GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting this thread at the request of another. I noticed that the new Volt lacks HD Radio. I use it extensively, and do not like the low audio quality in satellite radio, nor do I wish to pay extra for what is free over the air. Given that I can't just replace the head unit in a Volt like I did in my Jeep, does anyone have any ideas for how to add HD Radio support to a Gen2 Volt?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basic one, not a fan of Bose and intend to replace the amp/speakers at some point.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Slightly on-topic: the ELR has HD Radio. Just sayin'.
So is the part that enables it able to work with the Gen2 Volt? I don't know much about the ELR, but if it shares a control scheme/head unit perhaps the Volt could be upgraded.

On the two solutions above, the first looks ancient and like it was designed for a previous generation GM radio. I have no idea if it would work or not. The second is not seamless, I might as well just stream via the IHeartRadio app instead.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
So is the part that enables it able to work with the Gen2 Volt? I don't know much about the ELR, but if it shares a control scheme/head unit perhaps the Volt could be upgraded.

On the two solutions above, the first looks ancient and like it was designed for a previous generation GM radio. I have no idea if it would work or not. The second is not seamless, I might as well just stream via the IHeartRadio app instead.
Sorry, the ELR's CUE system is an entirely different Android-based architecture, and I believe comes from a different supplier than Chevy's MyLink. Speaking of MyLink, I had the pleasure recently of experiencing the MyLink offered in the latest Chevy Suburban and was mightily impressed. Great graphics and ease of use. The Nav display was especially beautiful, and in the 3D view actually showed the terrain elevations in the mountainous area we were driving in. Does anyone know if the newest Volt does that? Pretty trick.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The TuneIn App that is offered on both Android and iPhone OS provides access to most of the commercial radio station HD channels. Choose local radio option and all FM stations with HD channels are displayed for selection. Not sure if your a fan of Android or iPhone audio quality but this certainly a viable option vs installing a 3rd party HD radio tuner. I believe the FM HD 1, 2 & 3 channels are still at a lower radiated power level than the standard analog FM signal. Thus HD reception for channels 2 & 3 will not be as good and will experience dropout where as the primary HD 1 channels blends into the standard FM signal when it drops out. For reliability your probably better off with the TuneIN App on Android or iPhone over WiFi or LTE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts