GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2012 Volt (his name is Spike, of course) was made in August, 2011, and was a dealer car, but I have only had him three weeks (before I took him to the dealer for some shakedown issues and "recalls" [be careful to not say "recall" to your Volt Adviser, though]).

Spike does have the nav system, and the window sticker clearly says "30GB Audio Hard Drive". But...

When I press the HDD/AUX button, the HDD icon is disabled.

I thought maybe this was a "disable" / "enable" sort of setting, but one of the Volt Advisers was just lookin' through the nav manual, which I can do myself, and didn't seem to know anything about the HDD having the capability of being enabled or disabled.

His guess is that the first time I record something, the HDD will spring to life. I'll certainly try that when I get Spike back, but...

Does anybody on this forum know of other cases where the HDD can't be seen? Could it really just be a "first use" sort of thing?

I would [normally?] expect that pressing "HDD/AUX' would leave the HDD button enabled, and at least show me the free space (of the empty storage area).

If I learn anything useful I'll pass it on to the dealer while they still have the car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
There has to be some sort of content on the HDD to "enable" it. Otherwise, since there is nothing to access it will be "disabled". Same is true for the AUX & USB ports.

VIN # B0985

·
Super Moderator
6,380 Posts
You can RECord from a USB stick as well. Just press REC when something is playing (CD/USB).

Record something. Put in a CD. Or record a song off the radio. It will become enabled.
AFAIK you cannot record off the radio. The "DVR" saves the 20 minutes buffer on the harddisk we believe but that is not saved in such a way the HDD icon would then show up. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts