gauge records as gas mpg's until it switches to electric when the regen electric is used up. Voltstats.net registered for last trip yesterday, 123 miles total, 61.1 miles on gas, 1.1465 gal's used. Now our Volt dash read when we returned home: 123 miles / 56.9 on electric (11.5 KWH used)/ 66 miles on gas with 1.19 gal's used for 56.2 mpg. We still had 13 miles of electric range left on the dash as well.

We have a 2010 Prius and this rivals what I get with our Prius, at times the Volt's beats it by more than a hair. I believe most people who own a Volt, Gen 2 year 2016-2018, drive mostly on electric and when they do switch to gas its only for a few miles and the gas motor never warms up to its efficient operating area.

Also, our gas motor is broken in and looking back when we first purchased it mpg's was mostly in the low to mid 40's mpg. Now its well into the 50 mpg range. Last oil change was Mobil One 0w20 pure synthetic motor oil that seemed to bump up the mpg's a little.

Factory tires are now broken in as well, Michelin Energy Saver AS, in which we keep 44 PSI in all 4 tires, also they are wearing for at least a 55,000-65,000 life span.

No other car, in my opinion can match the Gen 2 Volt, now with summer temps, 60F and above, its a piece of cake to get over 60 miles on a charge as well. With just a push of a button with a electric charge you can go from electric to gas or back again to electric, its your choice. When on electric the gas engine will never kick in to give you extra propulsion power, the electric motor has enough horse power on its own.

So the only direct competitor is the Honda Plug in Clarity. I doubt we will see 60 miles on a charge or 50+ mpg just on gas when the battery runs out, and there is no real world results out there as far as I know.

In closing most of our, my wife and I with all her camera gear and my fishing stuff, trips are via Highway 101 on the Oregon Coast speeds range from 60 MPH to 25 MPH when going through small towns and cities. We leave and return at sea level and climb two passes that rise to 600 feet in elevation also climb those two passes when we return home as well.

I would sure like to see what the Honda Clarity could do with all the same conditions and cargo weight etc. for a true comparison.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
See that gas prices locally have settled underneath 3.00 after Memorial Day, and will probably not change much from that for the summer. I just completed a 4800 mile road trip. Cheapest gas in Colorado and Nebraska, a bit higher in Illinois and Iowa, most expensive by far (surprise) California and Nevada.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Fuel prices are still creeping up around here, but electricity's still the same. :D

·
Registered
675 Posts
Our 2016 Volt is now approaching 40,000 miles with over 12,000 miles just on gas.
Also, our gas motor is broken in and looking back when we first purchased it mpg's was mostly in the low to mid 40's mpg. Now its well into the 50 mpg range. Last oil change was Mobil One 0w20 pure synthetic motor oil that seemed to bump up the mpg's a little.
No other car, in my opinion can match the Gen 2 Volt, now with summer temps, 60F and above, its a piece of cake to get over 60 miles on a charge as well. With just a push of a button with a electric charge you can go from electric to gas or back again to electric, its your choice. When on electric the gas engine will never kick in to give you extra propulsion power, the electric motor has enough horse power on its own.
Gen2 Volt is a great undiscovered secret that ages well with time..... Can you compare your driving experience on the Volt as compared with your 2010 Prius?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our Prius has more road noise, less power, the engine when going up a hill rev's high enough so you can hear it even with the radio on.
The Volt feels solid when you are driving, and handles much better especially in the curves on highway 101. Its also, especially now, more expensive to drive. As the Volt still gives 55 + miles of electric range during the summer, and my wife and I last trip yesterday to Portland Oregon on the volt's dash readout, was a total of 171 miles, 57.2 on electric (14.0 KWH Used) 113.8 miles on gas with 2.11 gal's used for 53.9 mpg. The Prius, climbing the Coast Range on Highway 26 twice for a round trip, would have at best obtained 53.9 mpg, calculated. Note: the Prius mpg dash gauge is always off by 3-3.5 mpg over read.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Wow, bend over for that fill up.
There's probably another sign not visible: "next service 110 miles". Saw one of those in UTAH, Interstate 70.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
There's probably another sign not visible: "next service 110 miles". Saw one of those in UTAH, Interstate 70.
Nah. It's Bolinas. You are lucky if you can find the place. (Residents have been known to tear down the road signs leading to it.)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Volt is a real winner when gas prices rise. Our 2016 Volt cost less per mile than nearly any other car out there, and no range anxiety.
Went fishing yesterday down the Oregon Coast to Tillamook from home. Upon return in our driveway I took a photo of the dash
readout. attached.

Electric cost with all cost; calculated by dividing kw hours used by the total cost 100% of the bill, no games, 16 KWH, includes 2 hours for charging losses at 240 Volt, Electric cost, .115 / KWH x 16 = $1.84 + gas Costco, current prices and it goes up nearly everyday, $3.269 / gal, 87 octane reg. 10% ethanol 1.32 gal x $3.269 = $4.32 + electric $1.84 total cost per fuel for trip
total $6.16. ( Note: voltstats.net has the gasoline used for the trip at 1.29 gals.)

So with a car such as the Gen 2 Volt with more technology per dollar than any car out there Chevy decided to discontinue Volt production with the last model year a 2019 after spending millions of dollars in research and development, what a waste. I was looking at the Gen 3 Volt to replace our Gen 2, now I know that will never happen....

Just for comparison our 2010 Prius last fill up was 50 mpg calculated.....

20190428_183558.jpg

1 - 20 of 34 Posts