1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Yes, it's called a styling feature. Just like plastic wheel covers that simulate spokes or wings stuck on cars incapable of attaining speeds where they might become functional.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well, for the Spark there is an ICE version as well as an EV. They make one body style for both so the ICE has holes for ventilation and the EV are solid for wind resistance.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Personally I prefer fake grilles to bare sheetmetal. And this styling trick isn't unique to electric cars...

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Yes, it's called styling. Doesn't bother me. The Volt has something similar. There is likely no reason for some of the sheet metal curves either. Paraphrasing Bob Lutz, if all we cared about was maximum aerodynamics we would make them all look like rolling suppositories. :)

·
Registered
918 Posts
Who is this "Alex Davies" that wrote the piece on BI, and what's his automotive credentials? The "fake grilles" below the headlights that he's referring to are where the projector fog lights go on ICE Sparks. I looked up that info in less than 1 minute after I saw this thread.

·
Registered
906 Posts
you still have to have the regular front grille for the Air-conditioner.. theres still a condensor out there that needs a good amount of airflow...

ive seen other cars with fake grilles on the bottom too.. often where fog lights go if the car is ordered without them.. thats been done before many times..

-Christopher

·
8,680 Posts
Well, the real grill that isn't circled at the bottom the car still needs. It doesn't have as much waste heat as an ICE, but the Spark is based on the Voltec design, so I expect it will have radiators for both the power electronics and the drive motor, and well as the A/C condenser. I think it's also a liquid cooled battery, which would be another radiator/section.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I like the Chevy Spark EV as it is with the covered silver grills, and I saw close up a gas Spark with open black grills. So if someone wants to have those fake silver grills look like real grills of the ICE version, paint all of them a flat black. GM, try this on the 2014 Spark EV.

Same goes for the Chevy Volt grille. You can paint those inserts flat black and create a more "ICE" look!

·
Registered
970 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Doesn't the Tesla have a radiator there for AC and battery cooling?
Yes, but look at the picture, 90% of the grill is purely for looks. Like the Volt, most of the Tesla grill is blocked off, no air is flowing through it. There is only a small slit for functional air flow, the rest is cosmetic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts