GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was hoping to get the best possible headlights with as much infrequent bulb replacement as possible. I fell onto GTR lighting and purchased a 55 watt 9012 kit. So I go and install them and they don't light up. At all. I have reversed the polarity to no avail and the HIDs do work just fine. . . in my friend's '01 Corolla, just not in my gen1 Volt.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, I've read that a number of us have relay harnesses on HID, is that what I'm missing? I have read some generic troubleshooting on HIDs and two sources state that the Fuses may be weak. I have purchased 20 Amp fuses vs the 15 Amp stock fuses, but I'm quite hesitant to replace as the manual states the fuse is also for the body control module(3 for left, 4 for right). Thoughts anyone? Would the 5 amp difference cause any issues? Just order some relays? Give up and go Morimoto? I just want to see clearly at night. Thanks

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Hello all, I was hoping to get the best possible headlights with as much infrequent bulb replacement as possible. I fell onto GTR lighting and purchased a 55 watt 9012 kit. So I go and install them and they don't light up. At all. I have reversed the polarity to no avail and the HIDs do work just fine. . . in my friend's '01 Corolla, just not in my gen1 Volt.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing, I've read that a number of us have relay harnesses on HID, is that what I'm missing? I have read some generic troubleshooting on HIDs and two sources state that the Fuses may be weak. I have purchased 20 Amp fuses vs the 15 Amp stock fuses, but I'm quite hesitant to replace as the manual states the fuse is also for the body control module(3 for left, 4 for right). Thoughts anyone? Would the 5 amp difference cause any issues? Just order some relays? Give up and go Morimoto? I just want to see clearly at night. Thanks
Yea, throw those away and get 35w from Morimoto. Never replace a fuse that is higher than what’s supposed to be there.

And yea, use a relay harness.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Weak fuses sounds like a weak excuse...

Fuses will be high enough current rating and be able to handle the amperage or they will blow.

More than likely the HID kit you bought doesn't play well with the PWM headlamp voltage supplied by the BCM on the Gen1 which would be fixed by providing non-modulated @12VDC thru a relay harness...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Don't put in a larger fuse. The fuse is sized to protect the wires and prevent fires.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts