GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please forgive me, if your seen related posts by me before. Many of those threads are months old, with fewer follow ups.

I live in northeast Ohio, and own a 2011 Chevy Volt. The car is used seasonally, has rarely if ever been driven in snow or freezing temperatures, and has ONLY 29,000 MILES.

A few weeks ago I heard the dreaded buzzsaw whine. I immediately took the vehicle to a Chevy dealer where I had to pay $219 for the "diagnostic" (to tell me, what I already had told them). Obviously I was told it was the bearing, and was also told it was not covered by the Voltec warranty, costing me $1400 for the repair.

GM has offered to do nothing. No discounts or cost sharing on the repair, not even an offer to extend the warranty beyond one year after I pay for the repair (which was my request in lieu of warranty coverage).

GM customer care through their "Social Media Group" has proven to be absolutely useless. They were emailed the relevant facts of the case (e.g. problem, mileage), yet they proceeded to get those important facts wrong (referring to the bearing problem as "a noise" and recording the mileage as 38,000. They then go on to state:

"After evaluating the situation thoroughly, it was determined that no cost assistance would be available as your vehicle is outside of all applicable warranties by both time and mileage."

Thoroughly? Time AND mileage? Really? Then in the same email they invite me to take a customer service satisfaction survey (yeah, right), AND I AM ACTUALLY GETTING SPAM EMAILS FROM THIS THIRD PARTY COMPANY!

So lets recap:
1. MAJOR failure on a pampered car with less then 30,000 miles
2. HORRIBLE customer service
3. GM doing NOTHING

The car is sitting at the dealership to this day. Anyone interested on a low mileage Chevy Volt, may consider this vehicle for sale.

For the Chevy volt owners who have had this problem:

What did you do? If the vehicle was out of warranty, what did you pay? Did GM help? How did you go about getting help? Who did you talk to? Did you have to have this component repaired more than once? How many miles between repairs?

For ALL Chevy Volt owners:

Would you keep the car outside of warranty after so few miles with such a high cost repair?

If you had my experience with GM would you consider buying another Volt or any other GM car?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
A couple of general thoughts:
Premature failure can and does happen with any car.
The repair costs can be high (outrageous).
Eg. the cost to change a $8 water pump gasket on a turbo Mini is $900 (and yes it does take 9 hours like the book states for those that have done it themselves can attest).
You can run into these problems on any car (I know a mechanic that had a $2,000 job on a newer failed cam gear Audi).

All are good reasons to have car repair as a hobby.

If you decided to not buy from a given Company based on premature failures there would be none left to chose from.

It would have been an idea for GM to pass some good will your way but ultimately, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd contact them again. Open up a case with the correct information. I doubt they'd cover the entire repair bill, but since the car has so few miles, I could see them helping partially. In my experience, calling them on the phone is more effective than online interaction.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A couple of general thoughts:
Premature failure can and does happen with any car.
The repair costs can be high (outrageous).
Eg. the cost to change a $8 water pump gasket on a turbo Mini is $900 (and yes it does take 9 hours like the book states for those that have done it themselves can attest).
You can run into these problems on any car (I know a mechanic that had a $2,000 job on a newer failed cam gear Audi).

All are good reasons to have car repair as a hobby.

If you decided to not buy from a given Company based on premature failures there would be none left to chose from.

It would have been an idea for GM to pass some good will your way but ultimately, you pays your money and you takes your chances.
Wow, did you just seem to imply that if I were mechanically inclined this would not be an issue. LOL, priceless.

FWIW - It's not just the premature failure, it's a failure at less than 30% of the product's intended life cycle. Couple that with the number of people reporting these types of failures, and it is indicative of a design and/or manufacturing problem.

With THAT in mind it becomes how GM is choosing to handles these failures. From my personal experience, I can't see having ANY confidence in this product or the company which produces it.

Having to buy a new car or spend thousands for repairs every 30,000 miles is not an easy option for most people, so I doubt that most people would have as cavalier of an attitude about this as you. I am guessing at the very least they would consider this as a lesson learned and look for a company that would make a reasonable effort to keep their customers happy.

But if you can just shrug off paying $1500 for repairs for a car you use gently, more power to you brother!

Bob

·
Registered
315 Posts
You are the original owner, I presume. Having a good rapport with your dealer, which means having using them for regular service, (if required) should help. Alternatively, get a price from an independent repair place that knows Volts.

·
Administrator
20,022 Posts
Wow, did you just seem to imply that if I were mechanically inclined this would not be an issue. LOL, priceless.
No, he did not.

FWIW - It's not just the premature failure, it's a failure at less than 30% of the product's intended life cycle. Couple that with the number of people reporting these types of failures, and it is indicative of a design and/or manufacturing problem.
Your car is definitely less than the 36K B2B warranty limit, but way over the 3 year and 5 year limit.
Most of the relatively few cars that experienced this issue had it happen within the warranty parameters. Had you been driving the car regularly, your would have to. It's like buying an appliance with a 1i year warranty and not opening the box for 3 years. If the product is defective, you are SOL. This is not an excuse, just an explanation. I wish it were different.

With THAT in mind it becomes how GM is choosing to handles these failures. From my personal experience, I can't see having ANY confidence in this product or the company which produces it.
And then there is my 2011 with 96+k miles on it. No major issues, I've spent about $500 on maintenance/repair to date. Based on your logic, I should have absolute confidence in the car and company. But that's as narrow sighted as your zero confidence conclusion. Cars break, they are expensive to repair, the cost a lot of money. Warranties are only good if your problem happens inside the warranty zone. It sucks, but these "my car broke" and "the warranty is expired" issues are not Volt-specific.

Having to buy a new car or spend thousands for repairs every 30,000 miles is not an easy option for most people, so I doubt that most people would have as cavalier of an attitude about this as you. I am guessing at the very least they would consider this as a lesson learned and look for a company that would make a reasonable effort to keep their customers happy.
Your cherry-picking of one data point (your car) is not a convincing foundation for your statement. You might just as well use my one data point (my car) and decide to buy another because over 7 years and 96k miles my car has been ultra reliable, generally problem free (had a few things fixed inside the warranty zone), and very inexpensive to maintain.

But if you can just shrug off paying $1500 for repairs for a car you use gently, more power to you brother!

Bob
That's nothing I would shrug off, but I have paid just as much for repairs on non-GM cars. I feel bad for your situation, but it's not an unusual one for cars in general.

The best to hope for is that your dealer will take pity on you and cut you a break on the cost, however small. Depends sometimes on how nice and how persuasive and "pretty please?" you are with them. Same for GM. I would not hold my breath though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Bob
I paid $1700 to have the timing belt replaced on my Integra. I was going to do it myself (even bought the parts for about $100) but I didn't have the time before the big trip of taking my Dad back one last time to where he grew up so took it in and had it done. I rarely spend money on servicing cars even though I keep them decades because I do the work myself and even buying specialized tools it's 10% of what you'd normally pay. It's good to have a hobby that saves you a pile of money. If you can't replace your roof, it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't do your own wiring it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't do your own plumbing it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't fix your own appliances it's going to cost you a pile of money. That's the way of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steverino,

People post to these forums to gain valuable insight about their cars and experiences with their cars from their fellow owners.

In my case, I have SPECIFICALLY asked for advice from the people who have gotten some consideration from GM when their out of warranty volt was repaired for the same issue, or from people who have gotten this same repair covered under their Voltec warranty. Is that unreasonable? Is that offensive? If not, how is it at all helpful, or even necessary for you to state obvious things like I'm "out of warranty", and I'm "SOL"? My post clearly indicated I knew those two facts. Your post offered nothing constructive.

Because there appears to be a pattern of premature failures, AND because GM does not seem to be exercising ANY consistency in how they handled repairs on these failures, I have shared my experience regarding the current problem. I was providing context for my opinions and observations. I was also curious as to whether someone with my experience would have their faith shaken in the car and or manufacturer. I asked, you weighed in, thank you. Unfortunately you didn't stop there with your response accusing me of "cherry picking" data points.

Lets be clear Steverino:

In no way did I imply ALL volts are bad, nor I did imply YOUR volt was bad.

I only expressed MY dissatisfaction with the circumstance I am currently in, and implied most people WOULD NOT appreciate having this costly failure so early in a car's life span, nothing more. I am guessing that if others had my personal experience, their faith in the product might be shaken and they might question the wisdom of buying from the same manufacturer again just as what is happening to me. Perhaps I am wrong, that okay. It's one of those YMMV kind of things.

Yet you seem to have to defend GM or the Chevy Volt. You seem hell bent on the need to label my opinion, and experiences as unreasonable. Rather than concede that a car should be able to go 30k before a major repair, you finger point that I wouldn't have had a problem if I had driven the car more. When I explain why I am dissatisfied with my circumstance, you have to tell me how happy you are with your volt. Never mind the fact of a 41k car needing major repairs before 30,000 miles. You remove all context from my statements, then use sweeping generalizations like "I have paid just as much for repairs on non-GM cars", trying to nullify my opinions experiences.

So who's really the "cherry picker" here?

I'm glad your happy with your Volt, Steverino, as I really wish I could be. Unfortunately I will have to pay over $1500 for the diagnosis and major repair of a car with under 30,000 miles. For me, having owned everything from a Yugo to a Porsche, this is unprecedented, and not in a good way. Unfortunately other people have issues with their car too, and don't share the same warm and fuzzy feeling as you do.

I'm curious, do you work for GM customer service, or are affiliated with GM in any way? Because you as a moderator seem to have a vested interest in only one point of view.

This is only my opinion, but when you spend your time posting useless information in a forum for people looking for help, your not being a moderator or even a true community member. Your being either a fanboy or a troll. people having legitimate problems don't need you to excuse a manufacturer's defective design, or product. They don't need you to justify your purchase to them either. They're in a forum looking for help, try giving them help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid $1700 to have the timing belt replaced on my Integra. I was going to do it myself (even bought the parts for about $100) but I didn't have the time before the big trip of taking my Dad back one last time to where he grew up so took it in and had it done. I rarely spend money on servicing cars even though I keep them decades because I do the work myself and even buying specialized tools it's 10% of what you'd normally pay. It's good to have a hobby that saves you a pile of money. If you can't replace your roof, it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't do your own wiring it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't do your own plumbing it's going to cost you a pile of money. If you can't fix your own appliances it's going to cost you a pile of money. That's the way of it.
You are right on all counts, of course. If you can do the work yourself you save money. Sorry for my snide comment.

So did that timing belt fail at 30,000 miles? If so, I wish I had your outlook. If not your still right, but you are missing my point.

I didn't buy a premium vehicle so I can become a full time mechanic. I paid a great deal of money for the piece of mind, which I no longer have. If I knew I'd be on the hook for all repairs, if I knew the Voltec warranty would not cover these repairs, I would have stayed with the 2008 Mariner with 185,000 miles (Bought at 105,000 miles, no major repairs before selling) or the 2002 Toyota bought at 150,000 miles (50,000 miles before selling without repairs).

Thank you for your response.

Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
POVO2018, could you be more specific as to which bearing you are talking about? I'd like to check out the parts and labor pricing from my sources.

Joe

·
Registered
444 Posts
Bob,

Your attitude seems to be really snippy towards people trying to help you. If I had to guess, that's probably why you got denied any "outside the normal terms goodwill" for warranty coverage.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar... These people are only trying to offer you pertinent and helpful advice, I suggest you take it as such.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You bought a car and haven’t used it, which is terrible for any car. The 5/100 powertrain warranty has long since expired, so GM owes you nothing. They may offer some goodwill, but you should not expect anything or complain about what you get.

If you knew this would be your usage pattern, a low mileage lease would have been the way to go.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
You bought a car and haven’t used it, which is terrible for any car. The 5/100 powertrain warranty has long since expired, so GM owes you nothing. They may offer some goodwill, but you should not expect anything or complain about what you get.

If you knew this would be your usage pattern, a low mileage lease would have been the way to go.
This is why in my case, with my low mileage usage, I decided to get a used one that was pretty much out of warranty for a much lower price as a new car wouldn't get me much other than the time part of the warranty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
POVO2018, could you be more specific as to which bearing you are talking about? I'd like to check out the parts and labor pricing from my sources.

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thank you for your response. It is my understanding the component in question is the is the Drive Motor B carrier bearing assembly. The repair is being quoted at about $270 in parts and $900 in labor.

Bob

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Maybe I missed the answer to this, but your Voltec warranty is still in effect, right (not a salvage title or whatever)? I thought the electric motor generators were covered by that. I assume your buzz saw bearing issue is the motor-generator. Mine was replaced under warranty outside of the B-to-B period. I thought it was the Voltec warranty in my case, but can't be certain that it was not the power train warranty. I would pursue that issue further. Numerous forum members have been denied warranty coverage at the first few attempts, only to finally get the right answer when they get to the right people at GM. If they don't know, they say "no," and lots of people seem to not know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts