GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My workplace has an old GE Wattstation pedestal that no longer functions. They’re looking for an option that isn’t too expensive that will allow L2 charging. It will be free, but they’d like some sort of control over who uses it (passcode protected maybe). Not essential however.
The electrical feed 50a and 208 volts (it’s phased).

If I can suggest a viable option for them, they’ll likely go for it. Any great ideas out there?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
My workplace has an old GE Wattstation pedestal that no longer functions. They’re looking for an option that isn’t too expensive that will allow L2 charging. It will be free, but they’d like some sort of control over who uses it (passcode protected maybe). Not essential however.

If I can suggest a viable option for them, they’ll likely go for it. Any great ideas out there?
Very generous place you got. I have to plug mine into a 110v outlet but since I work long hours, it's fully charged by the time I'm able to go home.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Yes. a bunch of 120V outlets in the parking lot would be more cost effective, serve just as well and cover more EV's assuming an 8 hour or so workday.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. a bunch of 120V outlets in the parking lot would be more cost effective, serve just as well and cover more EV's assuming an 8 hour or so workday.
They actually asked if that would suffice. I work at a small college, and suggested L2 would look better to prospective students and their families. Maybe I’m just being selfish tho.
Here’s my temporary setup and parking space. EVSE is hanging on post by the building:

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
590 Posts
Agreed, and that way each owner is responsible for their own equipment. This makes much more sense than having people argue over access to a limited L2.

OP, a simple padlock can limit access.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
You also want clear signs that cars not charging will be towed. Otherwise, trolls with lifted 4x4 trucks will park there to block ev's from charging.
"WILL BE TOWED" makes a big difference...

Location makes a difference as well. A few Tesla (and other) owners tend to view EV charge spots as theirs, even when not charging. Especially if the spot is convenient. So locating the charging spots a bit out of the way reduces the need to police the spots from the same sort of people who will park in a handicap spot because it's convenient and empty.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
To prevent theft of your portable charge cord, make a loop, tuck it behind a wheel spoke, then run the handle through the loop. Apply a padlock where the cords cross. Someone can unplug the car but the padlock keeps the EVSE attached to the wheel. Impossible to steal? No, but definitely makes theft very inconvenient.

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can get a charge cord (EVSE) rated at 20 amps and 240 VAC for $199 from Amazon. Screw it to the mounting position so it does not get stolen. And you aer good to go

1 - 10 of 10 Posts