GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks.

Well the Volt that I bought in January has the “service high voltage charging system” warning/CEL and it won’t charge. Are Chevy dealers the only places to take these cars, or are there independent shops that can work on them? As far as I know, everything except the battery itself is definitely out of warranty, and I always prefer non-dealerships for out of warranty work. I just don’t know if anybody else really works on these. I’m specifically looking for a recommendation in Chandler, Gilbert or Tempe (ideally), but I suppose I would go anywhere in the greater Phoenix area if they’re the best and affordable. Even narrowing it down to Chevy dealers, there’s more than one relatively nearby, and it’s quite possible they’re not equally good at working on Volts. Any suggestions appreciated, I’m really hoping this is no big deal. The car was babied by the original owners, there is not a thing that could be done and repair and maintenance that they didn’t do…

Thanks, Doug

P.S. FWIW, and in case it matters, it has been really hot the past two days and that is when it happened for the first time. I topped off all the coolant tanks and reset the CEL after the first incidence, it came back on under the same circumstances the next day (after sitting all afternoon in covered parking in the heat).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi, Doug--

For an issue such as you've described I'd recommend a dealer rather than an independent shop. My Volt and I live in Phoenix, and have seen pretty good service at several sites around the Valley. I've had good maintenance experiences in Chandler at Freeway Chevrolet and in central Phoenix at Courtesy Chevrolet.

And although I haven't been there, Autonation Chevrolet Arrowhead, 91st Ave and W. Bell, has a Volt tech who's on this board from time-to-time: mpmoore1979

P.S. In five years' of Phoenix summers I've never seen the CEL warning you got.

Reactions: dvancleve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks spanman :) I will give Freeway a call in the morning, I have been playing phone tag with the guy recommended at Earnhardt buffet haven’t actually spoken to him... Doug

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Update: I ended up taking the car in to Freeway Chevrolet after playing phone tag with various people at Earnhardt for a day. I had the codes cleared, since that money was already spent, and brought the car home without having them do the repair. The diagnosis was that the float in the battery coolant reservoir was stuck, not a bad sensor as I expected. The repair was to replace the reservoir, $130ish in parts and $600ish in labor. I did call Earnhardt and ask if that was reasonable, they said yes. I drove home in hold mode and did not get the warning again, so I let the car sit a week while waiting for the WOT sensor bypass to arrive. I got it installed and, voila, all is well. My fallback was to take it to an independent shop I have used for hybrid work in the past (and should have called first) to have the codes cleared again to install the bypass. I did learn that Freeway charges $109 an hour (or maybe that is their diagnostic fee) and Earnhardt charges $150…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts