GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '13 was rear-ended 6 weeks ago with significant damage (car is STILL in the shop).

I love the '13--unique styling, fully loaded, two-tone interior, sport wheels. It got more attention than my old Cadillac. I got a "once in a lifetime" 14K off MSRP by locating a leftover model in the middle of truck country where the Volt is simple not marketable. I can't afford the same package on a Gen2.

I'm kicking around three options:

1) pick up a NEW fully loaded '14 Gen1 that was a dealer demo and negotiate a deal that puts me in the same position financially after tax credit (the dealer wants to move the car)--but would I want a Gen1 again with the Gen2 out? With a Gen 2, my 56 miles commute will probably be mostly, if not exclusively electric.

2) get a NEW '17 LT with leather offered for 26.5K locally (no-haggle price--best price I've seen on a '17)--while I don't like it as much as my '13--it has those crummy base model wheels and no other options but the comfort package+leather), it seems the LT with Apple CarPlay could "feel" like an upgrade. This would cost more than the NEW '14 by a few thousand.

3) pick up the '13 from the body shop, drive it into the ground, hope for no paint issues, leaks, rattles, etc. cropping up

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Depends on where you live
Here in Florida some cities still haven't got the 2017 model yet

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
How much are you going to get for your MY2013? That might be the deciding factor if the trade-in/sale price changes based on your decision. Financially, #3 will be your best answer for sure. If I were you:

First, I'd get the car back and drive it. If it feels significantly different than new (even if there is nothing repairable that you can point out), then I would consider trading it in. If the 2017 comes to anything close to the 2014's out the door price, I would go with the Gen 2. It might even be possible to pick up a used, lease return that has similar features to your current car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also like the styling of Gen-1 better than Gen-2, but being able to regularly complete a full commute on electricity is a huge plus, IMO. I would take that over any option. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
3) pick up the '13 from the body shop, drive it into the ground, hope for no paint issues, leaks, rattles, etc. cropping up
Any thoughts?
What does option 3 have to do with the other two choices? You will be very glad you got the discount on the 13 on the purchase as a major wreck on the record is going to make a huge hit in price, selling in a market that already is very soft in values for a used car where there are plenty of no damage history / rust bucket states cars to choose from

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, a couple grand difference to get into an LT Gen2 over a loaded Gen1 seems smart especially for the range. Did any of you guys go from a loaded Gen2 to a base LT Gen2 and feel like you're missing something (besides leather)?

It seems some of the standard options on Gen2 fills in some of what used to be higher priced options on the Gen1.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I can't think a single reason to go to a Gen2 or buy a MY14 demo...Thank you for sharing your financial, you state you cannot afford a premier which is only $4K more than LT base, but since you state it has leather, the difference is closer to $2500 which makes me think getting a Gen2 will put some financial strain on you...You're also going to be surprised how little you'll be offered for your repaired Gen1...

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
#3 first. You can always change your mind if any actual issues surface vs. the hypothetical ones you list.

·
Registered
208 Posts
right now if you go to www.carmax.com you will find around 91 2013 volts for sale,and everyone of them is between $17,000 to $20,000 and anywhere from 28,000 to 35,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, a couple grand difference to get into an LT Gen2 over a loaded Gen1 seems smart especially for the range. Did any of you guys go from a loaded Gen2 to a base LT Gen2 and feel like you're missing something (besides leather)?

It seems some of the standard options on Gen2 fills in some of what used to be higher priced options on the Gen1.
I love both my 2013s. The wife thought she wanted a Gen2 for the 3 seat capacity in the backseat. However, no matter how I look at it, it just is not worth the added cost. It is a little different now that when I got rid of the 4WD F150 for the Gen1. I will likely keep these 2013s and pick up one of the new VW all electric hippie buses when they come out and hand off the 2013s to the kids at some point.

·
Registered
743 Posts
You can buy a new 2017 LT with leather and comfort, which lists at $35,455, for $26,500, which is a $9,000 discount? That is a 25% discount which is more than the 20% Chevy discount on 2016s. Please tell me where. I want to buy one.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
If you are going to trade it right away and the dealer discounts it due to the accident, press the insurance company for that difference as diminished value in the form of a check and with any taxes included. That would be a valid argument to prove diminished value vs. If you were keeping the car after repairs, especially when you are not at fault.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello Alot of people would do choice #2 if they could. Only a few have found 2017 at that price. If someone has a big salary then do what you wish.
Anyone could also ask if they should upgrade and turn in thier existing Volt to get the 2107. And many have. That would raise my monthly budget to the point where I would have neg cash flow (ie no $ to savings). I would have to pass on the new 2017. But maybe later.

You can buy a new 2017 LT with leather and comfort, which lists at $35,455, for $26,500, which is a $9,000 discount? That is a 25% discount which is more than the 20% Chevy discount on 2016s. Please tell me where. I want to buy one.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I've learned, unfortunately, that some dealers advertise a "low" price factoring in X number of rebates that suddenly don't apply after showing up. I had that experience when buying the '13 and walked away from one place. I negotiated my next deal entirely over the phone to avoid wasting time. I'm not convinced yet this great price will hold firm from the beginning to end--but I've never seen a '17 LT even advertised that low and it's certainly worth a try.

My '13 has low miles but was quite damaged and I've known many with bad experiences afterwards--including my wife's car. It's probably more a question of whether I want the hassle and mystery while I also deal with physical issues from the accident itself.

My dealership (which is repairing the Volt) is willing to give me an offer on the '13 (good tip Prohidium) and look for another Volt locally for a dealer trade (they only have one LT in stock in a color I don't like). Whether or not they can get that great price from the other dealership, who knows, but since I don't even have my car yet I have nothing to trade anyway. Maybe it will work out. I definitely miss driving a Volt!

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If it is a 'forever' car, I'd go with the Gen 2. Better drivetrain, infotainment, etc. And should something major happen 10 years from now, parts will be a lot more available.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The regular gas instead of premium, 42 mpg running on ICE, 52 electric miles, and (sort of) 5th seat, makes the Gen 2 a worthy upgrade in my opinion. I'm not quite ready to let my 2013 go yet (I really want to test drive the Bolt and Model 3) but for those thinking about the Gen 2 I don't blame you in the slightest. It's a great car with tons of upgrades from the Gen 1.

Also this guy posts some good pros and cons with his recent upgrade from Gen 1 to Gen 2. Maybe this will come in handy if you haven't seen it already...

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?216817-My-new-loaded-Gen2-Pearl-LTZ-First-impressions-what-an-upgrade!

·
Registered
154 Posts
First off, Glad you are OK and not in much physical pain. Once you heal up, go and test drive a Gen2. Don't let any pain meds interfere with your decision :confused:

I originally was going to buy a used Gen1 and never thought I would consider a new purchase. I decided to test drive a Gen2 and it was months before the Gen2 showed up in NC. Once I got to test drive the Gen2, I was impressed enough to consider my first new purchase at age 50. Especially since the $7.5K tax credit will eventually go Bye Bye. So I have been patient and saving to buy a new Gen2 without straining the pocketbook. I like you would easily make my 48 mile commute to work in Gen2 plus the improvements in the cockpit are worth it. I recently had some time to kill and took a used Gen1 out for a spin. They are a great car, but it feels completely different than a Gen2. I will stick to my slower plan to save and wait till GM offers better incentives this fall.

I installed a CarPlay receiver in my truck and have gotten used to the safety of this feature and it continues to be a deciding factor for Gen2. The hands free phone features of the Gen1 are complicated. I listen to lots of podcasts and being able to easily forward 15sec through the commercials
HTML:
in CarPlay keeps me a safer driver. Otherwise I could end up ass-ending someone and cause the mess you are in.

I second the sound advice from Prohidium that you should find out how much value has been lost when you trade in and be compensated. You should find out this figure and fight for compensation, regardless of the three decisions you propose.

By the way...How much confidence do you have in your Volt after surviving an accident in it?

God Speed in your Recovery
Jon

·
Registered
466 Posts
We had two 2013 Volts. (His and hers)
Got a 2017 recently, a few basic observations:
Seems slightly bigger inside.
Better acceleration.
More range.
More geek infotainment panel. (But I can't figure how to get the tire pressure page up)

No discounts in Floirda, pay full price baby. $4-5k less in California. We thought about flying over and driving home, too lazy I guess.

Money wise I should have gotten a 2015 Volt in August instead of the BMW Diesel when my 2013 Volt lease was up. (Mistake)
Also Money wise we should have bought wifey's 2013 Volt in April when the lease was up. $13,600 with 18k miles, another $2k for warranty and tire package for the next 3 years. (Another mistake but not sure what to do with the excess money when I die, if any left after savings for keeping the 2013 Volts)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Sort of...$9K off is often the federal rebate $7500 and state of Cali's incentive of $1500...$3K-$4K off hasn't been that difficult to get from the Carb states...To the OP who states their in NJ, both MD and MA has some great discounts on Gen2s...However MY13s can be had for under $15K...Test drive a Gen2 if you already haven't and go with which feels better...

·
Registered
963 Posts
I cannot help you in this matter. I too was looking into a Gen 2 and in the end I decided to stay with my Gen 1. Here are my reasons, maybe biased but this is my view:
- Gen 2 styling is way too blant
- I lose the space between the rear seats which is of great use for me
- The rear head space is worse in Gen 2
- I feel a bit squeezed from the sides when driving a Gen 2 vs a Gen 1
- Gen 2 lost the lower window from the rear
- The Gen 1 is over-engineered and has proven its reliability, while the Gen 2 seems to have some quirks to solve (power loss, rough ride on gasoline)
- The MM in my Gen 1 can add 50% of the battery back in about 15 minutes - the Gen 2 only 20%
There are some pros for the Gen 2 also:
- AER is 30% better
- using normal gas
- the A pillar is slimmer
But all of these are of little importance for me, when I am at almost 88% of EV driving. And I am now closer to home so I'll be using the Volt as an 100% EV everyday of the year when I go to the office. The only time I am going to use gas will be in the vacation or long week-ends out in the nature. I would change the Volt Gen 1 for a Bolt, not for a Gen 2, especially with the L3 development we see here in Canada (eastern Canada).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts