GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I am a proud Volt owner and am excited to join this forum.

About myself: I am a 47 y.o. software engineer. I live in Vancouver, Canada.
My cars:
- 2017 Gen 2 Volt
- put a deposit on Tesla Model 3
- 2012 Infiniti G37xS sedan (selling! no more ICE cars for me)
- 2002 Infiniti G35 coupe (now belongs to my 18 y.o. daughter)

Before buying Volt I tried BMW i3 with and without extender, Tesla Model S 90D and P90D, Nissan Leaf.

We mostly drive with my wife and 9 y.o. son.

I own the Volt for 2.5 months now. Put 8500 km on it. Averaging 1.5L per 100 km.
My longest rip on the Volt is from Vancouver to Prince George and back (1950 km).

Upgrades:
The only upgrade I made is 18 inch wheels with sticky wide tires:
Michelin Super Pilot Sport 235-40R18
The ride is definitely stiffer but the tires handle Volt's torque nicer especially in our rainy weather.
Overall handling improved quite a bit.
I have not noticed any change in the range (maybe on higher speed though), averaging about 100 km per charge.

I would love to hear if anybody tried any mods to make the Volt charge faster than 3.6 kW.
Any existing posts about it?

All the best everyone!

Oleg E.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your Volt.

Do you have pictures of the upgraded wheel/tire package?

There's nothing you can do to exceed the 3.6 kW charging limit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cannot post it yet. Says:
To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey Oleg, welcome to the forum. I would love to hear your thoughts on the i3. I haven't had the opportunity to sit/test drive one, but every time I am up close to one I really like the interior space. It's very clean and minimal, yet it seems very functional. Also, it's pretty unique looking, there really isn't anything else like it on the road. I'd consider one, but I hear bad things about reliability and BMW's are not known for their cheap and easy repairs...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I drove an i3 and really liked it, reason I ended up with the Volt (gen 1, used) was cost. I couldn't bring myself to pay so much for the i3. Of course now they have very cheap lease deals and you can get better prices. Range extender and ease of finding place to service the Volt is nice.

Welcome Oleg, hope you enjoy your Volt!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I've had my Gen 2 Volt now for about almost 4 months and have put almost 5k miles on it. So far I am loving it as my daily driver. Prior to purchasing, I checked out the used Gen 1 Volt, Nissan Leaf (they can be found for under $10k on eBay sometimes), and I actually looked at a 2012 Tesla Model S with 20k miles on it listed in the upper 40's.

My daily commute is either 40 miles or 200 miles depending on whether I am driving to my office so the Volt is a great fit in that regard.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good to see you are supporting your fellow software engineers by purchasing a Volt! Lots of software in that car. My salesman told me many of his Volt buyers were engineers (including me).

·
Registered
238 Posts
Cannot post it yet. Says:
To be able to post links or images your post count must be greater. You currently have 1 posts.
I believe you're allowed to post pictures after a couple of posts. Looking forward to those pictures 👍🏼

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats, I would like to hear more on the range performance of the tires over time . . .
Sorry it took me so long to reply.
In city I have not noticed any significant change in range, I still average 90-95 km - maybe 3-5% less than with stock tires.
On freeway it could be an issue though. It is really hard to give exact numbers, but I would say I lose 10-20%.
To my taste it handles noticeably better though. The car feels flat. It also has better grip in rain and starts from complete stop faster, more confidently.
BUT... It is also stiffer; and I believe not everyone will like it.
Whoever is in my area, you are welcome to visit me and I will give you a ride. :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey Oleg, welcome to the forum. I would love to hear your thoughts on the i3. I haven't had the opportunity to sit/test drive one, but every time I am up close to one I really like the interior space. It's very clean and minimal, yet it seems very functional. Also, it's pretty unique looking, there really isn't anything else like it on the road. I'd consider one, but I hear bad things about reliability and BMW's are not known for their cheap and easy repairs...
For me i3 feels better balanced, better fit and finish, slightly more upscale, more predictable.
What I did not like about i3:
- the tires are too slim and there is no option to upgrade them
- just one regen mode
- the ride is too stiff for my taste
- too easy to slide to sides, not much lateral grip
- the seats are too stiff too

Reliability. I owned 325i before. Bought it new in 2002 and had it for 7 years. In short, it was a never ending repair... The car was fun to drive though.

And now Bolt is coming! Range is so much better than i3's. And Bolt looks nicer in my opinion.
For me the only i3 advantage over Bolt is that it is RWD; but probably many people get used to and prefer FWD.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FK RT-57 18x8 offset 40

Here is the pic from manufacturer:

FK-RT-57.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts