GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. Finally got my hands on a volt. I am not a big fan of American cars, and this would be my first ever brand new American car. This past Monday I picked up a 2018 LT in white. Manufacture date was early November. The dealership only had it for a week or so. Since I am very apprehensive of American cars, the only options I bought were the extended warranty and winter tire package. Basically I only paid $12k for the car because of the government rebate and my trade in (Kia sportage).

I am having problems with the mychevrolet app and already there is a creak on my driver side door underneath the plastic trim. Other than that so far, so good. If anyone is from the GTA I'd like to hear your thoughts and advice in finding an electrician. I'd like to know what the average cost of installing a level 2 charger. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You'll enjoy the car and an L2 charger is very liberating. Check these guys out, there are a lot of Canadian made chargers and as you are in Toronto, these guys are someone you might want to talk to including who to get to do an install.

https://www.plugndrive.ca

·
Registered
33 Posts
I purchased the Siemens Versicharge plug in model from chargemycar.ca for $850. Installation was done by Select 1 Electric(owners name is John). Every install is a little different. Mine was $800 to run the line and terminate to a plug. Ont gov will send you a rebate for half. I have a 2017 with 18K on it(88% electric) and it's been flawless so far. Good luck and welcome to the family.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The onstar service is the only bad thing I have to say about these cars.
If you lower your expectations to that, you'll love your new ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks but I don't want any headaches. Besides I have to run a line from the panel to the garage. I really don't want to do that on my own. This also might be a good opportunity to upgrade my panel. All depends on the price.

If you have reasonable technical skills and read the local electrical code, then you can probably do the install yourself. You can also purchase a Level II kit EVSE for half the price and build it up yourself and have some fun in the process:
https://www.openevse.com/

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds very reasonable. I will look into that. Thanks.

I purchased the Siemens Versicharge plug in model from chargemycar.ca for $850. Installation was done by Select 1 Electric(owners name is John). Every install is a little different. Mine was $800 to run the line and terminate to a plug. Ont gov will send you a rebate for half. I have a 2017 with 18K on it(88% electric) and it's been flawless so far. Good luck and welcome to the family.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You're right. The only thing I need on star for is theft and accident assistance. Even that I might scrap. I have 8 months so I have time to decide. Android auto with Google maps just eliminates the need for a gps or on star nav.

The onstar service is the only bad thing I have to say about these cars.
If you lower your expectations to that, you'll love your new ride.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks but I don't want any headaches. Besides I have to run a line from the panel to the garage. I really don't want to do that on my own. This also might be a good opportunity to upgrade my panel. All depends on the price.
I got my 2018 LT in October (I'm close to Toronto - in London), and I decided to just use the stock charger with the 240V plug adapter. I will only get 12 Amps but it should bring my charging time down to 5 hours (from 13+ @ 120V).

I also purchased 20 meters of 12 guage electrical wire and ran it to from my panel (in my basement) to my garage. It took about an hour and I had to drill a few holes through some floor boards and out to the garage. But it wasn't too terrible.

Electrical cable was $59.99 + tax
240V plug adapter was $85 CAD

That is my total cost so far. I have a co-worker who is an electrician and he will be coming out to hook up the wire to a 20A breaker on my panel, and also install the NEMA L6-20 receptacle. His cost is $50.00 per hour (and it will probably take him an hour). Cost for the receptacle I am not sure, but online they are about $25 dollars.

Trying to get this done the most cost effective way. I don't plan on getting any other EV vehicle in the next 6 years so I'm just sticking with 20A.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts