GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mercedes-Benz And Sila Announce Breakthrough In Silicon Anode Chemistry (msn.com)
Font Technology Rim Automotive lighting Measuring instrument

so they say 800wh/l
according to the inter-twit, the bolt was 444wh/l, the tesla was 700 wh/l
what is the gm ultium battery at, no responce other than, pouch-type lithium-ion cell, 23 x 4 x 0.4 inches in size, weighing about 3 pounds, with a gross energy capacity of 0.37 kWh. anyone out there know what it is
700kw/l ? my guess

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
Always good to see new developments in battery tech. Progress takes time and sometimes zig zags based on developments in other fields. Still waiting for solid state battery breakthroughs. Going from lab to commercial products is always treacherous.

Sounds like these batteries will be premium priced for very high end buyers.

·
Registered
OpenEVSE home charger, 2013 Volt base, added tow hitch, K&N filters, 3d printed interior mods, etc
67 Posts
Assuming your figures are correct, math comes out to 627wh/L.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming your figures are correct, math comes out to 627wh/L.
I think my info was from gm
Assuming your math is correct :)
so 800 is a good jump from even gm
I knew if all the car manufactures with their money jump on this battery problem, I had hoped, they would make short work of it. or should I say the volume of the car manufacturers would intice the battery manufacturers to spend their resources on improving the battery chemistry
how ever you slice it, its a win/win as long as this new teck doesn't melt down
I can almost feel the planet cooling down as we speak (print):)

·
Registered
821 Posts
This is a good thing. New advances in battery tech will drive down costs over time and all EV owners will ultimately benefit. Of course, until we get there, replacement packs are going to continue to be a costly proposition.

Reactions: noyoudont

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
Two key points:
The batteries use a highly unusual chemistry that reduces expensive and tough-to-source cobalt by 70%. That move, the company says, will help push battery pack costs below $100 per kilowatt-hour — commonly considered to be a critical threshold for EVs to be competitive with internal combustion engines.

GM’s system for managing its battery pack is also different from competitors. The Ultium platform allows GM to run battery cells with different chemistries in the same pack, so parts of the pack can be replaced as time goes on.
Worth noting, the Ultium platform is not an actual skateboard platform with wheels hanging off it as the videos implies. Instead it's more like the old erector set toy, a system consisting of batteries, motors, software and other components that can be assembled in different ways. These can be used to power a wide range of different vehicles from truck to small CUV's.

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
coming fast and furious now:)
Lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) is significantly cheaper and doesn’t require any nickel or cobalt. It’s also more stable, which makes it safer. With this chemistry, you can charge your vehicle’s battery up to 100% and not worry as much about degradation long-term. The other thing is these batteries are really easy to recycle. And sourcing raw materials for these is easier to do.

One major downside: The cells are less energy-dense, which means they offer lower range for the same weight as other cells. Cold weather also affects them more.

Tesla is planning in using an lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) chemistry for it's "standard range" cars in China. Don't be surprised if GM uses these in it's $30k and under EV's. Remember, the Ultium platforms allows for a mix of battery chemistry's (even in the same pack).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) is significantly cheaper and doesn’t require any nickel or cobalt. It’s also more stable, which makes it safer. With this chemistry, you can charge your vehicle’s battery up to 100% and not worry as much about degradation long-term. The other thing is these batteries are really easy to recycle. And sourcing raw materials for these is easier to do.

One major downside: The cells are less energy-dense, which means they offer lower range for the same weight as other cells. Cold weather also affects them more.

Tesla is planning in using an lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) chemistry for it's "standard range" cars in China. Don't be surprised if GM uses these in it's $30k and under EV's. Remember, the Ultium platforms allows for a mix of battery chemistry's (even in the same pack).
been running lfp in my electric bike for ten years now, they are in a metal can though,

·
Administrator
22,489 Posts
Solid state. Someday in the next 3 years or so maybe we'll see some in a few high end cars.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts