GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first volt. The first thing I noticed was how dim the headlights were. And when I went to check the bulb, I noticed it was replaced with a 9006 LED bulb(pic below) and I noticed a heatsink in the housing... assuming the heatsink is aftermarket correct? Also, does anyone know who makes the bulb pictured below? Trying to find a similar L Shape LED bulb that has good down road visibility and lighting width wise as well. Not sure if anyone knows who made this kit either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The heatsink is OEM. It looks like somebody installed an LED bulb meant for backup light or indicator/signals. LED headlights should have some type of cooling on an attached driver or on the bulb itself due to the high light output.

You'll want to take those out and get real LED headlight bulbs; many are reviewed and linked across the forum.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Okay, went outside and pulled my headlight bulb on the drivers side and I can tell you that the heatsink you see in there is stock. It's probably for the LED daytime running lights I would assume.
No light output? No wonder with this crappy looking bulbs, hell OEM bulbs would be way better than those. If the LEDs are not in the same place as the filament in the original bulbs the light will be all over the place.

I used the 9012 GTR Lighting Ultra 2.0 and am quite happy with them but I know others will chime in with what has worked for them. There are lots of threads here about LED headlights.

Below is the pic I took of my headlights showing the heatsink.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The heatsink is OEM. It looks like somebody installed an LED bulb meant for backup light or indicator/signals. LED headlights should have some type of cooling on an attached driver or on the bulb itself due to the high light output.

You'll want to take those out and get real LED headlight bulbs; many are reviewed and linked across the forum.

I already pulled them. I was more curious about the heatsink as the diagram online didn't show it in the headlight. Thanks for the info

1 - 4 of 4 Posts