GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read @viking79 post about buying a Clarity.

My 2013 Volt has been good to me, but it will soon have close to 150k miles, and I prefer to move on while we still like each other, before the heartache of old age and high miles sets in and ruins the relationship...

The biggest selling point for me is the 6.6kw charger. My typical usage pattern has me driving 40-60 miles at a time with stops lasting just under 2hrs. In a strange twist of fate, I receive a reimbursement for parking garages (with "free" EV charging) but gasoline is on my own dime. I usually manage 70 EV miles per day in the Volt. With the Clarity, I could probably cover 130 out of 150-ish miles.

For my next car I would like:
- greater EV range than Gen 1 volt
- must accommodate tall passengers
- must have adaptive cruise control
- 6.6kw charging or better
- Android Auto
- a premium car, although not necessarily a luxury brand.

I spend a considerable portion of my life in my car, so I need it to have comfortable supportive seats and pleasant ride quality.

I find the design of the Clarity to be funky-functional. It's borderline from some angles, but never quite manages to offend. I have mixed feelings about it, but the engineer in me generally likes it more than dislikes it.

So as a recap, the Clarity is a spacious car that gets ~10 more EV miles per charge, gets ~5 more MPG (on regular, thankyouverymuch), charges twice as fast and will probably hold it's value better for a similar price as an (utterly boring) Gen 2 volt.

I seriously considered a leftover 2017 Cadillac CT6 plug-in. Local pricing is excellent and it's very well equipped, but its effective charge rate is even slower than the Volt (6mph?! Get with it Cadillac!) and the EV range is much less.

The Gen 2 to Volt looks like a generic Korean compact, has slow 3.6kw charging, and is not tall passenger friendly. Also, local pricing is only OK. The range and battery thermal management is enviable though.

A Tesla Model S is out of my budget, and Model 3 won't be realistically available for another 2 years to non-reservation holders. :-(

Nissan Leaf is... Meh... It's fine I guess. I can't bring myself to be excited about it, and past experiences with Nissan have been underwhelming.

The ideal car would be somthing like an electric Volvo V90, Lincoln Continental, or even an electric Tahoe, but we probably won't see cars like that for another 5-10 years.

Did I miss something?

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I usually manage 70 EV miles per day in the Volt. With the Clarity, I could probably cover 130 out of 150-ish miles.

For my next car I would like:
- greater EV range than Gen 1 volt
- must accommodate tall passengers
- must have adaptive cruise control
- 6.6kw charging or better
- Android Auto
- a premium car, although not necessarily a luxury brand.

I spend a considerable portion of my life in my car, so I need it to have comfortable supportive seats and pleasant ride quality.
Looks like a very reasonable choice to me.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=honda+sensing+2018
https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-plug-in-hybrid#technology
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/01/08/honda-clarity-phev-affordable-efficient-roomy/

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Did I miss something?
Bolt? Seems to have everything you want except for ACC. And perhpas that luxurious interior.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Talk you out of it?? Man, just look at it. That should be enough to make you buy something else.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Talk you out of it?? Man, just look at it. That should be enough to make you buy something else.
This poster speaks the truth. Not QUITE as offensive as a Prius or Gen 1 Leaf, but awfully close.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Pfft... It's downright handsome in that lovely dark green color....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Clarity is one butt ugly car. reminds me of a certain ugly model of Pontiac with those rear fenders. I would never pay good money for an ugly car like that.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
A key benefit of the Clarity PHEV versus the Volt is the rear seats. If you need to carry adult passengers in the rear seats even some of the time then the Clarity would be a better choice. The Volt is a better choice than a pure EV as a commuter vehicle or for two people with luggage, with the ability to take spontaneous road trips and weekend excursions without first consulting an oracle.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
The Bolt has 238 mile range, 7.2 kW charge rate and DCFC. Tall people are welcome (I'm 6-2). Dealers are dealing on the price. The car lacks the luxury brand interior, but I don't stroke and massage the dash or doors all that often. :) People debate on the seats, but with 6 months of use mine have been fine.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Seems to meet all your points. If you like the Volt but want a decent rear seat, it is a natural choice. The odd rear fenders are its only offense in my mind, but you say you are OK with the looks. I think I would be, too, in the right color. I think you found your car. Good luck.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I'm strongly leaning towards the Clarity as well. I test drove the base and touring last night, and think the Touring is worth the extra money (~1" more headroom up front, you can tilt the lower seat base, power seats (not a huge deal for me, but I like more seat adjustability that comes with it), slightly nicer interior materials, nav if that matters to you, I think pre-conditioning only comes as no cost on the Touring from looking at Honda's website).

I get the looks comments, I think it has some odd views from the rear 3/4rds or so, but it is much more cohesive in person. There's some bits of the gen 2 Volt's styling I don't particularly care for, and some of the Clarity - I kinda put them even after viewing them in person. I actually like the air curtain vents in front of the rear wheels though, some seem to hate them. It breaks up the car, and they're functional.

The rear seat headroom isn't huge due to the sloping roof, but I think you can reasonably fit someone who is 6' tall back there for an extended trim. At 6' 3" I have lots of legroom sitting behind myself (in the Volt my knees are hard against the seatback), but the headroom is a bit cramped. This works for me, and gives a lot more room for car seats and me to be comfortable in front of them.

I'm worried about the speed in EV only mode, but in Sport mode the thing is pretty darn quick down low even with a dead battery. Going to do a full battery (or near to it) test drive today sometime and make my mind up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Bolt? Seems to have everything you want except for ACC. And perhpas that luxurious interior.
Oh, I had forgotten about the Bolt.... But now I remember why.

I like the power train, but the interior is not even as nice as a Malibu or Camry, in fact it's more like an electric Chevy Sonic. The tall, narrow, stubby proportions have never agreed with me either. Whatever happened to "longer, lower, wider"?

When I bought my Volt, I really missed having ACC. Im not willing to compromise again, especially considering that it's become commonplace on affordable cars these days.

I'm strongly leaning towards the Clarity as well. ... I think pre-conditioning only comes as no cost on the Touring from looking at Honda's website).

I get the looks comments, I think it has some odd views from the rear 3/4rds or so, but it is much more cohesive in person.

Going to do a full battery (or near to it) test drive today sometime and make my mind up.
Please let us know your impressions of the ICE with a flat battery, and the audio system quality. I agree, it looks a bit strange, but then, I look a bit strange myself and that's never stopped me. ;-) It does look better in person.

Dealer says that only Touring trim gets HondaLink app support with preconditioning.

·
Super Moderator
6,309 Posts
I saw they have some different deceleration techniques. It seemed like a well thought out solution (i.e. sport mode keeps the level you selected).

Good video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OOwVl9ytMo

4-Level Deceleration Selectors
Utilize innovative technology with the 4-Level Deceleration Selectors in your Clarity Plug-in Hybrid. Customize how your hybrid battery charges through regeneration, all without taking your hands off the wheel.
I think all these car choices are fantastic and will only help GM in the end even if some here buy non-GM cars. It creates awareness with family, neighbors, co-workers, etc. That generates more sales later in this category. It just saddens me that GM wasted their time with the ELR when they could have done a plug-in CUV and mid-size. They wasted their advantage IMO (but still had great truck sales /s ).

·
Registered
444 Posts

I like the power train, but the interior is not even as nice as a Malibu or Camry, in fact it's more like an electric Chevy Sonic. The tall, narrow, stubby proportions have never agreed with me either. Whatever happened to "longer, lower, wider"?

When I bought my Volt, I really missed having ACC. Im not willing to compromise again, especially considering that it's become commonplace on affordable cars these days.

Please let us know your impressions of the ICE with a flat battery, and the audio system quality. I agree, it looks a bit strange, but then, I look a bit strange myself and that's never stopped me. ;-) It does look better in person.

Dealer says that only Touring trim gets HondaLink app support with preconditioning.
With a flat battery the engine comes on, but it's not really intrusive with moderate driving. Think more gen 2 Volt NVH levels rather than gen 1 Volt (which is kinda thrashy at even medium loads). When you give it the full beans, the ICE does make itself known, but it didn't seem particularly intrusive.

I'd put the audio system quality about even with the gen 2 Volt (Bose and base sounded about the same listening to the radio to me, Bose system probably has more base when fed with good source). I think the touch screen is fine, and I honestly don't get the freak out over no volume knob. I can't remember the last time I touched it in my BMW - probably over 6+ months ago. I just use steering wheel controls which the Clarity has obviously.

Suspension calibration is softer than the gen 2 Volt, but body motions seem much better controlled over any sort of rough pavement. The Volt definitely lets its torsion bar rear suspension be known on bumpy stuff IMO.

Flat-ish battery (3 bars) and sport mode actually gave really good acceleration down low. I'd say it was a tad faster than a gen 1 Volt, but probably not quite up to a gen 2 Volt, or maybe about equal. But honestly, we're talking tenths of a second here, but it's competitive. It's enough that I was surprised at how much it was moving, but the ICE is definitely in use here.

I still need to feel it out on the road at higher speed and see how the EV power compares. I have a feeling it'll be fine for 95%+ of my driving, and then I'll just accept the ICE running the other 5%.

The 6.6 kW charging rate (they state it as 32 A though - verified via Honda's specs on their website) should help for charging at work since I won't have a charger more than a few hours at a time.

The regen wasn't that strong with a dead battery, even at "4 chevrons" (max). I'm guessing it gets better when the battery is warmer and can take more current(?).

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there any way to control when the resistive heater is active (i.e. fan only mode)? If I know I'm going to run the engine, I like to draw all the heat from the engine coolant.

Also, is there any display to see how many kw have been used or the electric vs. gasoline miles?

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Clarity is one butt ugly car. reminds me of a certain ugly model of Pontiac with those rear fenders. I would never pay good money for an ugly car like that.
If it doesn't make you shiver just looking at it, well.....

Sorry, you DID say you wanted to be talked out of it, yes?

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts

A lower CUV is called a "sedan" :) Every car is a compromise of price, performance, styling.

Odd that you'd think the Clarity has good styling compared to a Bolt or Volt. I could live with it, but still the Gen 2 Volt looks a heck of a lot better. I'd say even Gen 1 Volts look better than the Clarity. But styling is subjective. YMMV

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Odd that you'd think the Clarity has good styling compared to a Bolt or Volt. I could live with it, but still the Gen 2 Volt looks a heck of a lot better. I'd say even Gen 1 Volts look better than the Clarity. But styling is subjective. YMMV
I do find the Clarity a bit strange, like many new Honda's, but it's size is better. In person it is quite a large car, 1 inch wider than a Chevy Impala and only about 8 inches shorter.

I like the Gen1 Volt. The Gen 2 is not ugly, it's just anonymous. Same with the Bolt. I came up on a Bolt on the highway a few days ago and couldn't help but compare it to the Yaris one lane over. The Bolt is an impressive feat of engineering wrapped in dad jeans.

GM has historically been very daring with designs like the 66 Olds Tornado, the 68 Riviera, or the current Cadillac CTS. Some day, GM will make an EV that's has a beautiful taught body and a Camero-esq surface tension.

Until then, I may have to put up with weird slashes and puzzling oragami styling.

Sorry, you DID say you wanted to be talked out of it, yes?
I agree, it looks bubbly and bloated in that picture... Ugh... Maybe I'll just ride my motorcycle instead.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It is ugly and boring.

Quoting
In 2014, General Motors notched just 597 sales of Chevrolet vehicles from official dealers in Japan.
Through October 2015, that figure is 428.

You purchasing a Japanese car will be contributing to very one-sided trade that we currently have with Japan.

By buying Bolt / Volt / Tesla, you are supporting American engineering and American manufacturing.

I repeat again - it is ugly and boring.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts