GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this before:
I will precondition before leaving home then switch to fan only mode to help keep the windshield from fogging. With just using the heated seat and steering wheel heat I'm good to go. However after several minutes of running in this mode I will suddenly get full heat coming out of the system with ECO/MAX off. I end up turning the system off and waiting a minute or to before turning back on before it's fine again. This happens almost every day. The display clearly says "fan only mode". Is this normal and I just don't understand the system? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If you have the vent set to defrost, I think it will use heat or cooling as needed even though you have fan only selected.

·
Registered
648 Posts
If you have auto defog set in the config, vehicle settings, climate screen, it will sometimes run heat and cooling in fan only. Deselecting the box should fix it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I think it has to do with the auto defog/defrost setting also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same here. The auto defrost config setting didn't fix it. You have to turn the temp all the way down to get around it! Iv'e never heard of any dealer fix for it anyway...

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
Also, if the engine is running and the temperature is set high enough you will get hot air out of the vents.
In this fashion the Volt operates like any other ICE vehicle. Engine heat gets pumped into the cabin if the temp control is set high enough. If the ICE wasn't running, than maybe you have an issue. But man that would kill you range if you didn't need heat.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In my experience when you tell the car to defog the windows the car will basically do whatever needs to be done to get it done as quick as possible. Which IMO is a good thing. The few times I've gotten in my car with a completely fogged up interior, hit the max defog button and nearly instantly I can start seeing results.

I'm sure the car looks at outside temp and outside humidity to figure out how to best go about doing it, whether to apply full electrical heat power, cooling, etc etc.

Either way, I'm pretty happy with it, when you are needing to get somewhere, I'd rather burn a mile of EV range and get my windows clear and on the move, vs waiting around for the engine to warm up or sitting around waiting for ambient air to clear it up.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup. I complained about it to the dealer too who just blew nonsense about defrost. No it's not the "max" defrost and no it's not auto defog and NO the gas engine has not been running. It's when I simply have the upper vents selected, I think with or without either of the other two sets selected. It's easy to see if you have kilowatts showing and are just sitting parked as it uses up to 7. It seems like a very clear design defect (software bug) but very difficult to convince the service guys about because they just think it's normal or that I don't know which buttons I've pushed. But it makes no sense for it to work this way since there is a "max defrost" button right there if you do want or need to burn range to clear the windshield. By the way it seems to behave If I turn down the temperature to 64, doesn't have to be all the way down though maybe it just hasn't been cold enough when I've tried.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts