GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in my head or it's actually happening. The auto heated seats are disabled in the center stack. While in the middle of a drive, it seems like the drivers side seat is hotter than it should be. I verified the seat heater is off.

Has anyone noticed their seat is hotter than it should be and perhaps the seat heater is coming on even without pushing the button?

·
Registered
449 Posts
You might take surface temperatures to verify that the seat is heating up when it shouldn't. If it is, time for a dealer visit.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Isn't there a light showing that the seat heater is on? But yes, the seats can turn on automatically if you have them set that way. I do because it's rarely that cold (sorry steverino) and a little seat heat makes things comfy on the few days when it's chilly out and the heater is off. Or you can turn them on by mistake.

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you feel brave, have opportunity to escape, and have a fire extinguisher handy (I'm serious), you could try this: next time you experience this phenomenon and the heated seats button still shows as off, try forcing it on anyway. If the seat gets significantly warmer, then chances the heated seats were off before and it was all in your head. One caveat, though, is if somehow the heated seats can become super hot indicating a much more serious issue for the dealer to address. That's where the escape route and fire extinguisher come in.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Non-contact IR thermometers come in handy for all kinds of tasks: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...mometer&rh=i:aps,k:ir+non-contact+thermometer

We use ours for verifying simmering temperatures of liquid food items, winter-time remediation of cold spots on ceilings and walls, spot-checking electronic circuitry temperatures, etc. Food inspectors use them at restaurants on certain items as well. Perfect for comparing seat fabric temperatures.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Yes, if the settings are aligned the seat heaters come on. In my 2013, I accidentally hit the seat heater button while changing the radio settings the first couple months I had it. They even come on with the A/C blasting if the button is hit.

In all cases, the leds lit when the seat heater was activated.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you have the climate control set to auto the seat heat comes on automatically and also goes off automatically. Maybe the heat is coming on and then off and you don't notice it. The seat has three temperatures which is indicated by LED's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it true that 100% of the time, whether it be automatic or manual, when the seat heater comes on, the LED's will as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
If working properly, there's no situation that the seat heater should be on while the LED's are off. So if you check the temp and confirm it is coming on with no LED, have the dealer check it out.

On the other hand, maybe my passenger seat LED's & buttons are linked to your driver's seat. I had my teenage daughter in the passenger seat the other night for the first time and I cranked her seat to level 3 without her knowing it...ten minutes later she still had not noticed anything so I asked her about it, she said she couldn't even tell the difference. I feel like my pants are on fire on level 3 after just 2-3 minutes!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you have the climate control set to auto the seat heat comes on automatically and also goes off automatically. Maybe the heat is coming on and then off and you don't notice it. The seat has three temperatures which is indicated by LED's.
This has happened to me too. (But I want this behavior). Check auto climate settings and confirm they are off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
In case anyone is curious, here is a thermal FLIR image of the driver's seat on level II (of III) heat.
Heated driver seat2.jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts