GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the Volt have a 40 mile range WITH the generator running, or does that mean 40 miles on the battery alone? If the latter, does the generator recharge the battery enough to keep the car going indefinitely (well, until the generator runs out of gas)? I want to make sure I understand this correctly. The "range" concept is extremely important.

A 40 mile range, if it can't be extended, makes the car unusable for many commuters in larger cities, people who live in the suburbs and commute 15-30-45 miles each way every day, with much of that commute spent inching forward in rush hour traffic. This is important, because these are the very people who typically have the income to buy a Volt, and who have the greatest need for reduced fuel costs. These days, if you live in an outlying suburb with, say, a 30 mile commute, you're looking at $500 - $800 a month just for gasoline. That's more than enough to make the payments on a new Volt!

Also, can the generator be run while the car is not operating? Seems like it could. Drive the Volt 25 miles somewhere. Park it and flip on the generator, so it'll be recharged when you come back out a couple of hours later...?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Does the Volt have a 40 mile range WITH the generator running, or does that mean 40 miles on the battery alone?

If the latter, does the generator recharge the battery enough to keep the car going indefinitely (well, until the generator runs out of gas)?

Also, can the generator be run while the car is not operating?
The Volt has a 40 mile all-electric range.

Yes.

No. (The generator has enough power to maintain the batteries at 30% - you want to wait to charge up until you plug in the wall to recharge the rest of the way)

·
Registered
103 Posts
There's information all over the web that the car runs for 40 miles electric only, THEN the gas engine comes on spinning a generator that will provide electricity to drive the car forward AND maintain a MINIMUM charge level on the battery. You don't want to "recharge" the battery with the gas engine. To save money, be green, remove reasons for war, etc., you would plug in the car to store 40 miles of grid provided electricity. The car is electric with a 40 mile battery range, use grid electricity to power it. When you exceed the 40 miles or deplete the battery then the gas engine comes on to get you where ever you want to go at much greater expense by using gasoline (also funding terror states).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I gather this generator is pretty small, if all it needs to do is emulate a standard wall socket.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Help, Administrator! (?)

Great site, but the repeat posts are getting a bit out of hand, aren't they? Perhaps it's time for some sticky posts, and a warning to "read before posting or be deservedly flamed! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize. Feel free to delete this thread; I've been reading the other forum content, which answers many of my questions. Guess I just got a little too excited..... :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts