GM Volt Forum banner

HELP, GM Certified blunder

8K views 43 replies 25 participants last post by  Davis0042 
#1 ·
I bought a 2014 Chevy Volt in October 2016 and one of the big selling points was that is was GM Certified which gives you a 2 Year bumper to bumper warranty. I just went in for service yesterday and got charged because it comes up that I have no warranty on the car! Apparently sales never did the paperwork to certify it and now they are avoiding me. Is there anything I can do to get this corrected?

#10 ·
It went in for multiple problems;
Front suspension groans every time I go over a dip in the road at low speeds. (dealer says they found nothing, but never took it for a ride)

Front park assist keeps shutting itself off even though I am going under 5 MPH. (dealer says I shut it off)

Lane departure assist keeps going on and off at highway speeds with clearly marked lanes. (dealer handed me a printout of how the system works, again never took it for a ride.).

My EV range has fallen from 38 miles electric only range to only 23 (dealer says that I am mistaken, 2014 Volts only get a maximum of 23 miles of electric only charge).

When the engine is used I get the smell of burning rubber that will even come into the car when stopped at a red light. (dealer says I am mistaken there is no smell or anything wrong, and once again they never took it for a ride).

My infotainment system locks up and I cannot change anything, the screen it is on and all adjustments ie. volume, channel, climate, etc. are locked out. Sometimes the rear camera will stay on as I start to go down the road. People on this site have had this happen and have said the dealer had to do an update to take care of it. (dealer says I am mistaken, the infotainment system is fine and not locking up and that there is no such thing as an update for it.).

#4 ·
My CPO 2013 had a 1 year 12 k mi B to B warranty when I bought the car in April 2016. When did GM start doing 2 year B to B extensions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
My CPO 2013 had a 1 year 12 k mi B to B warranty when I bought the car in April 2016. When did GM start doing 2 year B to B extensions?
Pretty sure the GM CPO B2B warranty is just 12 months. OP - tell us what your purchase documents say. If CPO is not on there, it didn't happen.

#5 ·
Bring in the Chevy Electric Team Advisors. Call EVERYBODY.

#7 ·
He still has not explained the work performed, the miles on the car, and the original sales date.

There might be blunder, there might not. If there is blunder, it might be the seller or the buyer.

My 2013 is still under the basic Factory Warranty as of Christmas break. I took my daughter's car in a for a warranty repair and it was finished a couple hours later. But her B2B expired.

#8 ·
To try and get me to buy they said "What if we certify it for you" and told me of all the perks that come with it.
Apparently when they sold it to me they never followed through with it because there is nothing in my paperwork or in the dealerships database. When I tried out the car the front license plate was a "GM Certified" plate but due to MA registration laws requiring both front and back plates it was taken off.
You were correct it is only 12/12 B to B sorry for the mistake.
The website ad on their site for the car I bought had pictures of the car and the GM Certified information that says "12 Month/12,000 mile B to B, 2 years/24,000 miles scheduled maintenance, New 6 year/100.000 mile powertrain with $0 deductible, and 24/7 roadside assistance & courtesy transportation.".
Now I'm getting the run around and their claiming it was so long ago that they don't remember.

#11 ·
Given your description of every issue with the dealer's position on each one, time to try a different dealer. On the warranty issue it seems you already know the tough spot you are in. I'm guessing you don't have screen grabs or any documentation, email correspondence or anything like that which could help establish the position that they sold it to you with warranty?

#12 ·
The only thing I have is the pics of the car and the GM Certified perks that were posted with the ad on their website. Any lawyer would just say I took that from another of their ads.
That dealership already lost ALL my business regardless of what happens with the warranty. If GM can't or won't do anything then I will never buy GM again New or used.

#14 ·
There is a reason car dealers have a bad reputation.
Rule #1: If the dealer makes a claim about the car, have them WRITE it on the contract or show you where it says that on the contract.
Rule #2: Thoroughly check out the car for dents, paint isues, etc. and make sure the car has everything they claim.
Rule #3. Don't buy a car in the dark.

I'm sorry you allowed the dealer to bamboozle you. If the dealership is basically saying you are wrong, I think your only recourse is to get an attorney involved given that you have nothing in writing to back up your claim.

As far as the battery mile reduction, that's normal for this time of year.

#15 ·
Save anything that supports your claim and file in small claims court for the amount they want to charge you to fix your car. Name the dealership and if your state allows supeona the salseman that told you it was a CPO car as well as all the paperwork. If the web ad said the car was CPO the dealership had to coordinate this with GM so there must be some paperwork. If they didn't coordinate with GM they were lying in their ad, you have them either way. Don't yell and cuss and make a scene, just be business like and file in small claims and have them served. I like to pay for a uniformed marshall over certified mail. There is a chance they will decide its not worth the hassel and settle.

By the CPO may not mean what you think, see link below.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=hOH8jXTwELg

#17 ·
#18 ·
So your saying Turbo2 should write headline statements for tabloid rags.
[emoji23]

#20 · (Edited)
Not all used cars on a dealer lot are CPO units (despite signage or web listings)

There are GM guidelines for CPO qualifications that must be met. For instance it must have a clear title, less than 75,000 miles on the odometer, it must not have been a daily rental car, and it must be a USA car (not Canadian export/grey market)
If ANY of these didn't apply it can't be registered with GM as CPO.

The dealer pays a $369 fee to register cars that meet the CPO guidelines, once they do this they are provided with a special CPO window sticker and you should have been provided with a 172-point CPO Inspection/Recondition report for the car as well as a specially printed CPO customer materials, warranty booklet and card at delivery.

If this was not done, it wasn't a CPO car

WOT

Attachments

#22 ·
Not all used cars on a dealer lot are CPO units (despite signage or web listings)

There are GM guidelines for CPO qualifications that must be met. For instance it must have a clear title, less than 75,000 miles on the odometer, it must not have been a daily rental car, and it must be a USA car (not Canadian export/grey market)
If ANY of these didn't apply it can't be registered with GM as CPO.

The dealer pays a $369 fee to register cars that meet the CPO guidelines, once they do this they are provided with a special CPO window sticker and you should have been provided with a 172-point CPO Inspection/Recondition report for the car as well as a specially printed CPO warranty card at delivery.

If this was not done, it wasn't a CPO car

WOT

Thank you, you just answered my question and made it clear. I got them to agree to a sale price way lower than they really wanted to go down to. They didn't want to pay the fee to certify it on top of losing profit on the sale.
I guess calling GM is the next step.

#23 · (Edited)
When I bought my CPO with 45k mi. I noticed the tires looked like new and mentioned it to the salesman. He told me that GM requires new tires as part of the CPO certification. Now I can tell you the brand that were installed are worthless in snow.

Every thread I've read about winter condition driving praise how great the car is in snow conditions. My car sucks on snow covered roads. My prius is great though. The Volt either spins the tires and relies on traction control or when braking the anti-locks are pulsing. I blame it on the crappy tires the dealer installed on the car.

DEFINITY HP 100's

#27 ·
Does any warranty information show when you look your car up on Mychevrolet.com? If you go to the Maintenance link on the left navigation pane of the website then click on warranty tracker there is a list of current warranties along with the mileage and expiration dates. click on the one called CBG Certified Pre-Owned Limited Warranty.

#38 ·
You're saying the car was listed on their site with information that described it as GM Certified and with a warranty. This can be verified. Find the URL for the dealership's website and go back to the time when you originally bought the car. You should be able to find clear evidence that it either was, or wasn't listed as GM Certified.

#39 ·
I talked with the Sales manager today and at first he questioned why I ever thought that this car was GM Certified. I explained that the pictures on their web ad listed it as such and when I test drove the car it had a "GM Certified" plate on the front. I also explained that the salesman I purchased it from used the fact that it was Certified to make the sale. By late afternoon he had called me back to say that my car would be GM Certified as of tomorrow and apologized saying he wasn't sure what happened and why it wasn't done at the time of sale. He also offered to help me out on some of the issues I have been having with the car (as he is the dealerships Volt expert) and also said that the Service department was dead wrong telling me that 23 EV miles of range was the best my car could do no matter what the conditions. :)

#40 ·
Very cool... This is a good lesson in holding back from extreme emotions until you first apply patience and let things sort out before you get too angry. These are lessons each and every poster in this thread has probably learned in their life, or will. Glad it seems to have worked out relatively painlessly, good job on going to the sales manager. Hope you get to learn the Volt (as I'm still doing and many on here are) and get to enjoy what it has to offer, now as GM Certified (well as of tomorrow). :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.