GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone,
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have leased my Volt since November 2012 and have loved this car since I took delivery. I came across this forum just a few days ago. It is nice to join a community of fellow Volt devotees.
Since my lease will be ending in Nov 2015, I am looking over options for my next car. Of course, I am considering the next generation Volt, but I am concerned that the money factor and lease rates will be much higher for this "hot new car". I guess we will see what lease options GM offers when it comes out. I was hoping Chevy would increase the size of the backseat more than they did, but I know they are limited without mileage suffering.
Have a great weekend,
Joebruin77

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Hi, everyone,
Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I have leased my Volt since November 2012 and have loved this car since I took delivery. I came across this forum just a few days ago. It is nice to join a community of fellow Volt devotees.
Since my lease will be ending in Nov 2015, I am looking over options for my next car. Of course, I am considering the next generation Volt, but I am concerned that the money factor and lease rates will be much higher for this "hot new car". I guess we will see what lease options GM offers when it comes out. I was hoping Chevy would increase the size of the backseat more than they did, but I know they are limited without mileage suffering.
Have a great weekend,
Joebruin77
As said from the old ABC show Dinosaurs, "there will always be more, that's what more means". I'm holding out for a Malibu or Impala sized BEV or Voltec, or a little CUV. I have a volt, love it, but it only works as a commuter car, it's not big enough for longer family trips with luggage.

And my obligatory statement on leases: I will never lease a car as it is the most expensive way to operate a vehicle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
And my obligatory statement on leases: I will never lease a car as it is the most expensive way to operate a vehicle.
Your statement fails to account for opportunity cost and what you can do with excess capital. It all depends on why and/or how you lease.

I am waiting on an improved P85D++ at a bit lower price point. Been there done that with a number of expensive cars. Now I am happy to use the money elsewhere.

·
Registered
102 Posts
...I am looking over options for my next car. Of course, I am considering the next generation Volt, but I am concerned that the money factor and lease rates will be much higher for this "hot new car". I guess we will see what lease options GM offers when it comes out. I was hoping Chevy would increase the size of the backseat more than they did, but I know they are limited without mileage suffering.
The cost of the 2015 model lease will depend on how many 2015s GM has to move at the end of the model year. Currently they have a deal on the 2015s in several states with $1,500 bonus cash and 0% financing for 72 months. That works out to about $350 a month where the lease would be $250 a month for 39 months, (plus the usual expenses for both). As someone else noted, leasing is great for business and not so great for individuals.
Agree with regard to the back seat in the 2016, they could have added a couple of inches to the interior.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Your statement fails to account for opportunity cost and what you can do with excess capital. It all depends on why and/or how you lease.
Opportunity cost only comes into play if a buyer is paying cash or making a substantial down payment vs. leasing. Since cash isn't an issue when buying a Volt, this is a buy vs. lease scenario and if you can purchase at 0%, the cost to lease is high by comparison.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
As a small business owner... My entire lease payment is a tax write off. What can be cheaper than FREE?
A lease tax write off doesn't mean the lease is free. The business still pays for the lease. The business is able to deduct this expense from their net profit, thus get taxed at a lower rate because of the lease, but that doesn't translate to the car being free. The car might be free for the driver, but not free for the business.

It's amazing how many people want to keep a mortgage around forever for the tax deduction on motrgage interest. Do the math, it's better to not take the tax deduction and own the house outright by paying off the house early.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts