GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buying a 2012 techie car one would think it would include digital radio (HD Radio). I know you (GM) is trying to push for XM subscriptions but hey, local radio is needed and analog FM is old hat especially for a vehicle like the Volt. Hopefully there is a software add-on for this as nobody owning this kind of car wants an extra box dangling around.

For this GM gets the ole (ESPN Monday nite footballs) C'mon man award.

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ter-and-uses-50-less-energy&p=99060#post99060
Peeves me off that they didn't include IBOC (HD Radio). There are two classical and jazz stations in my city (Fort Wayne) that broadcast on the HD 2nd and 3rd channels of the NPR station.
Would appear Bose in general does not do HD radio.

After a quick search it appears there may be alternatives. Perhaps you want to start new thread for this topic?
yes-you-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how.html which lead me to this: http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=38

·
Registered
915 Posts
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...ter-and-uses-50-less-energy&p=99060#post99060
Would appear Bose in general does not do HD radio.

After a quick search it appears there may be alternatives. Perhaps you want to start new thread for this topic?
yes-you-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/...-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how.html which lead me to this: http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=38
I was under the impression we don't have bose head units, we have Bose speakers and an Amp

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
And this doesn't explain why the standard radio doesn't have HD radio either. I just looked and I'm surprised that there are 13 HD radio stations in my area.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the Peripheral Electronics HD Radio solution installed on my 2009 Chevy Impala. It performed wonderfully, but did not respond to the 6 analogue pushbuttons for "favorites" that the standard GM radio had. Thus, for AM and FM HD and analogoue stations, you had to go through machinations involving other buttons and remembering functionality in order to use this device. I believe that it would not work for the Volt because of the tightly integrated firmware of the radio/Nav system although I do miss HD radio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
According to Chevy/MyLink Chat, we DO have HD radio!

After fretting about this issue since buying my fully loaded '13 Volt at the end of June, I finally got online with a Chevy chat rep for MyLink. Using my VIN, s/he confirmed that I DO have HD radio, automatically. Has anyone received any contrary information?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Yeah, is there any difference between Digital FM and HD FM?

I get all the artist and and song info on FM channels, and Great sound.
Isn't that HD FM?

Maybe not.
There used to be different Channels available on the same station number.
I had a car I installed an HD FM in and FM 102-1 would have music and 102-2 would have comedy.
And it would tune to analog and then 2 sec. later switch to the digital signal and the difference was dramatic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm wondering if this was a red herring, or something corrected in the 2013 Volt. I hope that Chevy will set the record straight; I've messaged the moderator, who last posted in 2010. In the meantime, please check out this link, where I connected with a Chevy rep just in the last hour:
http://www.chevrolet.com/mylink-touch-screen-radio-technology.html
Love my Volt, looking to eliminate one concern!

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I'm wondering if this was a red herring, or something corrected in the 2013 Volt. I hope that Chevy will set the record straight; I've messaged the moderator, who last posted in 2010. In the meantime, please check out this link, where I connected with a Chevy rep just in the last hour:
http://www.chevrolet.com/mylink-touch-screen-radio-technology.html
Love my Volt, looking to eliminate one concern!
The 2014 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pick-up trucks are now at dealerships offering the expanded audio features of digital AM and FM broadcasts delivered with HD Radio Technology. The Silverado and Sierra join a number of other GM vehicles with HD Radio Technology that are already available at dealerships including, the Chevrolet Traverse and Impala, the Buick Enclave, the Cadillac ATS, CTS, SRX and XTS, and the GMC Acadia.

More General Motors Vehicles Arrive At Dealers With HD Radio™ Technology

Sorry but no mention of the Volt in the list of current GM HD Radio equipped vehicles...

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Yeah pete,

I want my : HD Radio offers crystal clear static free sound and more programming choices on local FM HD2/HD3 channels.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks, Somms. The evidence speaks to HD radio NOT even available for Volts. I wonder what it takes for Chevy to recognize the uncertaintly around this issue for techie owners and (a) confirm or deny the availability of HD Radio on Volts and (b) provide an upgrade modification for current owners to purchase, if appropriate.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Isn't HD radio like offering an 8 track tape changer in the car? With pandora and XM, what is gained with HD? I'm surprised AM is still around.... I've read, and I know how the media treats technology, HD signal and station reception isn't too swift in city areas. The HD signal tends to drift from HD to standard when signal strength is low, around buildings and such. If you detroiters recall, Drew and Mike in the morning, Drew was always complaining about his HD reception. I wish my '13 was able to read a DVD with all my mp3's instead of a dinky CD with no changer..that's I guess because thumb drives and the smart phone are able to feed the need.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
HD radio is extra, subscription free services. And it sounds like we are supposed to have it.
If we don't want to pay the price for XM, which has dropout issues, or streaming services, which have dropout issues, there is HD radio.
I had great HD radio reception in my area with another car . I get Digital FM just fine with the Volt, I should receive HD FM just fine also.

Come on, GM , you promised.

I want my HD Radio

You know it's just yet another free SW upgrade, right? (This is for the apologists)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Isn't HD radio like offering an 8 track tape changer in the car? With pandora and XM, what is gained with HD? I'm surprised AM is still around....
Pandora will use ~2 GB of data/month at 1 hour/day which tallies an added cellular cost. I have XM only because the analog FM reception on the Volt is poor due to subtle high frequency interference from the Voltec drive system. HD FM would fix the interference.

HD FM radio requires a special digital decoder chip (hardware) that the Volt does not currently have. My wife's Prius v has HD radio and it sounds substantially better and works well in the suburban Chicago area.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
don,

Just curious, do you have a reference for this statement:

"HD FM radio requires a special digital decoder chip (hardware) that the Volt does not currently have."

·
Registered
231 Posts
don,

Just curious, do you have a reference for this statement:

"HD FM radio requires a special digital decoder chip (hardware) that the Volt does not currently have."
iBiquity Digital Corp. holds the patent for HD radio and licenses radio stations and the DSP decoding chip technology used in radio receivers. TI and ST Micro are two suppliers of the single chip solutions deploying the HD Radio technology.

The iBiquity royalties on each HD radio receiver chip adds significantly to the cost of the radio which explains the slow and limited automotive acceptance.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Yes, all good info...

But the question was where does it say of all the GM products that have HD Radio, only the Volt does not receive the HD part of Digital FM?

Did you follow the link above from GM on this subject?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Continuing with the original thread, this is the kind of technical detail Volt owners would care about, one that a Chevy official could put to rest. If HD radio isn't already on our cars, please confirm, definitively. And if not, when will it be available? How can existing owners retrofit their Volts? Please respond to your owners.

·
Registered
199 Posts
None of the Mylink/Intellilink radios in this family (Silverbox and Display) Have the hardware for it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts