GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you all think about having a Head Up Display option for the Volt?
What sort of data would you like to see?
What projection color(s) would you use?

To me it seems only fitting that the Volt, which is the pinnacle of automotive technology, should have such a super cool piece of tech, at least as an option. In fact, it's almost a travesty that the Camaro has it and the Volt does not. GM, are you listening??? (I am willing to pay for features, and most people will be glad for more options than less...) ;)

http://www.camaro5.com/2011-camaro-heads-up-display-hud-feature-photos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqL5cFS2ji8&feature=related

Edit: I think any type of useful tech feature (a HUD is particularly useful) ought to be available at least as an option on the Volt (I'd be saving up a little longer and be getting it fully loaded.)

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd like a HUD for the Volt. My '99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP had a HUD, and I do miss it in the Volt.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I had a Bonneville SSEI with an OEM HUD and thought it was so great that I have setup aftermarket HUDs in every car I’ve had since. The challenge for OEM is the special film/coating needed to be imbedded in the windshield. This adds a great deal more cost to the windshield than one might think and is the primary reason one doesn’t find these all over.

Aftermarket options are slim and the first ones I used required tapping a car’s computer module for a “pulse-per-second” speed signal. This became more and more challenging with time due to increased automotive computers and harnesses.

What I use now is GPS based and requires only 12v power leads. Downside is the small reflective rectangle you need to adhere to the windshield, and at the exact spot it needs to be once you locked in your devices mounting location. They don’t look too bad and are legal in most states due to their size.

The one I have in the Volt is adjusted so it appears to hover just below my level line of sight forward. I simply don’t even see it there until I look for it. A bit pricey but they can be found for $80 if you are diligent. I have found these to be quite accurate and reliable

GPS HUD (I have)

GPS HUD (Different Model)

Cheers and Happy New Year all!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Like!

(obligitory additional characters...)

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I've been playing with torque on an Nexus 1 (android device) and OBDII interface. torque has a nice HUD mode and I can get various speed/RPM and such from it. (HUD works well at night, might need to add a small semi-patch for day). After I get more data that is useful (i.e. EV efficiency), I'll post more about it. But if you want an aftermarket HUD, an OBDII, torque and an android (maybe tablet) is an expensive way to get there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are the HUD head up display manufacturer in China. HUD is good thing and can improve the safety when drive at night avoid to look down to the instrument. But you have to know when your car made, with OBDI or OBDII, otherwise HUD will can not work if your car's protocol is not compatible with the HUD. Our HUD is work for all cars made after 2003year or2006 year with OBDII.

Our 5" wireless bluetooth HUD is very welcome to all users. But we have many items for you to choose. Any techinic question, feel free to contact our engineer. www.pdm-electronic.com [email protected]

http://www.pdm-electronic.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=262

·
Registered
652 Posts
I had a HUD on my '97 Grand Prix and although I thought the car was poorly made (typical of GM at that time) I loved the HUD and have missed it a lot. The large white speed readout on the instrument cluster probably makes it less necessary on the Volt, but I would still like to have it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts