GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 221k miles my wifes very beloved Protoge 5 is not feeling very well and we're looking at some serious engine work, possibly even a full engine swap. Personally I don't think the car is worth that.

SO..... I'm gently guiding her into looking at the Gen 2 Volts. It has taken her quite a while to warm up to "OHM-RIDE" but she has decided that the Gen 1 is a "pretty nice car" (her words) and she does like driving it on our long trips to NY and Alabama.

The potential downside.... I'll have to re-wire the carport.....again!

Why oh why didn't I go ahead and wire up two outlets when I was doing it the first time <sigh>.

Anyway, wish me luck finally convincing the wife :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you like Gen1 you and your wife will really like a Gen 2. Puzzling to me why anyone using an EV for awhile would ever want to stay with an ICE powered car.(unless, of course, utility or space needed is a prime factor) Perhaps it's the perceived complexity, but we all know anyone can drive it comfortably without any detail knowledge of the bells and whistles.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Mazda served your family well.

Consider buying the car - and she will drive it? ;)

When my wife's accord was approaching 200k miles (she bought it before she met me) and she wanted new Accord for replacement, but I don't do foreign cars, period. So as soon as Gen II came out, I took her for test drive, and explained to her that with rebates the Volt will cost the same as the Accord. My wife was sold at CarPlay and good stereo first, and she did like the Gen II look. Only later she really got to appreciate dual drive train, oomph factor, and literally free driving. My wife has free charging at work. Before she would wake up 20min earlier to hit Costco gas in the morning. No more wasting time, no more paying for gas, no more oil change. Nothing. She got a lady showing of at work new to her BMW. One coworker mentioned my wife's car is much nicer. So the BWM lady does not like my wife anymore, but at the same time she has become friends with other EV owners. Quite a social group - work out car moving routines, have small talk, etc. Fun.

My wife is a true convert, and I been warming her up to $50K Tesla M3. Recently M3 showed up at her work - and she likes the look. The stereo at M3 is better than Volt. Hopefully we will have M3 parked in my garage.

BTW, I will be needing to add 3rd EV charger at home - this time outside. The Spark EV is staying... Way too fun of the car.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Before she would wake up 20min earlier to hit Costco gas in the morning.
*sigh* Where can I get me one of these wives who fill up their own gas tanks?

Typically, it'll be a weeknight, right around 9 pm. My wife says, "Oh, by the way, I think the light is on." By this time in our marriage, it's very clear that "the light" refers to her car's "gas tank is almost empty, refuel immediately" light. And that it's a man's job to get that light to turn off.

D

·
0 Posts
By this time in our marriage, it's very clear that "the light" refers to her car's "gas tank is almost empty, refuel immediately" light. And that it's a man's job to get that light to turn off.
A tiny little square of black electrical tape placed on the dash covering the light should do it . . . . .

Don

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If you like Gen1 you and your wife will really like a Gen 2. Puzzling to me why anyone using an EV for awhile would ever want to stay with an ICE powered car.(unless, of course, utility or space needed is a prime factor) Perhaps it's the perceived complexity, but we all know anyone can drive it comfortably without any detail knowledge of the bells and whistles.
no convertible ev offerings, no ev pickups, and on and on and on...

I am considering selling my Volt and going back to a Miata all because I prefer the topless drive more than the gas-less drive

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

I am considering selling my Volt and going back to a Miata all because I prefer the topless drive more than the gas-less drive
There ain't nottin' wrong with topless driving...it's the high price of gasoline you have to pay to get to topless drive that turns me off.

F

·
0 Posts

I have a TR7 fuel injected Spider for that. Even took it on a 3,000+ mile trip to San Diego a few years back.

·
Registered
277 Posts
*sigh* Where can I get me one of these wives who fill up their own gas tanks?

Typically, it'll be a weeknight, right around 9 pm. My wife says, "Oh, by the way, I think the light is on." By this time in our marriage, it's very clear that "the light" refers to her car's "gas tank is almost empty, refuel immediately" light. And that it's a man's job to get that light to turn off.

LOL Yep... I drive my wife's car about once a week, and it's out of gas frequently. She borrowed the Volt for a couple weeks while her car was in the body shop and she said she could get really used to this plugging in thing instead of having to get gas.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good summer project , lets make a Miata an EV car, with the light weight , will not need a big battery for a good range ...and will compete with the electric Jaguar of prince Harry...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Good summer project , lets make a Miata an EV car, with the light weight , will not need a big battery for a good range ...and will compete with the electric Jaguar of prince Harry...
Now you talking. That sounds like fun project ;). Spark EV battery / drive train is very compact, and very lightweight...

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I am not so sure we could the weight acceptable in one. the engine and fuel tank/filled doesn't weigh a lot but fortunately there is a bit of space being exchanged at both ends so supposedly you should be able to keep the weight balance similar. Of course all you would end up with is a local/commuter car but it would be cool.

·
Registered
824 Posts
A tiny little square of black electrical tape placed on the dash covering the light should do it . . . . .

Don
The outcome would be even worse... a phone call from the side of the highway, mrs. snic frantically saying the car just stopped working and what should she do?

I prefer the topless drive
I was going to post an image of what I thought this meant, but I don't think that specific image would be allowed.

Let's just say that under certain circumstances, I prefer the topless drive as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts