GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I need a more local S FL Volt owner...

Guys I need your help. read below then answer or pm me. Thx...
I had a chat with a friend of our family today and discovered he's looking to buy a car.
He's a frugal guy like me and wants to buy used. He owns his own business and commutes about 35 miles one way.

Well, although I'm pretty passionate online about the Volt, in real life I've kept pretty low profile about it. But when I heard what he was planning to buy, I briefly mentioned about how I'm saving up to buy a used 2011 Volt.

It turns out my friend has NEVER before heard of the Volt. He is a true "tabula rasa" i.e. blank slate. He doesn't need any misconceptions cleared up, or anything like that. I told him I think he could probably get a used 2011 Volt for $28 grand (I wonder if maybe less). He was looking to spend a bit less than that but I (briefly) assurred him the Volt would pay him back in fuel savings.

But he and I were trying to manage our little kids who were going wild and our wives were chatting and it was too noisy for me to really share. Because the Volt is soo near and dear to my heart I didn't want to come across as a total geek so I just said "it's a REALLY cool car, drives very smoothly, and is really really efficient." I mean, he's never HEARD of it. I didn't want to weird him out. I didn't even mention it's electric & gas powered, LOL.

So around then goodbyes were being said, but he he wants me to help him next weekend or maybe sooner, to pick out his car. He's thinking I can help him avoid getting a problem-ridden ICE car, but I'M thinking (and I told him) that I want to change his mind about the car he is interested in.

I seriously wish I had my Volt already so I could have just said, hey come look at my car in the garage. Instead of saying "hundreds of miles per gallon" (I didn't tell him because I didn't want a "yeah right") he could have seen it on the Volt display.

I'm a professional, and I'd be happy to give my full info via pm which you can confirm (i.e. I'm not a criminal, ok). I just don't want to post my personal info publicly here because I've made lots of commentary online here and that commentary is not necessarily representative of the views of my employer, etc. I just want my friend to experience a Volt somewhere other than a dealership, shown by an articulate friendly knowledgeable owner.

I could get my friend a test drive at a dealer, but that's like going into the dragon's lair for the diamonds. So if another Volt aficionado (or two) will meet up for even fifteen minutes with us I think I could change my friend's life (I.e. create another Volt fan).

South Florida, Broward county, greater Fort Lauderdale area

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wrote a 1-year review recently that explains the Volt and my experience with it, and wrote it for folks that know little or nothing about the Volt. Have him give it a read, and I (or anyone else here) would be happy to answer any other questions he might have.

http://www.weberchevrolet.net/blog/one-year-with-a-chevy-volt/

·
Registered
847 Posts
I told him I think he could probably get a used 2011 Volt for $28 grand (I wonder if maybe less).
FYI, base models were going for ~$35K a few months ago, which is $27,500 after the tax credit. So there's a good chance your friend could get a used Volt for under $28K.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I wrote a 1-year review recently that explains the Volt and my experience with it, and wrote it for folks that know little or nothing about the Volt. Have him give it a read, and I (or anyone else here) would be happy to answer any other questions he might have.

http://www.weberchevrolet.net/blog/one-year-with-a-chevy-volt/
Nice review, need to point out that "gas generator" is not exactly correct, since the ice can apply torque to the transmission.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Nice review, need to point out that "gas generator" is not exactly correct, since the ice can apply torque to the transmission.
Again, it was written to be easily understood, and to not make the car sound complicated to the non-technical/mechanical potential buyer. In the year of driving my Volt, I'm not sure that I ever had an instance where the ICE needed to apply any torque to the transmission, and if that's the case, the engine was serving as a generator for 100% of my CS miles. In my case, I think 'gas generator' is about as accurate a description as I could come up with while keeping it easily understood. :cool:

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Out of pocket, my new 2011 Volt in July 2012 was roughly $25k but I planned way-ahead for the purchase. 9-mo prior, I got a GM Card credit card and hit the $1000 earnings then they mailed out a coupon for an additional 1500 off. With the federal tax credit, PA rebate of 3500 and the earnings, the total at the end was roughly $25K - plus tax and fees.

Used - who knows. Does he want it right now? Could he wait toward the end of 2013 to get some off leases that started with the late months of 2010 purchase of 2011 models?

What's his tax situation and can he use the tax credit to purchase?

If he hasn't heard of the Volt, he would have to watch some of the online videos to understand how it works. Don't rely on the sales guy to explain its workings. I simplify it as 40+40. 40 miles electric range then 40mpg after that. In FL, you might do much better than that.

Check out Stingray Chevrolet in FL as they have some deals going now and might even have a few used on the lot. See link below. And, with shops like them where they have 1200 cars on the lot and perhaps hundreds of used ones, you could find something there. Of course, there are other dealerships around. It's moderately "unbelievable" that he hasn't heard of the Volt with all the ads they put out over the last couple years (tv, print, radio).

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
He's international and has his work visa/green card... ergo used is better for that reason as well. very family oriented, not a big tv watcher... So no, he and his wife gave me a blank look and turned to each other and asked "I've never heard of of the Bolt, have you?" and then asked me, what brand is that? So no, truly blank slates.

Yes, he wants to change his car ASAP.

Yes, I've been watching Stingray and that's why I threw out $28 K used because they just had a 2011 Volt for 28818 (which I now think may be a bit high but was the best I'd seen for a used Volt... a dealer right around here has a used 2011 Volt for $36 K. This car doesn't depreciate much after the tax credit is subtracted......)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thinker I share your comment re Volt. I had gone to 3 dealers in Miami but cant make deal. They want to charge arm & leg when I see great deals from stingray. just dont want to go that far to buy Volt. I work at a big agency and many folks (educated & professionals) have no clue about the coming EV revolution albeit a small one. Many folks just like your friend and cud not care less about new technology in cars that we use everyday. However, they want the latest iphone .. even the old one is working fine.. That is the just way life is in many urban areas... btw I rarely see a Volt in S Fl ... I have written about how dealers are about pushing ICE .. and pay no attention to Volt. Oh well

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
If this guy's frugal as you say you need to be able to present him with a business case to find him the cheapest car to run. If it's the Volt, great, but otherwise he'll still end up with an efficient, reliable car,whether it's a conventional compact or a used Prius.

Just work off the commute.
2 x 35 miles per day 52 weeks per year, 5 days per week is 18,200 miles per year.
How much does gas cost?
How much is electricity at marginal off-peak residential and daytime business?
How much is an independent oil change?
What's his commute like? If he'd be driving highway, given flat Florida terrain I'd expect comfortable EPA highway mileage and that'd make it hard even to beat a conventional compact, let alone a used Prius.

E.g. $4 gas, 36mpg annual cost is $2022. You can get a 2008 Civic LX for $10k.
48mpg annual gas $1517. You can get a used 2010 Prius for $16k or less.
Current prices down there are below $3.50, right?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If this guy's frugal as you say you need to be able to present him with a business case to find him the cheapest car to run. If it's the Volt, great, but otherwise he'll still end up with an efficient, reliable car,whether it's a conventional compact or a used Prius.

Just work off the commute.
2 x 35 miles per day 52 weeks per year, 5 days per week is 18,200 miles per year.
How much does gas cost?
How much is electricity at marginal off-peak residential and daytime business?
How much is an independent oil change?
What's his commute like? If he'd be driving highway, given flat Florida terrain I'd expect comfortable EPA highway mileage and that'd make it hard even to beat a conventional compact, let alone a used Prius.

E.g. $4 gas, 36mpg annual cost is $2022. You can get a 2008 Civic LX for $10k.
48mpg annual gas $1517. You can get a used 2010 Prius for $16k or less.
Current prices down there are below $3.50, right?
VERY good point. He's frugal but I don't think he's a miser and he wants a relatively recent model year, good performing and good looking car (he specifically wasn't interested in the Prius). He's interested in the Elantra (I didn't have a chance to mention the issue with Hyundai's inflated mileage issues... I think I recently read about). So the Volt I think would make clear fiscal sense.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^Thanks! I might take you up on the offer... Anybody a bit closer, like Sunrise/Plantation/Davie/Pembroke Pines/Weston?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
VERY good point. He's frugal but I don't think he's a miser and he wants a relatively recent model year, good performing and good looking car (he specifically wasn't interested in the Prius). He's interested in the Elantra (I didn't have a chance to mention the issue with Hyundai's inflated mileage issues... I think I recently read about). So the Volt I think would make clear fiscal sense.
OK so he's not really that frugal, just careful. If you want him to get a Volt try to figure out TCO so he'll know how much it'll cost him and then he can try a test drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts