GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I got a 2017 and the FM radio reception is just bad. Its so bad its like there is no antenna and i keep hearing little static. Does anyone experience this also? Is it a connection problem or an antenna issue? Thank you.

·
Registered
926 Posts
No idea, but you should check the other thread about FM performance.

Mine works pretty well though I only tune in to stations from 92.5 to 106.1 up and down the I-5 corridor.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I live 20 miles SE of St Louis (on Illinois side of Mississippi) and I have ZERO issues picking up STL FM stations probably 25 to 30 miles away, as most towers are west of the city in the burbs. Of course this is here in the mid-west where there are very few obstacles to interfere with receiption.

If it continues in other locales you may have a poor connection between the vehicles antenna and the HU requiring a visit to your dealer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is another thread on this issue. (IIRC, it's a poll thread.) There are other people with problems; you're not alone. For me, it's worse than my previous three cars, but not so bad as to be unusable. FWIW, I live ~30 miles from the transmitters for the stations to which I listen.

As a workaround, you could use a cell phone with iHeartRadio, Pandora, or some other app, assuming you drive in an area with decent cell phone reception and you've got a suitable data plan. (I'm assuming you want news or current music, not music from your own collection that you could just put on a USB drive or your phone.)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Guys I got a 2017 and the FM radio reception is just bad. Its so bad its like there is no antenna and i keep hearing little static. Does anyone experience this also? Is it a connection problem or an antenna issue? Thank you.
Maybe there is no antenna. Take the car to the dealer and have them check the connection to the antenna, my guess is that the cable isn't screwed on correctly.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Picked up car last night.. went back today to ask why the radio sucks! they played with it and immediately seen what I meant. it goes in for service on Tuesday.. I'll post what comes out of this

UPDATE: They are telling me the Antenna needs to be replaced. Since I just bought the car they are taking care of it, but it will take time as the antenna needs to be painted to match the car.. Will update again when complete to let you know if it fixed the problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Picked up car last night.. went back today to ask why the radio sucks! they played with it and immediately seen what I meant. it goes in for service on Tuesday.. I'll post what comes out of this

UPDATE: They are telling me the Antenna needs to be replaced. Since I just bought the car they are taking care of it, but it will take time as the antenna needs to be painted to match the car.. Will update again when complete to let you know if it fixed the problem
My fm reception died after heavy rainstorms last week. I suspect water got into the shark fin fm antenna amplifier. It still works fine for OnStar and SiriusXM and AM works. It's out of warranty due to high mileage on my 2017.

The replacement antenna costs $200 plus custom painting so I'm not going to do anything about it unless the cell and satellite functions fail.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts