GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we bought our chevy volt 5/2015. since buying it 3 kids sitting in the back and in the passenger seat have complained of headache and feeling sick. then they vomit. then to my surprise it happened to me as well a few days ago. it only seems to happen when we are running on gas on the hwy, maybe 40/45 miles into our drive.
has anyone else had this problem and if so, any answers?

thanks

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
No one has reported what you have. Some have reported what seems to be motion sickness while yours seems to be related to using the gas engine. Could the hatch not be sealing completely, allowing exhaust fumes in?

Also, please refrain from double posting. We'll just delete the extra threads.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
motion sickness from EMF in volt??

we bought our chevy volt 5/2015. since buying it 3 kids sitting in the back and in the passenger seat have complained of headache and feeling sick. then they vomit. then to my surprise it happened to me as well a few days ago. it only seems to happen when we are running on gas on the hwy, maybe 40/45 miles into our drive. Were trying to figure out if some poeple of more sensitive to the EMF in car or if it's maybe the shape of the windshield. In the Acura suv we had and in our Honda Accord no one gets sick so this is out of the norm for us.
has anyone else had this problem? I feel stuck. Like now I have this car everyone is getting sick in and I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone has input or suggestions, I'd so appreciate them. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
we bought our chevy volt 5/2015. since buying it 3 kids sitting in the back and in the passenger seat have complained of headache and feeling sick. then they vomit. then to my surprise it happened to me as well a few days ago. it only seems to happen when we are running on gas on the hwy, maybe 40/45 miles into our drive. Were trying to figure out if some poeple of more sensitive to the EMF in car or if it's maybe the shape of the windshield. In the Acura suv we had and in our Honda Accord no one gets sick so this is out of the norm for us.
has anyone else had this problem? I feel stuck. Like now I have this car everyone is getting sick in and I'm not sure what to do.

If anyone has input or suggestions, I'd so appreciate them. :laughing:
Loose bag compartment cover, which allows high-pitched noise from inverter to get into the cabin?

EMF inside Volt would be less than from normal car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Running on Gas? Your symptoms describe carbon monoxide poisoning. Sounds like you have an exhaust leak. I would get the car to a dealer ASAP

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Do you drive in LOW most of the time? If so try a trip leaving it in drive. As some one that has tracked my Corvette's and ridden along with others it's not uncommon for passengers in cars being driven at increased lateral and acceleration/deceleration "G" forces can cause the inner ear to get confused.

My wife complained of nausea when we first bought our Volt and once I stopped driving in LOW it went away. Most folks forget the car has that level deceleration and they lift off the throttle and then add some throttle and the car set up a slight undulation

There are actually posts on the Tesla forum re this phenomen.u

·
2,358 Posts
it only seems to happen when we are running on gas on the hwy, maybe 40/45 miles into our drive.
It's carbon monoxide poisoning. Don't drive the car. Get it towed to a dealer and tell them there's an exhaust leak and explain your symptoms.

Repeat: Do not drive the car until this gets fixed.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Drive more carefully. Your steering make others dizzy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
we bought our chevy volt 5/2015. since buying it 3 kids sitting in the back and in the passenger seat have complained of headache and feeling sick. then they vomit. then to my surprise it happened to me as well a few days ago. it only seems to happen when we are running on gas on the hwy, maybe 40/45 miles into our drive.
has anyone else had this problem and if so, any answers?

thanks
Never, but you should have a qualified Volt mechanic check for exhaust leaks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I would be very concerned about carbon monoxide poisoning as the others have stated. Take the car in ASAP.

This seems to be one of the downsides of the technology in the Volt and peoples tendencies. When someone describes a problem that in a regular car would immediately be associated with a leaking exhaust system, in the Volt, people tend to blame new technology in the car first. (EMF, driving in L, etc).

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I'd have to go with Steverino unless you think a high pitched whine would induce vomiting. Possible of course, but it's also possible that the trip itself is creating anxiety which, in turn, is causing the vomiting. Motion sickness is usually alleviated/altered by seat position, so the fact that sitting in the back or front doesn't change anything suggests it is not motion sickness.

The suggestion of exhaust leaks is a good one but leaves open the question of why only the children are affected. Children can be more sensitive but the adults should experience some symptoms.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's carbon monoxide poisoning. Don't drive the car. Get it towed to a dealer and tell them there's an exhaust leak and explain your symptoms.

Repeat: Do not drive the car until this gets fixed.
Or just charge it and drive to a dealer on battery. Far more convenient...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah me being sick happen on 9/16 but the light bulb didn't go off til then next day. They tested me for CO and I'll get the results today. The only reason we didn't think CO for sure was because it doesn't happen ALL THE time. Basically 4 or 5 times since we bought the car in May.
I just went this morning and bought a CO monitor to put in my car since all the dealers in the area aren't available today.
I hope we figure out something ASAP because I am so scared and don't want to be poisoning my family and not knowing it.

I did go and get a report on all the work done on the car and there was something done with the emission canister and hose being replaced. I was wondering if they didn't do it correctly for whatever reason could that be the problem?
Really I want to find out for myself and other volt owners, is getting motion sickness, or a leak, or whatever the case may be a common thing because I hate paying on something that is going to keep getting my family sick.
Btw, thank you everyone for your feedback.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
788 Posts
lol, roll the windows down, no more CO poisoning.

Seriously, what are the kids doing when they get sick? Looking out the window? Or, playing with phones/tablets, reading, watching DVDs?

·
Administrator
20,667 Posts
is getting motion sickness, or a leak, or whatever the case may be a common thing
Getting motion sickness in a car depends mostly on the person. For people who get motion sickness, looking out the windows of the car or boat helps. Reading a book will normally aggravate motion sickness for example. So, if you are sensitive to motion sickness, look out the windows, not down at your lap.

As far as a possible carbon monoxide leak, no, it's not a common thing. I dont think we have had a single report.

We HAVE had a few reports of a misalignment of the rear hatch and gasket which can allow some outside air into the car. It's possible to suck in exhaust that way. This is why I asked you about that since you reported the sickness being associated with the ICE running. Try driving with the windows open. If at high speed, only roll the windows down about 1-2 inches or you'll get air hammering. Also turn on the fan. This will blow air through the cabin. If everyone is fine, well, there may be some fumes getting in the car somehow (hatch?).

·
Registered
3,804 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
my 3 year old was just sitting in her car seat. my 8 year old was just talking with her grandma. my niece was in the front seat just singing, and when it happen to me I was just driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Norton: You could go to a local general aviation airport and buy a carbon monoxide detector.
It's a small plastic card that has crystals that change colors in the presence of CO.

Me: Can't I just go to walmart and get one, put it in the car and see if it goes off? Is there a difference

1 - 20 of 32 Posts