GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2019 Volt. I am wanting to install a front parking camera, however I am not too sure where I should tap into for power. Most install instructions I can find are for rear parking cameras, and they tap into the brake light. I thought about using the daytime running lights, however I noticed that all the wiring is wrapped with what appears to be some special thermal tape, and messing with that wiring seems a bit over my skill level...

Is there a fuse under the hood that I could use a splitter with? Would it be better to run the power through the firewall along with the video feed, and then tap into a fuse in the interior (although feeding the cable through the firewall seems to be a challenge by itself). I have read tutorials where people are using a RCA Video Extension Cable with Detection Wire (https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Mo...on/dp/B01M2B7OI0?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_16115971011), and they are using the detection wire to power the camera...running it through the firewall into the passenger cabin, splitting a fuse, etc...

Thoughts? I have installed a dashcam in my previous vehicle, and successfully tapped into a fuse - that is pretty much the extent of my experience with vehicle electrical...Has anyone installed a front parking camera on their Volt? Help would be appreciated...

Adam

·
Registered
437 Posts
Some have tapped into a fuse in the box down on the left by the driver. You'll find a thread here started by 'jcanoe' that contains a link to a Youtube video of someone using this fuse to install a dash cam. Here is that link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jjNqjABPo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the suggestions, but I know where to draw power from the passenger cabin.

My question is: Where can I easily and safely draw power from the engine compartment? Or is it safe to run a long power cable through the firewall into the passenger cabin? Which is easier/better?

Again, I am asking about a FRONT PARKING CAMERA - i.e. attached to the FRONT license plate...

Thanks,

Adam

·
Registered
133 Posts
OK, I also thought you were talking about a dash cam. There's a place where you can connect a "Jumper cable" to the battery in case your 12 volt dies. Look in the owners manual for its location which is on the drivers side near the firewall. There is a cover you can open and remove to access it. This is the location I used to install a trickle charger connector and has 12 volt power at all times. There is a screw terminal there. I would put a wire from your camera to this terminal with a small fuse attached to the terminal end. You don't want to try to go through the firewall if you don't have to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This is a brilliant and overdue idea... a front sensor or camera just for concrete barriers and curbs to prevent air dam damage. Why the Volt did not come with one front sensor specifically for this function is beyond me. Nonetheless, ideas and experiences with various front barrier sensors are most welcome. I now plan to research and install one and will share accordingly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have tried to attach a pic of where it is. To the right of the brake canister.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Power Location

Volt Power.jpg
Possibly this will show where.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Could you use this attached to the front license plate?

I'm not sure if it's still available (post was in 2013).

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
I've seen solar powered cameras in license plate frames in Walmart and some auto parts stores. Thought about using something like that for a front camera. Jbakerjonathan I see has a similar thought.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've seen solar powered cameras in license plate frames in Walmart and some auto parts stores. Thought about using something like that for a front camera. Jbakerjonathan I see has a similar thought.
I didn't investigate the power source for the camera. Maybe it's solar powered, maybe hard wired. I'm hoping that the mounting can be adjusted to show the view directly down to capture the the raised curb, similar to the way the rear camera does. The connection to the mirror display inside is via WiFi.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts