GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m looking for a gen2. It seems like there are two general options in my area and, generally, both are LTs. Option “A” is a ’16 or 17’ with 75k-100k miles. The cheapest option A I have found was from a private seller asking $18k, but it looks like most are closer to $20k. Option B is a car with 30k-50k miles in close to, if not excellent condition mostly 2018, maybe some 2019 and these are asking $28k-$32k. I would assume this jump in price has to do with concerns over warranty and future support/repairs for the car??? So, if you had the funds, but prefer to spend your money wisely, would you generally choose option A or B?

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 110k+ Miles
1,241 Posts
Between the 2 choices, I'd go with option A. I don't have any concerns with mileage on these cars, and I put on the mileage. The concern is calendar age, so save yourself a lot of money and go for the much cheaper option.

Reactions: Cloudnine

·
Registered
994 Posts
It seems the most common problems in gen 2s are BECM failures and EGR issues (I think it's the EGR cooler that has to be replaced, if I remember right). These are expensive repairs and covered under the 8/100k warranty. So ask the seller if they have maintenance records. If these have been replaced recently, I'd be hopeful (although not necessarily confident) that they were replaced with upgraded parts that have less chance of going bad. I might be more tempted to buy a less expensive/higher mileage version IF one or both of these parts has been replaced.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
141 Posts
Also, I heard that over 80mpg average means mostly battery use. Is that good or bad or does it matter? I thought age of battery matters more than how much it was used
Probably doesn't matter. As said above, the age of the battery is probably going to matter more than the number if cycles, and the engine/range extender is likely to outlast the car in either case.

·
Registered
166 Posts
As said above, the age of the battery is probably going to matter more than the number if cycles, and the engine/range extender is likely to outlast the car in either case.
It’s all debatable, but from my reading up on NMC chemistry over the last 5 years, it doesn’t deteriorate if left sitting at a reasonable level.
So if the previous owner is not bothering to charge much, essentially using like a hybrid in Hold or Mountain, the battery could be like new if the mileage is low.
In that case the engine might go from daily use long before the battery.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier Citron Green
111 Posts
I’m looking for a gen2. It seems like there are two general options in my area and, generally, both are LTs. Option “A” is a ’16 or 17’ with 75k-100k miles. The cheapest option A I have found was from a private seller asking $18k, but it looks like most are closer to $20k. Option B is a car with 30k-50k miles in close to, if not excellent condition mostly 2018, maybe some 2019 and these are asking $28k-$32k. I would assume this jump in price has to do with concerns over warranty and future support/repairs for the car??? So, if you had the funds, but prefer to spend your money wisely, would you generally choose option A or B?
I have a near-perfect 17 Premier that I am currently advertising at $22,500 in the classified section of this forum. It will be available end of this month. I am in the Tampa Bay area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts