GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought Heatshields (https://www.heatshieldstore.com) for my cars windshields for years. Now our Volt has its own. Windshield screens/reflectors are an essential accessory for those of us who live in climates with HOT summers that love to destroy car interiors. You can buy generic ones at any FLAPS for a few dollars. However these are custom cut to match each cars unique windshield. Heatshields roll up and have a long strip of Velcro to keep it rolled when not in use. (Some people like folding ones that some competitors offer better, but so be it.) Mine have typically lasted about 10 years before they start getting saggy and need replacement.

I was amazed that they already have the 2016 Volts pattern in their portfolio. It arrived yesterday and is a perfect fit. Nice large square cutout in the mirror area for clearance around the housing on the windshield - though it doesn't completely work around the protrusion on the passengers side. I'm thinking maybe their pattern was based on a LT, rather than a Premier with DC 2.

·
Administrator
20,432 Posts
Thanks, I know some have tried the GM accessory and been disappointed with the quality.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I have used these on previous cars. They work well in some applications and not so well in others. On the Prius it was just too big and unwieldy.

On the Volt I decided I did not want to mess with products like this. I went ahead and had the front window tinted with a ceramic tint. It is almost clear and you would not know it was tinted unless someone told you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How's the material of Heatshield reflector? I have a generic one that I got on ebay for cheap and I'm planning to replace it for a more durable one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got the GM one with my 2012... After each use, I had to clean the glass because it made a 'film' (on the glass) after a few hours of cooking... I trashed it after a few weeks of use.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How's the material of Heatshield reflector? I have a generic one that I got on ebay for cheap and I'm planning to replace it for a more durable one.
The shiny side is backed by a stiff, yet thin, foam like material. There is also a black cloth edging sewn around the perimeter. The Velcro strap is also attached, so it won't get lost.

It takes a few years, but eventually the foam weakens and it starts to sag. Just don't ever try to fold it, or throw it on the floor where the kids will step on it. Really shortens the lifetime.

I've not noticed much out-gassing. Usually that film on the windshield is from the plasticizers in the vinyl dash top. Using a windshield reflector when parked in the sun is an important way to keep the dashboards looking good for many years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have bought Heatshields.
I was amazed that they already have the 2016 Volts pattern in their portfolio. It arrived yesterday and is a perfect fit.
Do you recommend getting one for the rear window as well?

Like you, I live in the Bay Area too & mostly park outside.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Do you recommend getting one for the rear window as well?

Like you, I live in the Bay Area too & mostly park outside.
My main concern has always been to avoid dash cracks, so I have only bought front ones. Up to you on the rears.

Their manufacturing facility used to be in Sunnyvale (and before that, in Mountain View.) I would order one, then stop by when it was ready to save on shipping costs. However they have recently moved down to Morgan Hill, so I had the one for the Volt shipped.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Their manufacturing facility used to be in Sunnyvale (and before that, in Mountain View.) I would order one, then stop by when it was ready to save on shipping costs. However they have recently moved down to Morgan Hill, so I had the one for the Volt shipped.
Be local, Buy local. I like that :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks. Got pics?

I have bought Heatshields (https://www.heatshieldstore.com) for my cars windshields for years. Now our Volt has its own. Windshield screens/reflectors are an essential accessory for those of us who live in climates with HOT summers that love to destroy car interiors. You can buy generic ones at any FLAPS for a few dollars. However these are custom cut to match each cars unique windshield. Heatshields roll up and have a long strip of Velcro to keep it rolled when not in use. (Some people like folding ones that some competitors offer better, but so be it.) Mine have typically lasted about 10 years before they start getting saggy and need replacement.

I was amazed that they already have the 2016 Volts pattern in their portfolio. It arrived yesterday and is a perfect fit. Nice large square cutout in the mirror area for clearance around the housing on the windshield - though it doesn't completely work around the protrusion on the passengers side. I'm thinking maybe their pattern was based on a LT, rather than a Premier with DC 2.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another option/co option is to tint the windshield and the rest of the glass. I did my front with clear tint and if I recall correctly it blocks 56 percent of the heat all the time even while driving. The actual tinted glass on the sides and rear have a much higher blockage of heat. It works awesome on the volt. Ac use is drastically reduced and comfort is maxed out because sun blazing into half the car doesn't leave one person hot and another freezing. I also use a windshield screen through summer but it is less important to get a perfect fit

·
Registered
483 Posts

Picture, please?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems like the Heatshield is cheaper on Amazon (inc. shipping) than on heatshield.com. Same product, right?
http://www.amazon.com/Sunshade-Chev...&qid=1460900677&sr=1-5&keywords=2016+volt+sun
Sorry for the delay in noticing your post. Yes, that is the same product. Not sure about the part number though, as it says "no sensor". They may make a different cut out by the mirror for those of us with the extra camera and such. Mine doesn't completely go around the protrusions, but it doesn't really bother me.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just purchased a Covercraft UVS100 for my 2017 Volt (I know, wrong forum) and am disappointed with the fit / height. The width if fine, but if the bottom edge of the shade is snug against the intersection of the windshield and the dash, the top edge of the shade misses the visors. If you pull shade up a few inches, then it can be held in place with the visors.

That's kind of a bummer for a $60+ custom shade. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just purchased a Covercraft UVS100 for my 2017 Volt (I know, wrong forum) and am disappointed with the fit / height. The width if fine, but if the bottom edge of the shade is snug against the intersection of the windshield and the dash, the top edge of the shade misses the visors. If you pull shade up a few inches, then it can be held in place with the visors.

That's kind of a bummer for a $60+ custom shade. Maybe I'm missing something?
I bought the heatshield for my 2017 volt. I made sure to order the heatshield with sensors. It fits really good.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks to this thread I got a Heatshield for sensor cars from Amazon for my 2017.
Its works really well. Unlike the horrible factory one which I'll now throw away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts