GM Volt Forum banner

Hello, new here! 2015 Ready to drive!

1047 Views 12 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Elianawonder2
Hello, I'm new here I recently bought a 2015 Chev Volt at an auction, I thought about it for a long time and hesitated because I was afraid that I would be cheated at the auction or buy something bad, the vehicle inspection report helped. Of course, the machine is not completely new, although it is from 2015, but it is in very good condition especially battery. Now I'm thinking of updating it a bit, replacing some elements, and doing a little tuning. I took it for get at work, but I think I won't invest much.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
231 Posts
Now I'm thinking of updating it a bit, replacing some elements, and doing a little tuning. I took it for get at work, but I think I won't invest much.
what tuning are you thinking about? There's not a whole lot to tune on these drivetrains..

welcome to the forum.

· Registered
2015 Red Volt
2,291 Posts
What’s the point of tuning a generator? It’s not going to charge your battery any faster!

· Registered
2,337 Posts
Perhaps any increase in engine output power will reduce generator fuel consumption per kWh of output power generated, i.e., better "gas" mileage...

Similar to the "reduce generator fuel consumption per distance driven" goal accomplished by clutching MGA to Gen 1's ring gear when cruising down the road while extending the range - MGB no longer provides 100% of the propulsion torque, so less generator output power needs to be created per mile driven, so less gas is burned for that function, and "gas" mileage is improved.

· Super Moderator
2012 Std w Nav
5,370 Posts
Similar to the "reduce generator fuel consumption per distance driven" goal accomplished by clutching MGA to Gen 1's ring gear when cruising down the road while extending the range - MGB no longer provides 100% of the propulsion torque, so less generator output power needs to be created per mile driven, so less gas is burned for that function, and "gas" mileage is improved.
I am not sure that the goal was "reduce the propulsion torque" so much as "reduce the speed that MGB needs to spin". MGB is perfectly CAPABLE of driving at full speed but if it can do so at lower RPM, that's more efficient.

· Registered
2,337 Posts
I am not sure that the goal was "reduce the propulsion torque" so much as "reduce the speed that MGB needs to spin". MGB is perfectly CAPABLE of driving at full speed but if it can do so at lower RPM, that's more efficient.
I fully agree that the "engineering" goal was to reduce MGB’s rpm to improve efficiency, same as when it happens in Electric Mode. With no "direct path from engine to wheels" (engine functions only as a generator), the Gen 1 Volt is a fully electric car capable of being driven using electric propulsion only for 300+ non-stop miles. But without the help of the engine’s torque, gas mileage would have dropped. And "BEV" purists would still have refused to view a gas-generated electric powered car as a "real" electric car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts