GM Volt Forum banner

HCS 40-P 240V EVSE

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Sheldon 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Dumb question here I'm sure, but I'm not up to speed on my home wiring like I should be. I'm looking to install a Level2 EVSE, and while I realize I could save a few bucks and get the Clipper Creek LCS-20, I'm thinking of future proofing a little and getting the HCS-40.

It's a 32amp charger, and I'm stealing a 30amp circuit that was run for a never used electric garage heater. Given that the Volt won't be pulling the extra amperage, I should be fine for now, and can just upgrade the breaker (and wires if the electrician tells me the gauage is too small) when the time comes that I'm using the extra juice, correct?

#2 · (Edited)
HCS 40-P

I think that is right. The volt will draw 15 amps on 240. If you are not going to use an adapter with the oem EVSE (gen 2 only), which is the cheapest way to go level 2 (about $70, but only gets you 12 amps), why not just get the cheap Duosida 16 amp dual voltage one (see separate thread). You max out on the volt 15 amp charging rate and it only costs about $140-160. I personally don't think it is worth the extra money for a 32 amp charger at this point when you don't know what kind of car you are going to get later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
If it's a 32 amp EVSE then it will need a 40 amp circuit, which would require 8 gauge wire and 40 amp breaker. It would be a code violation to have the unit wired to a 30 amp circuit. You would not overload the circuit with a Volt, but if someone plugged a Leaf or Bolt into it, the wire would overheat and breaker would probably trip.

#4 ·
True. The volt would be safe plugged in but you wouldn't want someone using it on a Tesla or other car that would pull more than 24 amps (max safe load is 80% continuous or 24 on a 30 line). Another reason not to go with the 32 amp EVSE at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Another thing to consider is that although the J1772 plug is pretty much standard today, that may not be the case in 10 years. And to be honest, unless you are driving 200+ miles/day, even at 15A the EVSE will still give you about 10 miles/hour to the battery, which should be more than enough on an overnight charge if you have a reasonable commute.

#8 ·
What's kind of ierestng is that Wu though volt, I felt like I really needed an L2 EVSE because the L1 caused my battery to be nearly on empty on weekends and it took so blasted long to fill in order to go somewhere. But if the car had 200+ mile capability, it certainly would have enough range to get me to enough places that I could probably life with an L1, while battery's charge level could meander up and down as needed since my cars do spend most night just sitting.

#10 ·
I have an HCS-40 at my other house. There is no selector switch to dial back the amps. You need a 40 amp line with 40 amp breaker. As per code, maximum continuous output is limited to 80% of the circuit capacity, which in this case is 32 amps.

It you plan on using an existing 30 amp line, easiest solution is a Clipper Creek LCS-30. It will deliver 24 amps which is enough to charge Bolt EV overnight. I have an LCS-30 at my condo.

#11 ·
If your heart is set on using the existing 30a wiring and breaker, set it up as a 14-30 outlet (or L14-30 round). Put a plug or adapter on the EVSE to match. That way nothing higher than 30a can be plugged into it.

Although I'd just redo it now to 14-50R to give the most safety and possibilities. Remove the old 30a breaker, replace with 50a breaker, use 6 gauge wires. Total parts are usually under $100. They make all sorts of adapters for 14-50 outlets since they are used for RVs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.