GM Volt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the Volt monitor the draw of the headlights?
I installed hid bulbs and ballasts like the ones I put on my Cadillac except for the 9012 bulbs and they lit up and looked very bright but after about 10 minutes they both shut off.
I was a few miles down the road and it got mighty dark all at once. I turned them off and on again and they lit up for about 10 seconds and went out again over and over until I got home. The dim OEM lights work ok but in a rain storm they aren't bright enough to see that they are on.
Has any one here tried and succeeded with HID lights?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read a bunch of them and didn't see where anyone had the same problem.

I have two Volts, a 12 and a 13 and they both do the same thing.
The ballasts I swapped with the ones from My Cadillac that works excellent and still they won't stay on so I was wondering if the difference in the electrical draw was causing the Volt to shut them down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had excellent luck with OPT7/4.500 F' from Amazon in my 2014 Volt ... did the ballasts got very hot in your case ?...No flickering or burned fuses?.
No flickering ,no overheating, just barely warm, they just go completely out then when I turn the light switch off and on again they light up but only for a quarter mile or so.
I've been using the same ballasts in my four Eldorado's with no problems for three years, the only difference was the 9012 bulbs.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
FWIW: Gen1 Volts are fed PWM DC voltage from the BCM for energy savings. It is a Volt after all!:eek:

This is why I decided to instead supply my HIDs with constant 12V non-modulated DC from the AGM via a relay as opposed to the PWM which could possibly cause damage. Heck, been runnin' on the latest Gen of LED in my Volt for about a year and I still use the consistent 12VDC instead of the modulated voltage from the BCM...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
No flickering ,no overheating, just barely warm, they just go completely out then when I turn the light switch off and on again they light up but only for a quarter mile or so.
I've been using the same ballasts in my four Eldorado's with no problems for three years, the only difference was the 9012 bulbs.
When you have a reflector housing you should NOT be using HIDs at all. Even halogen projectors aren’t the greatest for HIDs.

And, do you have a relay harness?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FWIW: Gen1 Volts are fed PWM DC voltage from the BCM for energy savings. It is a Volt after all!:eek:

This is why I decided to instead supply my HIDs with constant 12V non-modulated DC from the AGM via a relay as opposed to the PWM which could possibly cause damage. Heck, been runnin' on the latest Gen of LED in my Volt for about a year and I still use the consistent 12VDC instead of the modulated voltage from the BCM...
I think you are onto something there, I'll try using relays and see what that does.
I tried LED's on my Cadillac and found them grossly inadequate.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think you are onto something there, I'll try using relays and see what that does.
It seriously depends on the LED package. I've been through a couple and seen what some other people have and it has ranged from the pathetic to the astounding.

PartsSquare 9006 (HB4) Vs Morimoto “2Stroke” if you care to read.

(Of course turboguy327 will probably be along at any time to tell me I couldn't possibly be satisfied with LED... we don't see eye to eye <grin>)

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
My LEDs are substantially adequate. Don't ask which ones because they're not available anymore. That's how fast LED headlamp tech has been evolving. I just put my latest set in a few months ago.

No canbus, no special wiring. Plug-and-play.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got them working!
I bought a more expensive set with the relay. Since the relay is supposed to hook up directly to the battery, that wasn't possible with the battery in the rear. So to cut a corner without having to find a sufficiently robust 12 volt connector I wired them in the usual manner and after about 10 minutes they went out like before. I then turned on the standard halogen lights on my other Volt and they stayed lit for about 10 minutes and then went out.
So then I turned on the HID lights on the first Volt and went for a 30 mile drive and they stayed on, so it looks like the Volt does sense the lights and shuts them off If they aren't being used.

The first ones that wouldn't stay on were 55 watt and these are35 watt so the reason they wouldn't stay on even when driving must have been the larger amperage draw causing a disconnect.
So what I take away from this is 35 ok 55 don't even try.
Now my other Volt will get the 55's with the relays next, I have more time to fool with it .

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you put 55w HIDs in your volt, you’ll be replacing the housings very soon. Especially with a cheap kit. You don’t need 55w HIDs.

There is a 12v under the hood. 30 seconds of research would have found that...

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you put 55w HIDs in your volt, you’ll be replacing the housings very soon. Especially with a cheap kit. You don’t need 55w HIDs.

There is a 12v under the hood. 30 seconds of research would have found that...
I know this is an old post, but I've been searching to get more info on HID and have been coming up short, TurboGuy what is your reservation about 55watt HID ballasts? from all the posts I've read you seem to be an expert and really knowledgeable about HID, can you please share some of your expertise?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I know this is an old post, but I've been searching to get more info on HID and have been coming up short, TurboGuy what is your reservation about 55watt HID ballasts? from all the posts I've read you seem to be an expert and really knowledgeable about HID, can you please share some of your expertise?
55w creates a lot of heat. More than halogens. And it will burn the chrome inside the projector bowls. When I replaced my factory projectors the bowls had some burning with the factory halogen bulbs. Anything from GM is low quality. It’s obvious once you start taking them apart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there anything special to replacing the projectors? Can they be swapped from the same hatch You change the bulb from or is it necessary to completely dismantle the headlight? I've done it a couple of times but never to a Volt (or an Ampera which I have). If you still have the old projectors laying around, I'd love to have some measurements, bolt patterns etc. I'm planning on replacing the stock projectors with better aftermarket ones as the original halogen lights are horrible. Winters are long and dark here in Finland.

·
Registered
104 Posts
These are what I used:
http://a.co/gvMYzst
Alla Lighting 8000lm Xtremely Super Bright 6500K Xenon White High Power Mini 9012 HIR2LL LED Headlight Bulb Conversion Kits Lamps Replacement (9012)

They match the DRLs and are extremely bright. Ive been running them for over a year and have not had any problem at all. No external relays or anything, plugged right into factory wiring and ran fine.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Is there anything special to replacing the projectors? Can they be swapped from the same hatch You change the bulb from or is it necessary to completely dismantle the headlight? I've done it a couple of times but never to a Volt (or an Ampera which I have). If you still have the old projectors laying around, I'd love to have some measurements, bolt patterns etc. I'm planning on replacing the stock projectors with better aftermarket ones as the original halogen lights are horrible. Winters are long and dark here in Finland.
The D2S 4.0 from morimoto bolts in place of the factory projector with very little fight. Idk what side drive you guys are so make sure you pick RHD if you’re not LHD like the US.

From my experience only peterbilt 579 and a short generation of the Silverado can you replace a projector without baking the headlight open.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
A lot of HID's are only 35 watt but put out way more lumens than a 55 watt incandescent. This means LESS heat.
Plus some of the heat is from the ballast which is outside the housing.

The Volt's projector housings are perfect for an HID or LED conversion because the Hi/Lo light patterns are set by the shutter inside.

You will need the 'CAN Bus Ready' HID's because of the pulsed 12 DC source, or add the big inline capacitors which do the same thing as the Can Bus ready ballasts.
Relays just complicate things and are another failure point.

The HID's were a perfect upgrade on my Volt. Dark country roads with the Hi beams on were awesome !!!
I can't upgrade the H13 bulbs in my Spark EV due to the way the Hi/Lo works with that goofy bulb. I tried.....:(

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.