GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only halfway through the video review, and I have to admit, I already like it far more than the Hyundai Kona EV.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Will it be available in all 50 states? If not then it's just another compliance car.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Initially in CA and the other ZEV states.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will it be available in all 50 states? If not then it's just another compliance car.
Those two things are not, necessarily, synonymous. My understanding is that Hyundai and Kia are planning to produce over 100,000 units per year split between the Ioniq, Kona, and Niro EVs. They could easily sell 100% of those units outside of the United States, so they are likely to only prioritize the friendliest markets. The small percentage that do filter to the United States will likely be focused on the ZEV states, and the rest of the country will get the dregs of the dregs.

If your local and state incentives aren't compelling automakers to sell EVs in your region, you should reach out to your representatives and vote accordingly. At this point, the demand for competent, capable EVs far outstrips supply, so someone is going to need to meet the automakers halfway.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
the shift dial seems oddly placed as it interfered with the forward center console storage area. plus for something you rarely need it is a bit large. very nice to have ventilated seats! still I am now slanted in my view, that dash is cluttered as is that steering wheel. however it should give the Bolt a run for its money

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
however it should give the Bolt a run for its money
It sounds as though it's going to be more expensive than the Bolt EV by a significant amount. It will probably do really well in two to three quarters, when the Bolt EV loses half the Federal Tax Credit. I actually see the Niro EV stealing away more ~$40,000 Model 3 reservation holders.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It sounds as though it's going to be more expensive than the Bolt EV by a significant amount. It will probably do really well in two to three quarters, when the Bolt EV loses half the Federal Tax Credit. I actually see the Niro EV stealing away more ~$40,000 Model 3 reservation holders.
I'm curious to hear what you like about the Niro over the Kona, why you like it better and why you think it will take significant share away from the TM3...

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Nice review. I liked the ventilated seats and the adjustable headrests. My Volt could use that forward-moving headrest.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
he posted the driving video

500km (310 miles) at 55mph estimate from his video. 13.1kwh/100km. He will do a 120km speed trip later which is where the Kona apparently fell off harshly with regards to efficiency.

plus the Kia equivalent of Autopilot looks to be working very well.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
He does like his techno music. Is techno music a contradiction in terms?

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm curious to hear what you like about the Niro over the Kona, why you like it better and why you think it will take significant share away from the TM3...
The Niro has a better cabin layout and more rear passenger and cargo room. I also think it looks a bit better, though that might just be the color.

One think I wish Bjorn would have checked is whether the Niro's battery also protrudes below the structure of the chassis. To me, that's a deal breaker.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and as for the Model 3. I think many people who are considering the entry level Model 3 will look for other options when the $7,500 credit isn't available. Also, the Niro will provide similar capabilities with a format that more people are looking for (hatchback CUV), especially by the time it arrives in the United States and Phase 1 of Electrify America's build out is almost complete.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, so I found the one thing that I really don't like about the Niro EV. It also has the same, protruding battery pack that the Kona EV has. Despite all of the other features, that is close to a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
however it should give the Bolt a run for its money
Keep in mind it’s still a Hyundai/Kia. These are economy class manufacturers. In my opinion I doubt Hyundai/Kia buyers will pay over $40k regardless it is electric.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Keep in mind it’s still a Hyundai/Kia. These are economy class manufacturers. In my opinion I doubt Hyundai/Kia buyers will pay over $40k regardless it is electric.
They also make some of the most reliable vehicles according to JD Power etc. My brother in law bought a Genesis rather than a BMW because it was a nicer car and drove better.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Why does my brain see this as Kira Nero? Too much Star Trek, I guess...

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is still a Kia, electric or not... :confused:.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Kia and Hyundai are far better than they were 15 or 20 years ago. My cousin has had 2 Hyundai Sonatas, and they are seriously nice cars. They still have a few budget models, but they are making them a lot more high end than they used to.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Kia and Hyundai are far better than they were 15 or 20 years ago. My cousin has had 2 Hyundai Sonatas, and they are seriously nice cars. They still have a few budget models, but they are making them a lot more high end than they used to.
Budget models, like the Hyundai Accent. My wife and friend had a very basic Accent as a rental car on a vacation in Boise, ID. Our friend described it as being powered by a crippled hamster.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts