GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in hot climate advice. Easy 7 mile commute to work uses 1.4 kw of fully charged battery. I cannot plug in at my parking garage. About to enter a four month period of daytime temperatures well above 90. I have reviewed the old post on cooling, but am interested to hear what current thoughts are and how others similarly situated have dealt with keeping battery cool during the work day without the ability to plug in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I don't think you will have any problems with such a high battery charge. The car will use the battery to cool the battery, right? This is my first summer too (temps above 90 here this week). It will be interesting to see how this affects battery levels. For the last couple years we have been hitting 100s for a dozen of days during the summer.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You don't need to do anything special. It's a car. Just drive it. And take care of it like you would any other car. IMHO, of course.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Ambient temps are important, but so is solar heating. Since you'll be out of direct sun light I would think the Volt would use very little power cooling itself. I on the other hand have to park outside in direct sunlight for 9 to 10 hours a day here in St Louis, I suspect my car will use alot more juice cooling itself. How much will it reduce my battery EV mileage is unkown, but I doubt it'll consume a full mile of EV power.

It hasn't yet, I park and my battery reads 35 miles and when I leave after work it still reads the same as when I parked it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I thought that the car would only cycle coolant around the battery when it was plugged in. Is this not so? Am I correct in now understanding that it will cool the battery due to excessive temperature even when it is parked and NOT plugged in?

Help me out tech guys. My car is parked in direct sun all day in the Phoenix summer. I've been carrying my charge cord to work to plug in so the battery stays cool but it's a hassle to do so. Is this unnecessary? I have plenty of battery charge left when I get to work.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
A Chevy Volt may not injure its Battery or, through inaction, allow its battery to come to harm.
A Chevy Volt must obey the orders given to it by the charge cable, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A Chevy Volt must protect its BATTERY as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Imagine your 80 years old (nothing against old folks! :)) and you just bought a volt, no idea what it is. This is what Chevrolet built the car to handle, I have no doubt. Now relax.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm in Florida and asked a similar question a few weeks ago. ChrisC provided me good information that was completely different than what I had assumed to be the case. He may chime in here, but let me try to paraphrase his response:

Heat will damage the battery when the battery is more fully charged. If the battery has less than 75% charge, the cooling system won't run on the Volt even if it is hot and plugged in. That's because there is little risk of damage if the battery is drawn down some.

So if you drive 7 miles before parking it, you'll probably be below 75% state of charge so your battery should be safe from heat damage. Remember, the fully charged battery is at 85%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your comments!

After reviewing these and then looking over a very informative post from ChrisC here is what i think i understand. If I am not plugged in, and my battery drops below 75% SOC (state of charge?), then no cooling will occur no matter what the outside temperature is.

VoltDolt, your comment suggests that cooling does not happen because heat is not an serious issue when the battery is below 75% SOC. From earlier threads, I had seen folks talking about leaving their cars on so that the cooling would continue after 75%, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

My takeaway, don't park in the sun if I can avoid it, plug in if I can, but otherwise don't worry about it. Any dissenting views?

·
Registered
115 Posts
A Chevy Volt may not injure its Battery or, through inaction, allow its battery to come to harm.
A Chevy Volt must obey the orders given to it by the charge cable, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
A Chevy Volt must protect its BATTERY as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

I laughed out loud. Not sure if anyone else did, but I got it. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts