GM Volt Forum banner

Help with mygreenvolt app Gen2 android

2318 Views 32 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  wordptom
Will someone please point me to or post easy to understand step by step instructions on how to use the mygreenvolt app with Gen2 on Android? I have the basics down, I have it working, I've searched and viewed all that comes up. I just don't know how to interpret or save what I'm looking at. I'm getting a little concerned about the battery in my 2017 LT. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
Thanks, but I've already been there and it describes how to hook it up which as I said I've already done. What I'm looking for is how to interpret what I'm seeing or how to copy a screen so that I can show others so they can interpret it for me.
To copy the screen simply take a screenshot. I don’t know how to do that on Android. Post your screenshots here and we will interpret them for you.

Reactions: sundug

· Registered
2̶0̶1̶1̶ ̶C̶h̶e̶v̶y̶ ̶V̶o̶l̶t̶ DEALER BUYBACK
61 Posts
Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb... that you didn't read past the first paragraph which does explain how to hook it up.

If you read further down the page, it clearly explains what each section displays and how to interpret it. As you continue to read further down, it explains on how to customize one of the displays to show you what you are interested in seeing.

As far as taking a screen shot, google "screen shot of xxxxx" where xxxxx is your phone model. And as JuneBug mentioned, post the picture(s) here and fellow forum members can interpret them for you.

Good luck.

· Super Moderator
6,306 Posts
Will someone please point me to or post easy to understand step by step instructions on how to use the mygreenvolt app with Gen2 on Android? I have the basics down, I have it working, I've searched and viewed all that comes up. I just don't know how to interpret or save what I'm looking at. I'm getting a little concerned about the battery in my 2017 LT. Thanks!
If I recall correctly, you can pay $1 to get the battery cell display.
There is a FB Volt DIY group that delves deep into Volt things and they often say to take a BattCell screenshot (power button + volume down for a second)
when it is full charged and when it is completed drain. I've even seen them say completely drained with the heater running.

· Registered
2,337 Posts
I have yet to locate any real "user manual" for the mygreenvolt app. Questions remain unanswered. Will that "Min" and "Max" in the top left of the Dashboard display really tell you the maximum regen braking power than has been applied during the time the app has been running (Min) and the maximum power pulled from the battery for vehicle acceleration (Max)? Or is it a "live" reading that you must be looking at when braking or accelerating? Of what use is the "usable SOC% (kWh)" reading? Far too many users resort to posting a screen grab from their android or apple device showing their cell voltage screen and asking "does this look okay to you guys?"

The individual cells in the battery pack should be "balanced," but it’s unclear how "unbalanced" the cells can become. There seems to be some sort of consensus that the high/low voltage difference between the cells in the battery pack should be 121 mV or lower, but it’s unclear if any large differences in the cell voltage readings are meaningful at any time they are taken, or just under particular state of charge conditions... when the pack is fully charged? At the point when the default "switch to gas" is made? While fully drained with the heater running full blast?

That wiki page is not all that thorough, and perhaps has not been updated since 2015 (e.g., I note the Selectable PIDs section mentions battery cell voltages, and speaks of "the Volt from 2011 to 2015 "). The wiki page dates from before the current version of the app that offers individual cell voltage readings.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb... that you didn't read past the first paragraph which does explain how to hook it up.

If you read further down the page, it clearly explains what each section displays and how to interpret it. As you continue to read further down, it explains on how to customize one of the displays to show you what you are interested in seeing.

As far as taking a screen shot, google "screen shot of xxxxx" where xxxxx is your phone model. And as JuneBug mentioned, post the picture(s) here and fellow forum members can interpret them for you.

Good luck.
I did read it all, it does not show what I needed to know, like - should I take a screenshot with the battery full, drained, plugged in? What are the parameters considered to be a good battery vs degraded?

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,370 Posts
I did read it all, it does not show what I needed to know, like - should I take a screenshot with the battery full, drained, plugged in? What are the parameters considered to be a good battery vs degraded?
"drained" will tell the most about a cell state, because that will starkly show weak cells at their weakest. "Immediately after finishing charging" will be of secondary interest, because that will show how well the pack manages to get balanced.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have yet to locate any real "user manual" for the mygreenvolt app. Questions remain unanswered. Will that "Min" and "Max" in the top left of the Dashboard display really tell you the maximum regen braking power than has been applied during the time the app has been running (Min) and the maximum power pulled from the battery for vehicle acceleration (Max)? Or is it a "live" reading that you must be looking at when braking or accelerating? Of what use is the "usable SOC% (kWh)" reading? Far too many users resort to posting a screen grab from their android or apple device showing their cell voltage screen and asking "does this look okay to you guys?"

The individual cells in the battery pack should be "balanced," but it’s unclear how "unbalanced" the cells can become. There seems to be some sort of consensus that the high/low voltage difference between the cells in the battery pack should be 121 mV or lower, but it’s unclear if any large differences in the cell voltage readings are meaningful at any time they are taken, or just under particular state of charge conditions... when the pack is fully charged? At the point when the default "switch to gas" is made? While fully drained with the heater running full blast?

That wiki page is not all that thorough, and perhaps has not been updated since 2015 (e.g., I note the Selectable PIDs section mentions battery cell voltages, and speaks of "the Volt from 2011 to 2015 "). The wiki page dates from before the current version of the app that offers individual cell voltage readings.
Thank you, that is what I have been saying about the Wiki page- how much variation is considered unbalanced, when to take a reading-plugged in, full or empty, etc. It's not inclusive or nube user friendly. Thanks to Scott's post, I now know to take a screenshot with battery full and I assume not plugged in? And another with battery drained and heater on?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"drained" will tell the most about a cell state, because that will starkly show weak cells at their weakest. "Immediately after finishing charging" will be of secondary interest, because that will show how well the pack manages to get balanced.
Thank you that is just the sort of information I've been looking for.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Colorfulness Rectangle Plot Font Parallel

I will work on trying to get one with the battery depleted. I just got this one with the battery fully charged for days, car turned on, would it matter if the radio and headlights were on?

· Super Moderator
6,306 Posts
I will work on trying to get one with the battery depleted. I just got this one with the battery fully charged for days, car turned on, would it matter if the radio and headlights were on?
That seems pretty well balanced (ie. 21 mV). The drained may be more interesting. Note that on that display the y-axis scale dynamically adjust so it makes the bar chart appear more ragged than it is. ie. if it started at 3.000 then it would appear flatter.

FYI, a couple slides in this post and a few down from it on balancing with the Volt: 2011 Volt Owners - TSB N172130461 cell balancing...

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
2011 Volt Owners - TSB N172130461 cell balancing...
That seems pretty well balanced (ie. 21 mV). The drained may be more interesting. Note that on that display the y-axis scale dynamically adjust so it makes the bar chart appear more ragged than it is. ie. if it started at 3.000 then it would appear flatter.

FYI, a couple slides in this post and a few down from it on balancing with the Volt: 2011 Volt Owners - TSB N172130461 cell balancing...
Thanks Scott. I feel a little better already. I will get a depleted scan and posted as soon as I can. Mine is a 2017.

· Registered
3,883 Posts
"Siri- take a screen shot"

When the app came out we also has a post thread of more people posting the battery cell information in addition to the one scott posted.

one of the apps will make a .csv table -- I collect those in NOTES on my phone.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Okay, this is with the battery depleted ignition on unplugged in my 2017 with 54,000 miles on it. Thanks View attachment 175681 .
Uh I dont think that is an active panel of the app. Purchase is showing to purchase I think. There is no values to the right of the bottom text either like your first one. I am unsure why the app does this once ou purchase the upgrade as the first pictures seems to show you did or you would not see the cell voltage stuff. Try reconnecting again.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Uh I dont think that is an active panel of the app. Purchase is showing to purchase I think. There is no values to the right of the bottom text either like your first one. I am unsure why the app does this once ou purchase the upgrade as the first pictures seems to show you did or you would not see the cell voltage stuff. Try reconnecting again.
I depleted the battery again and went to my green Volt and it shows purchase. So I click on purchase it does processing and then it says error you already own this. So I take a screenshot but I don't know if the screenshot is for real or not. Why is this so confusing?
Rectangle Plot Font Parallel Software
Rectangle Green Font Parallel Screenshot

· Registered
1,331 Posts
I get the same error message too.some times it works,other times not.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts