GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching Volts for a while now and after realizing the MA $2500 rebate incentive only has 4% remaining funding, I'll be making a purchase in the next few days.

With that said I'm torn between picking up a 2017 Volt Premiere in Silver with Driver Confidence I & II packages for $29,000 or a new 2018 Volt LT in Black with Comfort and black leather options. I find the silver color just ehhh. Not my favorite, but not bad either. If the Premiere was in black or grey or something, I would definitely jump all over it.

The one issue with the LT is that it doesn't have the LT Confidence Package option. Do you think this option is worth it with the back up sensors and blind spot detection? What about the lack of Bose audio between the LT and Premiere? Just looking to get some input for those that have the features and if you feel they're worth it.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
I'd go with the 2017. Having had a black car I know first hand just how much time it takes to keep it looking sharp. Silver hides the dirt far better. Also, consider the registration costs - the 2018 is a model year newer and will therefore be more expensive to register.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I have/had blacks cars. If you have a dirty car you should be washing it anyways whether it "looks" dirty or not. The look of a black car in late evening and at night reflecting the muti color lights is reward enough not to mention the added slipperiness of a clean car plus less paint scratches to the paint from dirt being ground in. As for Bose it was difference between day and night for me. My car had to have Bose. As for features, most of them are "toys" that I didn't need. Park assist was pretty amazing but I personally would seldom if ever use it. Some features attempt to take over your situational awareness which may or may not be a good thing depending on your state of health/youth or lack thereof. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what I or any one else thinks (feels). Only you can make the decision.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'd go with the 2017. Having had a black car I know first hand just how much time it takes to keep it looking sharp.
Every one should own one black car in their lifetime, then if you decide to buy another one, you'll know what you're in for. Preferably buy it while you're young and don't mind washing it every 3rd or 4th day and waxing it once a month

Nothing looks better than a freshly washed and waxed black car, but no car looks dirty quicker (and in need of washing) than a black car. Mine was an '86 Toyota Supra, black on black and with black leather - Beautiful!! I had it repainted pearl white the 3rd year I owned it

For Volts, I prefer the Premiere package, partly because that's the only way you can get ACC. I've had one black car and 3 silver ones - I prefer owning silver, but like looking at black . . . . . if somebody else is keeping it clean :p

Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
2018 Volt in black is a very nice looking car. Much better than gray or silver IMHO and I'm not normally a fan of black cars. Black just seems to work on that body shape better than other shades. Just don't ask me to wash your too. One is enough! And it gets hot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
With the poor rear and quarter vision of the car- I want as much info as I can get for that area. I find the backup sensors very useful and especially the blind spot detection.
If parked ‘straight in’ it will see things you cannot see at all. It ‘looks’ from the rear of the car to both side.

I sprung for the Premier just because I wanted all that stuff- even though the cost was quite a lot more.

Mark

Edit:
I also had my dealer to a ‘dealer to dealer’ trade so I could get a colour I wanted. I originally wanted the red (just because the last number of cars I’ve had were blue)- but the blue one with all the options was avliable and I quite like the colour.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go with the tech...

I would be going with all the cool tech ... but that's just me. :)

Black is cool but the car will get blazing hot (depending where you live). LOL

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
My one black car was a 1975 Cosworth Vega and with no factory A/C available, it was a sweatbox.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have 16s in silver and white the silver helps keep the car looking cleaner than any other colors I’ve ever had. I absolutely would want the Blindspot backup protection that to me is the best single feature they have all the other tech stuff in the premier is worth having too given visibility issues mentioned. My silver has all those driver assist bells and whistles and the white one does not. Miss them when driving the white one. Very unlikely that you would need to use the faster charging on the 19. We have the Bose in both cars (both Premiers) — some of the best car stereo I never heard, so I can’t tell you about the LT cause I don’t have one, but I know the Bose is very good from my own experience. To me it’s a very easy decision to get the 17 here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went through this and purchased a 2017 premier in white. My wife loves all the added features, including, blind spot warning, acc and lane assist.

As for the 4% remaining, MA has in the past re-funded the MOR-EV rebate program. (Lifetime $18 million has been dispersed. https://mor-ev.org/program-statistics) So don't let that be your deciding factor. However, I doubt you'll get as good a deal on the 18 as you will on the 17.

Give me a big enough discount and I can live with any color car.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Very unlikely that you would need to use the faster charging on the 19.
I agree - I have DCQC on one of my BEV's and have never used it once in 6 years, nor do I miss it at all on the other car which does not have it

I would guess that 90% or more of Volt owners leave home with a full battery and seldom charge away from home (unless it's during work hours) and leave home the next morning with a full battery again. The standard charger would do just fine for the vast majority of owners - I know I would not pay the extra for the 6.2 Kw charging, as I would very seldom, if ever, need it

Don

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That's very dependent on the owner and how they would use the car - I have DCQC on one of my BEV's and have never used it once in 6 years, nor do I miss it at all on the other car which does not have it

I would guess that 90% or more of Volt owners leave home with a full battery and seldom charge away from home (unless it's during work hours) and leave home the next morning with a full battery again. The standard charger would do just fine for the vast majority of owners - I know I would not pay the extra for the 6.2 Kw charging, as I would very seldom, if ever, need it

Don
Right. For a car like this one that has a generator, hard to see the need, particularly if you can charge it at home with enough time and charge to get to a full battery before you leave in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
897 Posts
2019 Chevy Volt, charge twice as fast!
If that matters to the OP.

For us it would mean charging would be complete at midnight while we are sleeping vs at around 2 am while we are sleeping.

The 2019 is going to certainly be more spendy at this point vs these two options. You would have to do a ton of mid-day charging to make up the price difference in gas savings.

I would go with the 2017. The blind spot and rear cross traffic alert are both very helpful. Also the collision alert and low speed auto brake are good to have too. You may get an insurance discount.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
If that matters to the OP.
For us it would mean charging would be complete at midnight while we are sleeping vs at around 2 am while we are sleeping.
I charge at work and at public charging stations. The sooner it can be fully charged, the better for other fellow EV owners.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I charge at work and at public charging stations. The sooner it can be fully charged, the better for other fellow EV owners.
I agree for anyone who needs to charge more often than I do, which is just at night while sleeping. That is something for the OP to consider.

As a Volt owner, if charge stations start filling up, on the rare occasions that I may want to use one, I would always defer to those with a BEV, since I never actually need a charge.

I want to see the most number of EV miles for everyone not just myself, so if someone can grab more miles per hour at a charge station than I can, my preference is for them to use the spot.

Yes, everything else being equal a faster charging rate is better for all. However the OP is clearly looking to get into a new Volt for a bargain price, and the first 2019's to show up are likely going to be several $k more than the $29k the OP stated. Especially with the 7.2kw capacity.

Maybe those who worry they will be inconvenienced by the 3.6kw rate, should pitch in and send the OP enough money to get a 2019, with that option, instead.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I enjoy the Bose system. But, have never heard the LT's standard sound.

DC I & II are very good safety features. And, ACC is well worth it in my experience.

So, my preference would be for the '17 Premier.

But, of course, color would be your personal consideration.

JED
loaded '17 Premier, silver

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
If you care more about looks, get the color you want.

If you care more about safety, get the tech. It's a safer car to drive plain and simple.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've been researching Volts for a while now and after realizing the MA $2500 rebate incentive only has 4% remaining funding, I'll be making a purchase in the next few days.

With that said I'm torn between picking up a 2017 Volt Premiere in Silver with Driver Confidence I & II packages for $29,000 or a new 2018 Volt LT in Black with Comfort and black leather options. I find the silver color just ehhh. Not my favorite, but not bad either. If the Premiere was in black or grey or something, I would definitely jump all over it.

The one issue with the LT is that it doesn't have the LT Confidence Package option. Do you think this option is worth it with the back up sensors and blind spot detection? What about the lack of Bose audio between the LT and Premiere? Just looking to get some input for those that have the features and if you feel they're worth it.
Dang, that funding goes out quick. I am still waiting for my rebate (been about 60 days since I got the approval from MOR-EV). Only 4% left now, wow. It will be gone before you know it.

Back to your question. I'd go with 2017 fully loaded version for the same price. Personally, I don't care much about the color as long as it is not red or green.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts