GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A Heads Up Display would be nice. GM already has the technology and implementation down from the various GM cars that have (had) them. I have a Grand Prix with one now and can't imagine driving without it. I was sad to see the new G8 (Aussie Holden Commodore) doesn't have one.

Having to move my head and re-focus my eyes to check speed, radio station, etc when I drive a non-HUD car reminds me of how great the HUD is. It's not that I'm totally lazy, it just seems dangerous now when I have to search for my speed instead of just having it within my field of view while still looking at the road.

Anyway, I can't imagine it costs much; it's really a reflected LCD display. For a car that seems to be aimed as much at high-tech people as tree-huggers this seems like a no-brainer option.

·
Registered
718 Posts
HUD would be nice on a volt

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I had an '89 Grand Prix with the HUD. I've been amazed it hasn't become much more prevalent. I'm actually surprised it's not standard. With one there is no way to say you didn't know how fast you were going or if your high beams or your turn signals were on or you didn't know you were running out of gas. It's almost subliminal.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I have had them on various cars before. Too much info can be distracting. It's nice to see the spedo and perhaps the warning messages. Otherwise it gets to be distracting.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I definitely would like a user-customizable HUD on the Volt. (GM, are you listening!?)

Actually this idea has been suggested a number of times before. If the Camaro can have it, why exactly doesn't the Volt??? Put it as an option, at least.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are the HUD head up display manufacturer in China. HUD is good thing and can improve the safety when drive at night avoid to look down to the instrument. But you have to know when your car made, with OBDI or OBDII, otherwise HUD will can not work if your car's protocol is not compatible with the HUD. Our HUD is work for all cars made after 2003year or2006 year with OBDII.
Our 5" wireless bluetooth HUD is very welcome to all users. But we have many items for you to choose. Any techinic question, feel free to contact our engineer. www.pdm-electronic.com [email protected]

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Do you have a model made in the US?

I've had enough experiance with products made in China to know I would like to avoid it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks like they may have snuck a heads up display into the 2016 Volt. See my post about my mystery on the dashboard.
If you're talking about the rectangular thing (hole) just in front of the windshield, it's a red light that appears on the glass if you're going to rear end another car (or an object I believe). Check your owner manual for more détails (it's with one of the safety options).

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I really think they should have added this to the Gen1 vs now to the Gen2...A lot of people who loved it at first get sick of it and turn it off...There are lots and lots of OBDII HUDs on ebay for around $50...Get one and you'll probably turn it off after a month...With that being said I'm all about options...

Now Navdy and a few other expensive HUD products will read your emails/texts and you can interact with them by waving you hand (gestures)...That I would love to see; thank goodness auto-braking will eventually become standard on all light duty GM vehicles...lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts