GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I'm gonna do some research and find out what the proper resistor is to keep the headlights from going on and off in a garage and just on and off and on and off and on and off and off again.lol I want to trick the auto headlights by making them think there is more daylight than there really is by inserting proper OHM resistor inline. I am assuming it is a resistive sensor.. This will save all of us HID folk some money because ballasts and bulbs will not prematurely burn out when starting in a garage or driving under long bridges.

Any information on this would be appreciated, but the information I could use is how to safely remove the light sensor from the dash for testing purposes.

I will share these results so that all of us will benefit.

Thanks guys! Excited to be a new contributing member!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Cover the sensor located on the center of the dash console near the windshield.
That will force the lights on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I want to use led running lights as much as possible due to much lower power draw, and control the headlights possibly manually. I did this on my GMC canyon and it worked like a charm. Daytime LED Running lights on 100% of time, if you want headlights on I would like to do it manually. Pretty simple take sensor out (not sure how to do this part). Measure sensor with ohm meter (outside of vehicle) 'while applying light' use that ohm reading to figure out what type of resistor to put in the place of sensor. Stuff wires with resistor in hole and put dummy sensor back in. The volt will see "daylight" 24/7 365days a year. I just never liked the auto on off headlights and want the headlights to light only when I want them to... this can be done rather easily without any errors or codes. Just unsure how to remove sensor.. I hope that I clarified my original post a little. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
OK I'm gonna do some research and find out what the proper resistor is to keep the headlights from going on and off in a garage and just on and off and on and off and on and off and off again.lol I want to trick the auto headlights by making them think there is more daylight than there really is by inserting proper OHM resistor inline. I am assuming it is a resistive sensor.. This will save all of us HID folk some money because ballasts and bulbs will not prematurely burn out when starting in a garage or driving under long bridges.

Any information on this would be appreciated, but the information I could use is how to safely remove the light sensor from the dash for testing purposes.

Wouldn't it be simpler to just use a cheap, rechargeable LED light over the light sensor? Turn it on when you want it on, turn it off when you want it off.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Get the PARKING LIGHTS the small yellow lights,BEFORE YOU START THE CAR,,,THE HID WILL NOT COME IF THE CAR IS IN A GARAGE OR DARK SPOT,,,then when is enough day light change light to AUTO,,,you will be in day LED , without head lights use...

·
Registered
473 Posts

Per the service manual, the sensor is 0-5V output (5V appears to be full light). However, not only does it control the headlights, it also signals the HVAC system to provide additional cooling based on the amount of sunlight it senses.

The sensor seems to be accessed by popping out the central panel of the dash, which appears to be held in by just clips. Then the sensor twists out of the panel. It also contains the cabin temperature sensor, so there will be several wires.

·
Registered
433 Posts
It also contains the cabin temperature sensor, so there will be several wires.
I don't think it's the cabin temperature sensor - it's the "Sun Load Temperature and Headlamp Automatic Control Ambient Light Sensor".

ScreenClip000231.jpg ScreenClip000230.jpg ScreenClip000232.jpg

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ah, I looked more closely rather than just the title of the drawing - I see there is a temp sensor in there too.
ScreenClip000233.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts