GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm Fernando and I live in Europe.(Portugal)

I have an Opel Ampera (volt) and recently bought on ebay a voltec charger (2013).

The problem is that here in Europe we have 220v !!!

The charger is 120v 60hz 12A 1440w ...:(

I saw here that there is possibility of converting it to L2 and working with 220v.

I ask for your help in this matter ... I love the car and I wish I could use this charger.

Attached photo of the charger attached.

Thank you all:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think all you need is a 120 to 220 V adapter plug that is available from E-Bay or China & possibly a local store. Not positive on the EVSE but there is a listing of units that work well with 220 Volt. This is probably the best link to look at.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it will be tricky unless you can get some 110 V into the unit. I don't think that is very common in Europe.
You might do better to just purchase a 220 Volt L2 charger. I hear they are only about US$200.
I suspect others here can give you a link to one.
Might look here.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the transformer in this EVSE can be configured for 220V, but needs moderate skills

If you are skilled in electronics and willing to hack this a bit, or can work with someone who is, you can reconfigure the transformer, Triad VPP36-070 to have its primary configured in series, for 230V operation, versus parallel, for 120V operation.

There's a data sheet and diagrams at the link I provided above.

Doing this would permanently convert to a 240V operation - unlike the approach shown in the YouTube video, where one can configure plug adaptors to get operation from 240V with neutral, or 120V. Given where you live, this shouldn't be an issue. The issue is in hacking in the the PCBA and reconfiguring how the transformer primary is wired.

If you don't know what I mean by this, you should not try this on your own.

-Lumos,

[fixed my error from the original posting, where I had series and parallel bass backwards!]

·
Registered
212 Posts
to have its primary configured in parallel, for 230V operation, versus series, for 120V operation.
Pretty sure that is backwards - It wants to be in series for 230 V operation. Thanks for the spec sheet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think all you need is a 120 to 220 V adapter plug that is available from E-Bay or China & possibly a local store. Not positive on the EVSE but there is a listing of units that work well with 220 Volt. This is probably the best link to look at.
I built a 240 V adapter plug and left it at one of my destinations permanently.
While there I use my stock EVSE charge cable (no mods) with the adapter (fused).
The EVSE does limit charging to 12A, so the power charge level is
240v X 12A = 2880 Watts

I would assume that if I was on a 220V circuit it would be:
220V x 12 A = 2640 Watts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks, Manitoba Keith, that is a big whoops on my part. Yes, series for 240v to the primary, and parallel for 120V. The Triad data sheet is clear on this too, so people don't have to guess about strangers posting to bulletin boards mis-stating facts.

I'll edit my post to note I had it wrong .

-Lumos

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.