GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so the heat on my volt is not working unless I'm using the ICE.. IS this covered under drivetrain warranty? I'm definitely out of the bumper to bumper period, but im hoping it's still covered. It's a 2015.

The strange thing is that i would see the heat and a/c indicators go on and off, or sometimes on at the same time (i have the heat set to hi and it's been running for at least 10-15mins but no heat whatsoever).

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
What do you mean heat set to high? The system knowing the heater draws a lot of battery juice is very conservative in it's usage. I set it to comfort, 22.5C and fan turned up and it manages to hold its own in just above 0C. If you want warmer air you have to nudge it to let it know, "yes, I really want warmer air HAL" and have the temp setting higher than you normally would. I preheat while plugged in to get the windows warm so they won't tend to fog up (high humidity here). Don't have any experience with "real' winter weather so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
What kind of power usage are you seeing in the power screen ? With the heater running it should draw 6kW or about. If it's staying around .5-1 then it sounds like something going on with the heater module and should be covered under the Voltec warranty. It may also be a stuck/sticking coolant control valve which switches between engine created heat and heater module heat. If that is stuck in the "engine heat" mode, you won't get hot water flowing through the core in EV mode. This part however I don't believe is covered under the Voltec or power train warranty. I've had that particular valve replaced on mine and it was a $350 repair.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response! In regards to high, if you keep pressing the up button to raise the temp, it will hit HI if you press it enough. And yes, I set mine to COMFORT as well. I haven't tried pre-heating while plugged in, i'm hping that still works if in case this doesn't get covered by the warranty.

And the winter weather here is not that bad, but it does get in the 40's and 50's (4.4-10C).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What kind of power usage are you seeing in the power screen ? With the heater running it should draw 6kW or about. If it's staying around .5-1 then it sounds like something going on with the heater module and should be covered under the Voltec warranty. It may also be a stuck/sticking coolant control valve which switches between engine created heat and heater module heat. If that is stuck in the "engine heat" mode, you won't get hot water flowing through the core in EV mode. This part however I don't believe is covered under the Voltec or power train warranty. I've had that particular valve replaced on mine and it was a $350 repair.
I'm definitely not seeing the 6kw. THat would be cool if that's covered under warranty! I'll have to contact my local dealership and see.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts