GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to join the forum because I have this question to post to "those in the know":

I am currently considering the purchase of a used 2011 Chevy Volt. The vehicle has 50K miles on it and appears to be in good shape with a lifetime 110MPG. I do not live where the dealer is located so I asked if they could send me an image of the dash with a full charge, as it is very important that it is still able to maintain the proper charge/electric range; before I drive several hours to see or purchase it. I am concerned because it indicates an all electric range of 28 miles after full charge. Most used Volts that I have found still indicate 32-36 miles on a full charge.

I was wondering if this would be a deal-breaker for purchasing this particular Volt? Or whether that is typical.
Also looking at a 2012 with 35K miles, but its not the color I prefer nor does it have the leather, nav, etc. as the 2011 with more miles.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance-

·
Registered
665 Posts
The number of miles displayed on a full charge is just an estimate based on recent driving habits. It is not an accurate gauge of the battery's health.

A more accurate gauge would be the amount of kWh expended on a single full charge, which is shown on the center energy use screen. That number should be somewhere north of 9.5kWh for a 2011. Again, this is not foolproof, but should at least be somewhat meaningful, as opposed to the estimated miles remaining figure, which is not meaningful at all. This may be diffucult for the dealer to show you, because it requires charging the car to full, then driving it until the battery is exhausted, which can easily take an hour if you're not near a highway.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Wanted to join the forum because I have this question to post to "those in the know":

I am currently considering the purchase of a used 2011 Chevy Volt. The vehicle has 50K miles on it and appears to be in good shape with a lifetime 110MPG. I do not live where the dealer is located so I asked if they could send me an image of the dash with a full charge, as it is very important that it is still able to maintain the proper charge/electric range; before I drive several hours to see or purchase it. I am concerned because it indicates an all electric range of 28 miles after full charge. Most used Volts that I have found still indicate 32-36 miles on a full charge.

I was wondering if this would be a deal-breaker for purchasing this particular Volt? Or whether that is typical.
Also looking at a 2012 with 35K miles, but its not the color I prefer nor does it have the leather, nav, etc. as the 2011 with more miles.

Thanks in advance-
Reporting in from Kentucky here neighbor. Honestly, as another poster said, that number from a full charge is actually meaningless. It is simply a prediction of past driving habits. I am sure the battery is fine and if it were not to be, guess what? It is still under warranty. No worries. If you have any other questions, feel free to private message me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I agree with the other folks. I also have a 2011 Volt with 50K miles. This morning my charge showed 41. But over the weekend I had been a little more wild in my driving so on Monday my charge was 38. Honestly it is really about how you drive but I have to admit what you are seeing looks kind of strange. Does the person you are buying from have a serious lead foot? ;)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
We haven't really seen any real degradation in the Volt battery. As others have mentioned, the estimated -- and it's just an estimate -- mileage range simply reflect recent driving habits. There is BTW an eight year battery warranty which includes faster than expected degradation.

Basically there may be a reason or reasons you don't want this car, but the battery is probably not one of them.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I agree with the other folks. I also have a 2011 Volt with 50K miles. This morning my charge showed 41. But over the weekend I had been a little more wild in my driving so on Monday my charge was 38. Honestly it is really about how you drive but I have to admit what you are seeing looks kind of strange. Does the person you are buying from have a serious lead foot? ;)
This is my third time trying to post this. We have satellite internet and it is storming away (Volt unplugged of course). Anyway, when my 2012 was delivered it stated 28 miles on the battery estimate with a full charge. This morning it estimated 44. When cars sit on lots they tend to have a lot of "idle" time where the salesman and/or the prospective buyer plays around with the car. Or it may get driven under less than ideal circumstances or both which dramatically affects the battery estimate. I am sure the battery is fine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Normally I get in the 40 mile range, my son borrowed the Volt and the next morning it showed 25 miles!
Had a little talk with Speedy! it was back in the 40's the next day

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Very helpful. Keep it coming. I've attached a couple screen shots from the dealer.

SO personal opinions from you all:

Assuming same price point:

2012 Charcoal Gray with 35K miles Base model, no frills.

2011 Black with 50K miles, heated leather, nav.

Other than black being the color I really want, any preference on the above. lower mileage newer car seems to be more logical.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
And the price, as with the current discounts when new combined with tax credits, makes buying used not the obvious choice

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Very helpful. Keep it coming. I've attached a couple screen shots from the dealer.

SO personal opinions from you all:

Assuming same price point:

2012 Charcoal Gray with 35K miles Base model, no frills.

2011 Black with 50K miles, heated leather, nav.

Other than black being the color I really want, any preference on the above. lower mileage newer car seems to be more logical.
Assuming the same price point, I would easily choose the loaded Volt. Have you completely ruled out a new Volt?

·
Registered
115 Posts
The 2011 model has been driven app 33,676 electric miles.

Some quick math for ya: 50744 miles / 110 lifetime mpg = 461.3 gallons used

461.3 gallons * EPA avg 37mpg = 17068 miles driven on gas

50744 - 17068 = 33676 miles on electricity

Of course, this is just an approximation, but should be in ball park. This battery should have plenty of life left, considering the number of volts with over 60k electric miles and climbing....

·
Registered
524 Posts

Thanks in advance-

I do not want to rain on your parade but IMHO the battery should be way down on the items of concern list, since it has a warranty. Is there a way to accurately check the entire vehicle maintenance history? Carfax or Auto Check can give you owners/miles/maybe accidents, but that would be just one source. The car could have been traded/sold due to mechanical, technical or other problems with it. My Volt has been perfect, and I love it, but many other posters here have reported difficult to solve problems. If it is coming from a dealer, is it the original selling dealer? If so, they should have the full history on it. If not, watch out.

If there a way for you to know the full and accurate history of maintenance and/or trouble issues on it I would strongly suggest due diligence. If not, and on a Volt, I would be very hesitant to buy a used one (with no warranty?) or cautious at least.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Also, to consider: Actually, the 2011 may turn out to have the best reliability of all the Generation I Volts, because the entire car was so over engineered. (just speculation, of course)

There have been more reports of software and hardware glitches on later models than on the 2011 ones, they have pretty much all been fixed for free under warranty.

·
Registered
205 Posts
A more accurate gauge would be the amount of kWh expended on a single full charge, which is shown on the center energy use screen. That number should be somewhere north of 9.5kWh for a 2011.
Sorry but the KWH usage indicator is not found on a 2011 model. I have a 2011 and I'm partial to the first year model. My 2011 has 37000 miles and regularly returns 37-41 mile range each morning and has done so since i bought her. She was used but only had 3300 miles when purchased.

Range depends on the Weather....lately it's been hot and I crank the A/C, Also depends on how fast you drive. About 10 miles of my daily commute is freeway at speeds of 70-75.

I personally believe that the first year run are the best Volts made. At the time I think GM believed that they could not flub the launch of the Volt. The car had to be right. I think they over engineered it. The batteries are babied more than the later models, also the 2011's had more standard content that later models. 2011 was the year that Gm proved it could be done, but in later years Chevy has been tweaking the design to try to get some profit out of it.

JD powers reported the 2011 Volt was the most trouble free car in it's class (can't remember what class JD Power has the Volt in)

Plus it still has some battery warranty left on it.

I vote for the 2011...but make sure you get a good price!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great input. Thank you. Can probably for sure get for $16.5, maybe lower. 2011 with 50k was corporate car from Edison utils in Michigan. Carfax clean. 2012 with 35k is GE car, probably from louisville. Had one accident report, side impact. Driver front quarter. Dealer was very forthcoming about this.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
At the end of the day the battery is about range. Unhappily, the estimated range is based on recent history and a car sitting on a lot is going to be low with lots of HVAC and stop and go. No one is seeing much if any degradation in Volt batteries and this one is still under warranty. If its a killer issue a dealer can pull a battery health parameter with their service device that is the objective standard for aging/health/warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am currently driving a leased EV; the lease expires in January and I wanted to start my new car preparation/investigation early. Given that I cannot afford a new one(even with the Fed Tax rebate---and I would qualify)and the lease deals out there are not as generous as they were two years ago, I started looking at used cars. The only used EV that made any sense to me is the Volt. As many of the members of this forum know, quite a few low mileage Volts are coming off lease, and are being sold at relatively attractive prices. It seems as if in the Philly area, a 2012 base Volt with about 15K-25K miles can be had(if you really search) for about $20K. I have some questions about the Volt, based on my current EV experience. In particular, I want to know how well the heater works in the winter? More than anything else, I am bothered by the fact that I cannot really get my car warm enough on really cold days here. Anyone in the NE(PA, NJ, NY, eg)will know what kind of winter we had in 2013-2014 and I don't want to go through that again. The range of the Volt is fine for me. My commute is 16 miles each way, I have no workplace charging but that will probably change some time in 2015. Right now I use the 120V charge as my default standard and I am fine with that. GM has been bragging about the Volt owners' satisfaction, so I want to know if there have been any real "issues" with the car mechanically? To my knowledge, there have been none, at least not on any large scale. 4 seats are great, that's all that I have now in my car and it is usally just me in the car. Sometimes I take my wife to her work, and a few times a month there are 3 of us in the car. So, roominess is fine. If anyone has any comments on the pricing of clean low mileage Volts I am all ears.

Thanks, Lou

1 - 18 of 18 Posts