GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I've been lurking around the forums here for a while now, and finally took the time to register. My wife and I will be buying a used Volt sometime within the next few months, after the lying, cheating (but nefariously clever) VW buys back our Jetta TDI. The Volt fits our driving habits perfectly, and as a bit of a tech nerd, I absolutely LOVE all of the cool engineering solutions that GM has developed in creating the Volt.

We're going to take the VW buyback check (which looks like it's going to be pretty sweet!) and try to find as good a deal as possible on a 2013-2015 Volt Premium, of which I've found plenty of CPO examples within easy driving distance of us. I've worked my way through much of the Gen1 Forums and learned a TON. Seems like a fairly decent group of folks around here (there are always exceptions, you know . . . :p) and the knowledge base is impressive.

Cheers!
NRG (aka Nick)

·
Registered
638 Posts
No worries my friend everyone is welcome here, we're a neighborly bunch. Welcome to the forum where all questions have an answer

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
All Volt years are fine cars. I've leased a '13 & own a '16, both magnificent cars. Before you buy, get the numbers on a '17 or a leftover '16, if you can find one. I am seeing discounts, credits and rebates that are really nice compared to my near full-list cost back in October. But the car is worth it. Stay with us.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Seems like a fairly decent group of folks around here (there are always exceptions, you know . . . :p) and the knowledge base is impressive.

Cheers!
NRG (aka Nick)
I sorely miss elemental. True, he was crass, but always entertaining.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All Volt years are fine cars. I've leased a '13 & own a '16, both magnificent cars. Before you buy, get the numbers on a '17 or a leftover '16, if you can find one. I am seeing discounts, credits and rebates that are really nice compared to my near full-list cost back in October. But the car is worth it. Stay with us.
I've run the numbers myself on the '17, and the price is a little higher than I think we can swing right now - we don't want to finance, and we also don't want to take a chunk out of savings to cover the initial $30k+ that a new one will require (I know there's the $7500 tax credit, but that only shows up next April, or whenever the govt. gets around to returning our no-interest loan to us. It won't help with the initial cash payment.)

Before we pull the trigger on a used one, I was planning to check with my contact at the local Chevy Dealership to see for sure what he can do - they've got one of the '17s in the Cirton Green Metallic that I'm totally diggin' on - but I don't think a new one is in the cards right now.

I'm not seeing any leftover '16s anywhere in the area, unfortunately.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
I've run the numbers myself on the '17, and the price is a little higher than I think we can swing right now - we don't want to finance, and we also don't want to take a chunk out of savings to cover the initial $30k+ that a new one will require (I know there's the $7500 tax credit, but that only shows up next April, or whenever the govt. gets around to returning our no-interest loan to us. It won't help with the initial cash payment.)

Before we pull the trigger on a used one, I was planning to check with my contact at the local Chevy Dealership to see for sure what he can do - they've got one of the '17s in the Cirton Green Metallic that I'm totally diggin' on - but I don't think a new one is in the cards right now.

I'm not seeing any leftover '16s anywhere in the area, unfortunately.
I applaud you sticking to your guns and only buying what you can afford. That's a trademark of the greenback troll. but one thing I can throw in, you don't have to wait until next April to get your $7500 if you are certain you qualify. If you buye a new car now, you can go to your employer, turn off your tax withholdings and collect up $7500 that you should have paid in your pocket in however many pay checks it takes, then turn it back on. The tax credit will be in hand sooner, and when you submit you're taxes, the government won't be giving you as big of a refund because you already got it. Just make sure you don't use that $7500 on a new bass boat or dining room set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts